Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Dee Man said:

The booth. I assumed the booths were set up as separate workstations and to limit sound. Why would you not just set at a table in your house or even better, sit on your couch with your mobile scratching your nads?

I assumed he just meant the computer/phone and entire set up was the booth without the need for the partitioning.

Can I just say that anyone who feels their life was at risk, or even that they were at risk of even the most minor injury at their work, and carried on and did the job anyway is a fucking rocket, and is part of a huge problem in the UK that allows employers to get away with all sorts of unscrupulous things.

This is not limited to oil and gas of course, but that sort of behaviour is rife. We all have tales to tell about so called "black ops" and we should all be embarrassed.

Shamefully took me far too long to get to this mindset, but there we are.

24 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Aye...but you can't just jump into a debate in the middle and ignore what was posted previously. The post you were replying to was in response to a previous one and so on.

Fair enough. I didn't see the posts before so as far as I knew I was responding to a person who said call centre staff couldn't work from home based on technological reasons.

16 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Serious question having never worked in a call centre - why would you need to set up a booth at home?

I was just using booth as a generic term for desk, computer, phone etc. as that's what we called them. You obviously wouldn't need the partitions.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

I assumed he just meant the computer/phone and entire set up was the booth without the need for the partitioning.

Nah, you'd need the booth to replicate the authentic call centre atmosphere - you'd also need to get the neighbours in to chatter in the background to seal the deal.

Seriously folks, if setting up call centres in people's living rooms, thereby saving who knows how much in costs, was feasible it would be the way it was being done.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Fair enough. I didn't see the posts before so as far as I knew I was responding to a person who said call centre staff couldn't work from home based on technological reasons.

Fair enough mate, I get your point.

Working in logistics and procurement a couple of facts are a absolutely mind blowing.

The shambolic response of the admin side of the NHS is mind blowing.

In terms of testing, some of the UK test kit suppliers have been supplying to over 60 countries for the last few weeks before they saw their 1st orders from the NHS.

NHS procurement follow guidelines and tendering and all sorts of utter dugshit regulations that should have been cast aside weeks ago. The irony is that a no deal brexit was meant to make them ready to be more flexible at the proverbial flick of a button.

Secondly that no deal brexit threat actually meant that the consumables such as masks etc are actually stored in huge quantities. There are and never have been shortages of certain kit. Their distribution model is a fucking disgrace.

As a buyer in a private business I fortunately get to make my own choices. They are the original "computer says no"

Frustrating and why the govt continue to dodge answering the question is horrendous. They are as culpable as anyone.

34 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Sporting/Shooting estates now greeting because "that Sturgeon" has excluded them from business support payments.

OR maybe it's because they're based on rateable value. Rates I believe that the same estates fought tooth and nail to avoid paying.

ROFLCOPTER.

They've also got Phil designing their memes.
FB_IMG_1585392471753.jpg

No sympathy for them whatsoever. The only folk who have to pay any rates for shooting rights/deer forests are those who carry out commercial shootings on their land. And the vast majority of those are very rich landowners.

I'll also be getting the tiny violin out for "Small Ltd Company Directors" who are suddenly desperate for government support after dodging paying tax for years.

https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament-small-ltd-company-directors-to-get-government-support-like-the-employed-and-self-employed

Edited by Sherrif John Bunnell

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I do online teaching - take it from me that people get funny about that sort of behaviour.

There's a few videos and screenshots doing the rounds of workers clearly doing video conference calls for the first time and thinking they're on audio only. The guy sat in only his keks in a group call of about twenty colleagues being a particular highlight. 

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Working in logistics and procurement a couple of facts are a absolutely mind blowing.

The shambolic response of the admin side of the NHS is mind blowing.

In terms of testing, some of the UK test kit suppliers have been supplying to over 60 countries for the last few weeks before they saw their 1st orders from the NHS.

NHS procurement follow guidelines and tendering and all sorts of utter dugshit regulations that should have been cast aside weeks ago. The irony is that a no deal brexit was meant to make them ready to be more flexible at the proverbial flick of a button.

Secondly that no deal brexit threat actually meant that the consumables such as masks etc are actually stored in huge quantities. There are and never have been shortages of certain kit. Their distribution model is a fucking disgrace.

As a buyer in a private business I fortunately get to make my own choices. They are the original "computer says no"

Frustrating and why the govt continue to dodge answering the question is horrendous. They are as culpable as anyone.

