Coronavirus (COVID-19)

If 600 people a day in Scotland are going to die of covid, that would mean running a rate of something like 120k cases a day. 
Also, "Omicron could kill..." stop. Stop it right now. This has gone on long enough now - stop treating Omicron as if it is an entirely new virus. 

Leitch actually said we now have two pandemics running simultaneously on various interviews ie he sees Omicron as some completely different virus which is looney tunes stuff. I see he was asked about his "doubling, tripling" statement on the basis the stats don't back that up. His response was that when he now says cases he means Omicron cases, not all cases which is a total distortion of the facts. Omicron is REPLACING Delta not running in conjunction with it. The sooner that message gets across the sooner the fear gripping the nation will subside. Even the fucking Queen is now "leading by example " and canceling completely her Christmas day plans. Absolutely crazy, wild times.

24 minutes ago, Gaz said:

"First Minister, every adult and vulnerable person in the country has had ample opportunity to have two vaccine doses and a booster. Why should the rest of the country be forced into restrictions to protect those who have made the choice not to get vaccinated or get their booster?"

This with fucking bells hanging off 

Leitch actually said we now have two pandemics running simultaneously on various interviews ie he sees Omicron as some completely different virus which is looney tunes stuff. I see he was asked about his "doubling, tripling" statement on the basis the stats don't back that up. His response was that when he now says cases he means Omicron cases, not all cases which is a total distortion of the facts. Omicron is REPLACING Delta not running in conjunction with it. The sooner that message gets across the sooner the fear gripping the nation will subside. Even the fucking Queen is now "leading by example " and canceling completely her Christmas day plans. Absolutely crazy, wild times.
Bending, twisting, contorting any way they can.

An absolute shambles, as bad as when Devi told us when she said zero she didnt actually mean zero.

From the Guardian:

Paul Hunter, Professor in Medicine at the University of East Anglia (UEA), said the previous rapid increase in cases in England appears to be slowing and, if that is true, there is no need for a lockdown.

Meanwhile, Prof Hunter told the PA News Agency that measures such as social distancing and lockdowns “never ultimately prevent infection unless eradication is a possibility”.

He said:

What they do is flatten the curve and delay the inevitable. Sometimes that is sufficient if the epidemic would overwhelm the health service, or if effective new treatments or vaccines are coming.

No new treatments or vaccines are likely to come soon so the issue is all about flattening the peak.

But if you flatten the peak you prolong the epidemic, or as we say, ‘the area under the curve remains the same’.

Prof Hunter said if Omicron cases continue to double every two days “then it would not be long before we got to seriously high numbers that would eventually put the NHS under a dreadful strain and under some predictions could ultimately overwhelm the NHS.”
Under some modelling scenarios, high hospital admissions are “pretty much locked in” and “a lockdown after Christmas would probably be too late”, he said, but at the lower end of the predictions, hospital admissions would not overwhelm the NHS.

He added:

If restrictions are not needed then they would only delay illness and prolong the impact on health services as well as the other negative impacts that lockdowns have on our wellbeing.

Prof Hunter said the “latest data suggests that total case numbers, and therefore Omicron, may already have plateaued or even peaked.

Indeed, infection numbers may have fallen slightly in the last few days.

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye look I’m not pissed off because they’re nervous about covid. They’re older, the father in law in particular has his health issues and they’re being repeatedly told it’s not safe to mix and interact and that their age group are high risk. So I sympathise with that. 

What irritates me is the insistence that we have to sacrifice everything before and during the trip to make them feel better. That probably makes me sound like a selfish p***k but i just wouldn’t or couldn’t ask someone to make those sacrifices for my issues. 

I’m increasingly of the view we shouldn’t go but don’t think I’m going to win that one. 

The wee one is 7 months so pretty oblivious to it all. 

Just tell them you’re having a quiet one before the big day and then do what the f**k you want anyway

Everyone wins

I’m contemplating Easter road now if it’s going to be the last one for a while ffs 

39 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just for fun, what question(s) would you like the Scottish Media to actually ask today if these changes go ahead?

Mine: First Minister, given that you have today decided to have football games played behind closed doors, is this evidence that the vaccine passport scheme has had no impact on public health?

