Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
35 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
I think it's you that's missed the point tbh.
No amount of persuasion is going to get these people to understand, regardless of how soft the language you use is. The only way they are ever changing their views is if Chris Whitty or Jason Leitch tell them to.

Most of the folk I know who are hiding indoors and pretty scared to do anything are as far away from the SNP on the political spectrum as you can get. They are far removed from being fanboys but are non the less pretty terrified. We managed 3 out of 11 to go to the pub last night. Most replies were "it's too risky". They were not particularly vulnerable either mostly. To argue that only SNP idoloitors are buying into fear is total nonsense.

I didn't argue that, though.

Almost 16,000 daily positive cases is probably in tune with the central estimates of modellers but we could still see a sharp rise over the next few days as the data starts to catch up. It may be that the worst-case scenario has been avoided because people have adapted their behaviour even before restrictions were brought in.
That's from the BBC article on the record case numbers today. The bit in bold just seems like pure conjecture. I've no evidence to counter this baseless claim but I will say that I was out for a beer on Christmas Eve and went to the cinema this week and both places have been absolutely rammed. You could barely move around Silverburn and all the restaurants were packed with long queues waiting to get in.
Anecdotal or not I highly doubt we're only avoiding the worst case scenario because more people are being careful. 

Definitely a city thing. I was in Irvine last night (pubs still doing bar service which was fine) and it was like a morgue. Pub we settled in called last orders at the final whistle in Liverpool game, we went to move on and every where else was already shut bar Spoons which has about a dozen folk dotted around it. Very sad to see.

6 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

I think more people now are worried about getting covid because of having to isolate rather than getting ill. 

I just need get my two shifts done on Friday and Saturday so I don't end up owing work money back as were paid weekly and with bank holidays it's pre set 🙈

Anecdotally, much more people I know have tested positive recently than at any other time since this all started, however nearly all of them are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms. A few family members I've seen over Christmas, including my wife, have had a normal winter cold, testing negative multiple times but with symptoms worse than any of the covid-positive folk.
It's quite strange, despite the numbers and the ever-present fearmongering from the media, the mood among most people out & about is that covid is just about done. The biggest concern most have is the isolation rules rather than any fear of the virus itself.
Anecdotally I've found that most folk my age (I'm in my 50s) aren't frightened for themselves but for relatives who are either older or have underlying health conditions.

My own worries are about my wife (a recovering breast cancer patient), my 78 year old Dad who has had several chest infections this year (he also is dealing with the cancer of his brother-in-law) and my 73 year-old mum who has just had to put my 75 year old step-dad into care because his Alzheimers has reached the point where he can't remember his own name never mind what he did 5 minutes ago. A lot of people will be in similar situations - taking their own personal responsibility for the health of their loved ones.

As I've said before, I've no problem with justified restrictions - but this latest bunch (including Covid passports) are yet again aimed at the wrong target, are unworkable and extremely divisive.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Definitely a city thing. I was in Irvine last night (pubs still doing bar service which was fine) and it was like a morgue. Pub we settled in called last orders at the final whistle in Liverpool game, we went to move on and every where else was already shut bar Spoons which has about a dozen folk dotted around it. Very sad to see.

I was out in Falkirk on Boxing Day and the pubs were absolutely heaving. Out for lunch yesterday and the place was also packed.

29 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

As far back as I can remember politicians have used (and abused) polling data to back their arguments.

They certainly have but if we consider the current situation restrictions damage both physical and mental health as well as the economy.

Just because a bunch of wet wipes want to hide behind their sofa for eternity and (and some of them want money off the government to do so) and would vote that way in a poll doesn't mean the right thing to do is to keep restrictions in place.

It's also worth remembering that people have been conditioned this way by the government.  They've exacerbated this situation drastically and saying "this is what the people want" isn't a valid excuse to keep restrictions in place.

That's from the BBC article on the record case numbers today. The bit in bold just seems like pure conjecture. I've no evidence to counter this baseless claim but I will say that I was out for a beer on Christmas Eve and went to the cinema this week and both places have been absolutely rammed. You could barely move around Silverburn and all the restaurants were packed with long queues waiting to get in.
Anecdotal or not I highly doubt we're only avoiding the worst case scenario because more people are being careful. 

You could have just described a pub in falkirk from sunday to Thursday on any given date in 2019

6 minutes ago, philpy said:

I've had a cold for the last 3 days, but I'm not bothering my fucking arse to do an LFT. f**k having to isolate if it comes back positive.  44 years on this planet Is enough to know what a cold is. Lot of shite.

Exactly, my man.

I just can’t fathom out why so many folk are continuously testing themselves?

If you’re not feeling deathly just chuck all those kits in the bin, preferably with masks as well.

No tests mean no positives mean no restrictions.

Impressive hospital data from my Belgian friends.

The number of coronavirus patients being treated in intensive care units in Belgian hospitals has dropped below the threshold of 600 for the first time in almost six weeks.

Between 22 and 28 December, an average of 135 patients suffering from Covid-19 were admitted to hospitals per day, a 22% decrease since the last seven days, according to figures published by the Sciensano Public Health Institute on Wednesday morning.

On Tuesday, a total of 1,903 people were in hospitals due to an infection (56 fewer than on Monday), including 581 Covid-19 patients that were being treated in intensive care (-32), with 348 on a ventilator (-19).

On Tuesday, a total of 1,903 people were in hospitals due to an infection (56 fewer than on Monday), including 581 Covid-19 patients that were being treated in intensive care (-32), with 348 on a ventilator (-19).

14 minutes ago, philpy said:

I've had a cold for the last 3 days, but I'm not bothering my fucking arse to do an LFT. f**k having to isolate if it comes back positive.  44 years on this planet Is enough to know what a cold is. Lot of shite.

Folk having a sniffle and doing lf tests and sending in results are fvckin everything up. If positive go to your bed for a day or two max. If can't breathe after that phone ambulance and hang about for another couple of days until it arrives.

2 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

"Large outdoor gatherings risk being superspreader events"

If that’s the case publish the proof. 

What about large indoor gatherings such as Braehead, Silverburn, the Forge or the Gyle to name but a few or does the virus bypass them?

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I see the South African government have come under pressure from media, stakeholders and public enquiries and comments and have had to bring back contact tracing.

Interesting / depressing.

What is it going to take for people to just get on with it?

Like, what do they actually want / expect to happen? And when?

Edited by Todd_is_God