The evidence that is emerging makes it fairly clear that the government in effect sat on it's hands for a month, from about late January onwards.

From late January , it was obvious about was happening in China.  On 30th January, the World Health Organization declared a public health emergency on Covid-19. 

Nothing done here until the beginning of March.

A general complacency at the heart of government, basking in the glow of the triumph of the election/Brexit,  Compound that with the starving

of funds to the NHS in the years of austerity,  compound that with the 'herd immunity'  stuff coming out of the top of government,

also the chief scientific adviser ( Vallance ? ),  as I recall.   

This is a lot more than your dogshit viewpoint that constantly emanates from private businessmen that the public sector is stupid and incompetent.

Edited by beefybake

Teachers, especially new teachers, are my main gripe with this, my sister being a perfect example.
Decide to be a teacher > uni for 4 years > 1 year probation > complain about pay.
I hope NHS frontline staff get some bonus at the end of this. Whether that is in the form of a pay rise / cash bonus / additional personal allowance I don't know, but it would be of more use than a clap.
Yeah, we see quite a bit of that. The union I'm in has an ongoing industrial grievance about workload etc. which is fair enough but they also have one about pay which I disagree with, especially after the McCrone report 20 odd years ago. We are well remunerated and the pay is the least of my concerns but some folk - and it does seen to be newer teachers - make it sound like they're on the breadline.
Flog all your bog roll on Ebay and put it all on FC Minsk at home to Dinamo Minsk. Nap at 21/10 with McBookie. I'm taking over from the resident expert on Ukrainian football. :whistle
But what's your level of expertise about Belarusian football?

I'm well behind on the thread and haven't the time to catch up so sorry if already mentioned.

The news last night had a clip of Downing street and along with the voiceover saying Bojo was ill, we saw Cummings running like  a b*****d away from No. 10 in the St James's park direction clutching a big bag. Wassat about?

With all the shite that happening in Italy, here is a little something for us all to smile about

A 101-year-old survivor in Italy

The situation remains bleak in Italy, but it's not all bad news. In the north-eastern city of Rimini a man aged 101, identified publicly as only "Mr P", was released from hospital on Thursday after being admitted last week and testing positive for Covid-19.

Gloria Lisi, Rimini's deputy mayor, said that his "truly extraordinary" recovery gave "hope for the future".

"Mr. P made it," she added. "The family brought him home, to teach us that even at 101 years the future is not written."

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Any joy with this Bonksy? Easycunt are still sending me emails about my flight as if I haven’t asked for a refund despite me doing it online. On the app it’s still saying refund being processed but no money. Come on Stelios you big hairy b*****d, gies ma £300.

Huge if true.

2 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

But what's your level of expertise about Belarusian football?

Zilch. It was a joke about the guy who claimed to be an expert on Ukrainian football who wasn't and his tips caused a very funny heads gone on the gambling threads. I have lumped a bit on it though as there's fuckall else to bet on, the last few results with zero background knowledge would suggest 21/10 as good value, maybe the reason being as punters tend to bet on the team they've heard of ie Dynamo Minsk, skewing the odds especially with there not being much else to bet on.

sat1.thumb.JPG.a2ea18995f53dceb79320726a41b21d7.JPG

sat2.thumb.JPG.19c7d5dfc809ef37c8ef084625dcab73.JPG

11 hours ago, The OP said:

For all I think he’s an absolute clown I can see how you can justify the PM being a key figure in the coordinated approach to tackling the crisis.

f**k knows what the excuse for the unelected heir to an unelected figurehead is though. 

Prince Charlie, prince Charlie
Ridicule is something to be scared of
Don't you ever, don't you ever
Think to stop being a fanny, showing me you're stupid...

19 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I'm well behind on the thread and haven't the time to catch up so sorry if already mentioned.

The news last night had a clip of Downing street and along with the voiceover saying Bojo was ill, we saw Cummings running like  a b*****d away from No. 10 in the St James's park direction clutching a big bag. Wassat about?

It was 'the media' having a little bit of revenge on Cummings.  He despises journalists, reporters. He also was really fond of the 'herd immunity' theory,

which seemed to be to do nothing much, almost everybody should get a dose, then 'the herd' gradually gains immunity.  Then the latest, greatest

academic computer model came along ( Imperial College ) which predicted that 500,000 would die. 

And so, the implied joke was that, for someone so casual about the deaths of others, it was interesting to see how he reacted when the plague

( in the form of Johnson catching a dose ) got close to him. 

Edited by beefybake