Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

Is this the LFT tests we were advised not to take for 90 days after having covid because it produces unacceptable levels of false positives?

Or am I confusing it with something else?

Whitty was asked this yesterday.  If I remember it was something to do with not being infectious if you returned a negative LFT.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is exactly how the data has been counted, so you are correct to say this. I'd imagine the actual number of positive cases are somewhat higher, since the data only includes "new cases" as far as I'm aware, so it wouldn't count those who have tested positive for a second time (don't know if this literally extends back to March 2020 or if there's a cut-off time).

Obviously you can take it to the logical endpoint that if every single person had covid in the last 28 days, then every single death would be counted as a covid death. If we knew the exact rate of hospitalisation in non-covid times we could probably start to disentangle the figures a bit.

There will obviously be official figures that include "genuine" covid deaths, ie where covid appears on the death certificate, but of course it's possible that some of the deaths outside of that category have been exacerbated by covid (or covid restrictions) in some way or other - for example missing out on treatment due to self-isolation and/or cancelled hospital appointments.

I remember in the summer of 2020 there was talk that Scotland wasn't having any Covid deaths as in 28 days post-test for a number of days but there were still deaths with Covid on the death certificate.  It used to be a bit of a talking point but you hear little of it now, presumably because deaths themselves have been greatly reduced.

Cases are low- look how well the restrictions are helping.

Cases are high- think how much higher they would if there was no restrictions.

Absolutely no evidence provided by NS about the success of such restrictions. Extremely frustrating. 

Just now, Louis Litt said:

I’m supposed to finish my isolation on Friday, should I be going back to work tomorrow or would I need to be testing negative today and then 24 hours later meaning I could only go in on Friday?

Rules apply from midnight tonight mate, so logically I’d say you need 2 negative LTF tests tomorrow and Thursday.

2 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Cases are low- look how well the restrictions are helping.

Cases are high- think how much higher they would if there was no restrictions.

Absolutely no evidence provided by NS about the success of such restrictions. Extremely frustrating. 

She just chooses one of those statements to justify them.  We can't win.

Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross asks the first minister why it took so long for Scotland to change its self-isolation rules when other parts of the UK had already done so.

Ms Sturgeon says she makes no apology for considering the matter "very carefully" and says the clinical advice she received was the risk of releasing people from isolation early would "outweigh the benefits".

While she says she thinks the change is proportionate at this stage, it is still not without risk.

"None of these things are straightforward", the FM says, adding that she will always be "accountable and open to scrutiny".

I’m quite encouraged that she’s realised her mistake here. She knows there’s no real appetite for the restrictions now and that they’re useless in any case. 

Yes, she’s talking a lot of shite to justify her actions to date but that’s just the politics of it. 

Even when she said ‘I’m not saying we give up on slowing infection rates’ it said to me that we’re pretty close to giving up. 

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

She just chooses one of those statements to justify them.  We can't win.

Was thinking exactly that too. She’s using any quotes, statistics (regardless of accuracy) and soundbites to suit her narrative.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m quite encouraged that she’s realised her mistake here. She knows there’s no real appetite for the restrictions now and that they’re useless in any case. 

Yes, she’s talking a lot of shite to justify her actions to date but that’s just the politics of it. 

Even when she said ‘I’m not saying we give up on slowing infection rates’ it said to me that we’re pretty close to giving up. 

She's never going to admit she's talking shite due to the nature of it all. Even when she's right, the opposition will be telling everyone she's wrong. Much easier to say what should be done when you'll never have the power to do it.

That goes for all political leaders too.

Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross asks the first minister why it took so long for Scotland to change its self-isolation rules when other parts of the UK had already done so.
Ms Sturgeon says she makes no apology for considering the matter "very carefully" and says the clinical advice she received was the risk of releasing people from isolation early would "outweigh the benefits".
While she says she thinks the change is proportionate at this stage, it is still not without risk.
"None of these things are straightforward", the FM says, adding that she will always be "accountable and open to scrutiny".
The risk outweighed the benefits when ONS said 1 in 40 had it.

Now that 1 in 20 have it, the risk doesnt outweigh the benefits.

Nae bother Nicola.