Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I am sorry if I have not been clear.
I just think that the NHS staff's job has not changed, in a sense of they signed up to care for and treat patients, while at the same time avoiding infections themselves. They have always been good at their job, as I said before, the NHS saved my life.
They are grossly underpaid for what they do for a job, if folk feel the need to clap them, do it every day as they are caring for and treating patients as they always do.
I don't see myself as a hero, I was just making a comparison to another essential service, one I could relate with.
I hope this clears it all up.
Didn't read.

Weapon.

A Shrimp seller in Wuhan, Wei Guixian is being touted as the Jules Rimet of the Covid-19 World Cup AKA patient zero (she was in the first 27 sick). As she survived and if truly patient zero, wonder if she feels a little guilty.

China propaganda also suggests they have found patient zero. An American serviceman. See they have the equivalent of the daily mail in China as well.

Screenshot_20200328_075130.thumb.jpg.5ba8df5709061d19c41aec77e54474a2.jpg

As was kind of known and now starting to see evidence, that the first cases appeared in Wuhan around 10th December. It's is therefore feasible the virus started to spread late December. Probably unlikely to be about early January in the UK, but anything from mid-January onwards is possible.

It is also plausible the virus came to Europe, not by a Chinese but a European (speculation).

1 hour ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Think with the cuts and changes around 2008 they lost the personal touch.

Every interaction I have had with the embassies in the last fifteen years has been shit. Prior to that they used to fantastic. In fairness cuts ripped them apart. As for out sourcing their visa applications, that's extra crap. Arranged a visa for my wife a few years ago to go on holiday to the UK. I wasn't allowed to enter the centre. They charged £100+ for the visa. Asked the wide if she wanted text updates on the application. She said yes, they said that will be £2.00 a text. Told them no. They then offered email, exact same scenario, £2.00 an email.

The following year applied for a Shenghen via at the French embassy absolute breeze, friendly service, visa in 4 days (UK took several weeks) and the icing was as the UK was still a member of the EU, the visa was free.

The UK clearly was strapped for cash.

As for their travel advice, it's general at best and mostly over cautious (which is of course understandle.

Don't get me started on visas & passports, this virus is less stressful.

Some real self indulgent waffle over the past couple of pages.

Risking life by getting on a helicopter? Your more likely to die as a result of an accident at home or getting in a car.

Spending weeks on end away from home? Did you have to do a three weeker?

Preventing another Piper because you worked on valves? No you worked on a valve that was subject to other barriers being in place to make sure you hadn't f*cked up. The Piper comment is just crass.

I'll quantify my opinion on the above by having worked offshore for over 20 years. 

I'll finish by saying fair play and a doff of my cap to all the workers currently keeping things going at the moment, from the young lass cleaning the local Coop, the Postie's all the way through to frontline NHS staff.

20 hours ago, Gaz said:

Many years ago I worked for Prudential and took part in an 'emergency' training day to simulate what we would do if our call centre at Craigforth was compromised.

We were shuttled by bus to a remote office somewhere near East Kilbride and upon entering the office we were set up at wee booths to simulate what it would be like working from home. We had to dial in to VPNs and when we did we had exactly the same facilities we had at Craigforth - we could transfer calls to managers, we could access all systems as if we were in the office, we could write up calls, we could control our idle codes, calls could be recorded and listened back. It was literally just like being in the call centre, except we were in wee offices to simulate an individual room and didn't have the facility to chat up the new starts.

This was in 2004. Madness to think that this couldn't be done sixteen years later.

So you did a dry run of what it would be like working from home in a facility already set up for such a trial? Didn't anyone wonder why they didn't do the trial in a real setting i.e. at home? Seems like a box ticking exercise to me..yes, we can absolutely say our staff can work effectively from home because we tested it in a, well, wee place with cubicles.

That said, I do agree that in hindsight call centres maybe should have invested in contingency measures but clearly they haven't because people are still working in them in the current climate.

The wife is convinced me and her had it at the start of the year [emoji85]. I had really bad flu - sore as f**k all over, chest infection, sweating like f**k and severe headaches, as did she. Sorry, but unless it can be proven otherwise, in my eyes covid19 didn't exist in fucking January.
You do realise the 19 part of the name means it originated in 2019? It was very unlikely to be in Scotland that early if that's what you mean though.

1 minute ago, Archie McSquackle said:
2 hours ago, philpy said:
The wife is convinced me and her had it at the start of the year emoji85.png. I had really bad flu - sore as f**k all over, chest infection, sweating like f**k and severe headaches, as did she. Sorry, but unless it can be proven otherwise, in my eyes covid19 didn't exist in fucking January.

You do realise the 19 part of the name means it originated in 2019? It was very unlikely to be in Scotland that early if that's what you mean though.

The parts of Fife that the Plague hasn’t reached yet.