Coronavirus (COVID-19)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59876063

The travel industry is now calling for all testing requirements as a condition of travel to be removed.

Lessons learnt here. The last 12 months in particular since vaccine rollout has been for nothing in terms of test on deptarture/return. It's obvious that you cannot stop the spread if a variant has the perfect set of attributes to become dominant.

There's going to be some amount of pushback on this from labs with cushy government contracts though. This is their summer bread and butter when cases and tests in the general population drop off. These are the same people and firms who will call the heads of the travel industry greedy over the next few hours and days in response to this whilst sweating bullets that their own newfound wealth is at risk of continuing. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Looks like England will get rid of confirmatory PCR after a positive LFT.
Surely given the widely acknowledged level of false positives this is a big backwards step. Every single positive LFT will then lead to isolation. The devastation to the workforce, schools, transport etc is going to go through the roof.
It's only for asymptomatic people too. The day or two reduction in isolation will be outweighed by the number isolating needlessly.

ETA govt Lackie on TV now with the real reason. They have huge numbers of LFTs but running out of PCR capacity. She also just said LFTs are "now recognised as highly accurate" WTAF !

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
6 minutes ago, D.V.T. said:

Looks like England will get rid of confirmatory PCR after a positive LFT.

Surely given the widely acknowledged level of false positives this is a big backwards step. Every single positive LFT will then lead to isolation. The devastation to the workforce, schools, transport etc is going to go through the roof.

Can see them being chargeable in the very near future. Will be interesting to see how much case rates drop when a packet is £10 or so.

Absolutely minterrific for the Scottish Government. [emoji24]

From what's being said the tournament is likely to descend into farce anyway given the level of players likely to miss out due to testing positive or isolating. Crowds look like the least of their worries. As it stands Scotland, England or Wales can't even travel to France never mind spectators.

Can see them being chargeable in the very near future. Will be interesting to see how much case rates drop when a packet is £10 or so.
I just updated my post. Some Govt official just saying they have ordered a huge amount, a new contract (unsurprisingly). More palms greased.

23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It's only for asymptomatic people too. The day or two reduction in isolation will be outweighed by the number isolating needlessly.

ETA govt Lackie on TV now with the real reason. They have huge numbers of LFTs but running out of PCR capacity. She also just said LFTs are "now recognised as highly accurate" WTAF !

It's a move towards ending the fetishisation of which variety of shan cold you are currently infected with, and not before time.

From spring the malingerer brigade will end up having to pay for their endless supply of LFTs as well, and that'll be the endgame for everyone else caring about this shan variant. 

18 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Good news - Mum phoned and was told Step-Dad is comfortable and no hospitalisation required.

Excellent, I'm sure that's a big relief to all concerned

We should be going back to only testing if you show symptoms.  There would be about 11 positive cases in the UK each day if we did that.
Still think its absolutely mental they've scared people to the point that they're testing themselves as part of a routine despite having absolutely no symptoms. Someone must be making an absolute killing with these LFT tests.

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, TheScarf said:
We should be going back to only testing if you show symptoms.  There would be about 11 positive cases in the UK each day if we did that.

Still think its absolutely mental they've scared people to the point that they're testing themselves as part of a routine despite having absolutely no symptoms. Someone must be making an absolute killing with these LFT tests.

Unless someone is basically insisting I can't physically go inside a building unless I take one ie; their home, I plan on never taking one unless I feel iffy.  I reckon I've probably had it and didn't know I had it. I did feel iffy this time last year but only for 24 hours (headache and blocked nose).

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

We should only be testing the clinically vulnerable so they can get access to the anti viral medicine. Everyone else should be going about their business without the need for testing.