Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That was always going to be the case with this virus. Folk post about some young fit person dying from it are posting an anomaly, but one that fits with the statistics and expected trend. If there were loads of such cases then it would be concerning but the odd one or two is very much in line with what is expected. Not sure why folk therefore post such stories, as it comes across as scaremongering.

14 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Which is precisely why it seems daft to bother publishing death updates.

As I say this is for the UK, pretty sure the Italian situation is different.  Not sure how this will change over the next fortnight.

Edited by Granny Danger

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

That was always going to be the case with this virus. Folk post about some young fit person dying from it are posting an anomaly, but one that fits with the statistics and expected trend. If there were loads of such cases then it would be concerning but the odd one or two is very much in line with what is expected. Not sure why folk therefore post such stories, as it comes across as scaremongering.

so the 46 doctors in italy must have been old or unhealthy

Just now, aaa said:

No, they're just being exposed to the virus constantly so their immune system never gets a chance to fight it off. You can't use them as a comparison for "normal" people, unless you plan on finding people with the virus, and sitting in the same room as them for 5 days straight.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No, they're just being exposed to the virus constantly so their immune system never gets a chance to fight it off. You can't use them as a comparison for "normal" people, unless you plan on finding people with the virus, and sitting in the same room as them for 5 days straight.

Does sound like it's cumulative in severity, little bit can kill you only if you're old or a bit fucked, get enough of it and it will kill anyone. That's why it's usually only young people who work in the front line of health care who get it bad.

Edited by welshbairn

19 minutes ago, aaa said:

Yes, I wondered about that. 

I also keep wondering if 'underlying health condition' is the new public relations exercise to make things sound better.

"Ah, yes. I know your poor gran was only 64, but she did have a bit of a cold, and, well, you know, Covid-19 on top of that..... "

The clear implication here is that you are painting those who didn't applaud like a performing seal simply as not appreciating our NHS as much as those who applauded.
This is the moral high ground grabbing virtue signalling nonsense I was talking about in an earlier post.
You chose to applaud. No problem. No need to use that as an excuse to pretend you care more than anyone else.
I was replying to a guy who said they were just doing their jobs, and like i said, he's perfectly entitled to that opinion.

The main response on here was that only gullible morons were out last night, and i was trying to redress the balance a little.

You can take that however you like - that's your issue and certainly not my intention. At no point did i mention people who didn't join in, i was just defending those who did.

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Does sounds like it's cumulative in severity, little bit can kill you only if you're old or a bit fucked, get enough of it and it will kill anyone. That's why it's usually only young people who work in the front line of health care who get it bad.

I read something current research being around virus load being the determiner of the severity of the symptoms. Basically if you only have a wee bit of it in you (clearly I know what I'm talking about here) they're hypothesising that you won't get completely fucked by it, but the more that you have, the worse it is. That would tally with doctors etc being badly affected as they are potentially exposed to it much more consistently than you or I are when just going about our daily business. 

Edited by madwullie

15 minutes ago, beefybake said:

Yes, I wondered about that. 

I also keep wondering if 'underlying health condition' is the new public relations exercise to make things sound better.

"Ah, yes. I know your poor gran was only 64, but she did have a bit of a cold, and, well, you know, Covid-19 on top of that..... "

If you fucked something up you'd try and play it down, they're the masters at it. 

Edited by ayrmad

38 minutes ago, aaa said:

Maybe. Maybe they had underlying health conditions.

Or not. Given how many cases Italy have had then I'm surprised it's not more than 46 doctors who have died. The statistics show that 1-2% of apparently healthy people die from this. 

You have to remember though that these doctors won't be healthy; they'll be overworked and exhausted, and exhaustion opens up your immune system for a whole host of trouble and makes it much harder to fight illness.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Unsure if it's related to my symptoms but its only fair to report that this evening I have had 3 bouts of horrendous shits.

Oh f**k off I can't be doing with this as well, the lack of taste and smell is bad enough now there's a ring of fire to contend with.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Maybe. Maybe they had underlying health conditions.

Or not. Given how many cases Italy have had then I'm surprised it's not more than 46 doctors who have died. The statistics show that 1-2% of apparently healthy people die from this. 

You have to remember though that these doctors won't be healthy; they'll be overworked and exhausted, and exhaustion opens up your immune system for a whole host of trouble and makes it much harder to fight illness.

Yep, they'd have been dying from exhaustion soon anyway.