Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

..and having been working in a hospital earlier in the week with the incorrect PPE, she now has a cough. Make this day 1 of 7 for her and of 14 for me.

What are P&B’s thoughts on getting takeaways at this time? Worthwhile to ensure the food you have in lasts a bit longer without requiring someone else to go to a shop themselves to pick up more for you (provided you’re pre-paying by card obviously) or selfish to make restaurant staff and delivery drivers continue to work and put themselves at risk when they don’t have to be considered essential despite providing food?

I really fancy a takeaway but I'm running low on toilet roll so I'm not going to risk it.

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It wasn't to holiday. Loads of poorer southern Italians work in the north and didn't want to get locked down away from home. 

Nae bother paisan. 

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
24 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
It's at least 30 pages for me to catch up with whenever I log on, and probably as many while I'm reading over the day. I've read all of it. I've considered a Top Five Worst Posters in the Coronavirus threads but not had the balls to follow through with it.

Mon then, before we all die

You'd be amazed at who's making a late run at it.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

What depth are they measuring the temperature of the North Sea at in that survey? I'd be surprised if it's more than the very top layer of water (under 100 metres).

Depths below a certain point will be largely independent of fast seasonal fluctuations and will follow longer heating/cooling trends.

When we are talking about global ocean temperatures we are interested in the whole depth ocean not just the very surface. The reason why that is important is because just like heating flat Cola, more CO2 is released from all depths of the water as temperatures at all depths rise over time.

What depth are you measuring the temperature of water in your kettle when you switch it on?

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

The North Atlantic is even more interesting.  Warmest in Septembe.   Coldest in March.

Rivetting as that may be. It wasn't what you asked me

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Is that a press conference or another confirmed case?

So long as it absolutely cripples Iain Duncan Smith while it's doing the rounds.

Not even the Coronavirus would be attracted to you you absolute thunder c**t. 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

How is that even possible with a 3 week lockdown? Surely the deceased haven’t been infected since BEFORE lockdown?

Many of the patients can spend around 3 weeks in intensive care before dying or recovering (I got this from a Dr in Bergamo on Euronews), so some of these dying today could have been infected at least 4 or 5 weeks back.

That's why I was thinking that our figures just now don't really mean much as we're still going to have the large increase over the next few weeks of those infected prior to our own lockdown.

What depth are they measuring the temperature of the North Sea at in that survey? I'd be surprised if it's more than the very top layer of water (under 100 metres).

The average depth of the North Sea is 94m so more than likely.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

What depth are you measuring the temperature of water in your kettle when you switch it on?

I’d imagine no matter the depth the water will be at room temperature when you switch it on. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

Heating an ocean is like heating your bath with a few candles. It will take an eternity but eventually the water will get warm. Remove the candles and you're looking at a substantial time before the water cools again.

By that analogy, the events which caused the warming in the first place will have happened perhaps 40 to 80 years ago. We are suffering because of what happened between WW2, through the swinging 60s and up to the mullet-infested horror show of the 80s.

If we turn off the heating today, oceans will continue to warm probably until 2040-2050 at the earliest. You are then looking at perhaps another 40 year before they drop again to reasonable levels. Action is needed now to help those who will see in the new 22nd century.

Had the oceans not frozen and thawed, then frozen and thawed again multiple times prior to the last 180 years I'd share your concern.