“What is actually being done to improve the NHS throughout all this . We are told all this is to protect the NHS but what plans are in place for the NHS to be better prepared to deal with Covid as we move on form the pandemic and also any potential future new viruses which may come our way without it always having to be at the responsibility and bearing on the general public’s freedom? “

question could be asked to both her and the clown in charge at Westminster . The answer would both be along the lines of a load of stuttering and bullshit

Edited by Forever_blueco

Is it 2pm we get the latest announcement? I was never an anxious person before, but I’m currently sitting here terrified of what they’re going to do.

One of my mates at my work has said he’s starting to get depressed and doesn’t see a way out if this is the reaction to every variant. Really worrying stuff to hear and I imagine that sort of thought process is replicated across a large number. I’m certainly starting to feel that way.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Is it 2pm we get the latest announcement? I was never an anxious person before, but I’m currently sitting here terrified of what they’re going to do.

One of my mates at my work has said he’s starting to get depressed and doesn’t see a way out if this is the reaction to every variant. Really worrying stuff to hear and I imagine that sort of thought process is replicated across a large number. I’m certainly starting to feel that way.

I can remember a time, months and months ago, that I was scared to get Covid.

That was nothing compared to this terror being forced onto us now.

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Well, indeed 

Not to be morbid but it’s just a fact that mental health is given nary a consideration when they mothball society every 6 months 

15 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Didn’t catch the name of the lady on Radio Scotland just then, but she just mentioned the devolved nations should get together and agree the metrics by which furlough can be accessed by any nation as required.

Hard to argue against this line of thought, but the Scottish government would still throw toys out the pram saying it’s not good enough, as they want furlough any time they ask without any justification.

There was a man on from the Fraser of Alander (sp?) Institute that came up with the idea.

1 minute ago, David W said:

I can remember a time, months and months ago, that I was scared to get Covid.

That was nothing compared to this terror being forced onto us now.

I haven’t been scared of getting Covid since about May 2020. Even everyone I know and converse with about it including my 60+ aged family members haven’t been scared about getting Covid since the vaccines first appeared.

Everyone is just shit scared of what restrictions will be placed on their lives.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It's quite clearly going to be another lockdown from boxing day onwards IMO, with absolutely zero hint at when it'll end or what will trigger it to end.

A total fucking farce.

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I must admit, I remember during last winter folk using mental health as a way of rallying against lockdowns, restrictions etc and thinking that was out of order given the circumstances, no vaccines etc but believe me your mate is not the only one now. Very glad I'm heading back to Fife tomorrow for Christmas with family/friends who feel similar to me and will be largely ignoring any "restrictions" because the past 10 days I've been feeling absolutely scunnered with all this. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's quite clearly going to be another lockdown from boxing day onwards IMO, with absolutely zero hint at when it'll end or what will trigger it to end.

A total fucking farce.

There simply has to be an end date otherwise you'll go from limited compliance to no compliance tbh don't think it will be a lockdown probably more like the start of the football season type thing.

Still a kick in the balls.

I'd imagine many people are feeling the same way.

I wouldn't go as far to say I'm depressed in the true sense but the though of another winter where you get up in the pitch black, work during the day and then finish work in the pitch black with nothing to look forward to is soul destroying.

I'm fortunate in still having a job which won't be at risk. I can't imagine the level of stress and anxiety of those working in one of the (many) sectors that the government seems quite happy to torpedo every few months.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I haven’t been scared of getting Covid since about May 2020. Even everyone I know and converse with about it including my 60+ aged family members haven’t been scared about getting Covid since the vaccines first appeared.

Everyone is just shit scared of what restrictions will be placed on their lives.

The problem summed up . Majority of folk are now more worried about what the government are going to do than the actual virus itself. 

they talk about opion polls showing folk in favour of Lockdown 😂 would love to know whose opinion they ask 

the answer to folks opinions on lockdown lies in every filled and sold out football stadium, gig , theatre , pantomime etc etc which has taken place in the last month even with omnicrom all over the news . 

Edited by Forever_blueco

Just now, 101 said:

There simply has to be an end date

Aye but it'll be something like "1st of February, if cases are under control", with literally no clues to what they mean by "under control" and no hints at all at what's coming until the actual date.