Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I say it's full Bolsonaro, because he was the leader who ignored medical advice with disastrous consequences. 

I ask the question again, what is Sturgeon meant to do, given the advice that she....and pretty much every leader of a 1st world country...is being given ? 

Is she meant to toss a coin, cross her fingers, and hope that all the medical advice is wrong ? Should she follow the self-appointed experts on social media, or should she act (temporarily) on the side of caution ? 

He was a leader who actively refused to vaccinate the population of his country. 

It's not even fucking remotely comparable. If Sturgeon does nothing right now, there has already been more than enough done in terms of restrictions and vaccine uptake. Carry on pushing boosters, that's it.

I'm going to stop with you now, as you are still trying to push the 'she would be ignoring medical advice' line when the only medical advice that matters at this point, is the real data coming from the first areas affected, not the hypothetical 'this or that might happen' advice you seem to want her to prioritise over the actual data.

9 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I ask the question again, what is Sturgeon meant to do, given the advice that she....and pretty much every leader of a 1st world country...is being given ? 

This point is massively diluted if you consider that they ask only to be given advice based on scenarios that require intervention.

I can understand why they might be interested in these, but it makes no sense to not also ask for the most likely scenarios, regardless of whether or not intervention would be required.

"Rubbish in; Rubbish out" has never been more pertinent.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Thorongil said:

This is being routinely ignored by the government and their media.

You honestly think that the Scottish media are on the side of the Scottish government ? That it's 'their' media ? 

Lol. That's beyond ridiculous. 

Honestly. If there was a sense that the Scottish government were manipulating figures or modelling, then the media would be all over it like a rash. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

You honestly think that the Scottish media are on the side of the Scottish government ? That it's 'their' media ? 

Honestly. If there was a sense that the Scottish government were manipulating figures or modelling, then the media would be all over it like a rash. 

Nicola Sturgeon could come out and say day is dark and she’d get minimal, if any, challenge from the MSM. 

21 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Why does Sturgeon have to ‘do something’ when hospital numbers are dropping?

Potential time lag which could make hospitalisations catastrophic in a week or so. Personally I'm hoping for everything back to normal by mid January, and it was all a worry about nothing, but can understand some precautions in case my hopes are dashed and Omicron turns out to be a beast.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

They are pretty disturbing. 

The whole 'policy makers dictate what we model on' thing has me thinking of the big US tobacco companies back in the 50s and 60s pulling in medical professionals to publicly extol the virtues of smoking to the masses.

There’s also a suggestion that climate change science is based on this kind of logic.

I see the WEF at work here.

5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

She gets a torrid time in the briefings from the media right enough.

The last time anyone from the media remotely challenged her at one of those she lost the head and spat the dummy so far it went into orbit.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, Dave and Anna Snow said:

This reeks of lockdown for every variant. 

David.

At this point, I would once again like to introduce the suggestion that the Uk government absolutely fvck off with spending over 66 billion pounds.....I'll repeat that, 66 billion pounds...per year, on Trident and on 'defence' spending, in a desperate need to prove that this rancid UK is somehow a military super power. 

Take some of that money. No, take all of it, and invest in in the NHS to build a health service that is fit to cope whatever the 21st century can throw at it. 

Then we wouldn't have to introduce restrictions for every variant. 

I'm sure that we all agree with this. 

Forget about new aircraft carriers, and nuclear weapons, and build a fvcking health service that is fit for purpose. 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Potential time lag which could make hospitalisations catastrophic in a week or so. .

London is further down the line than we are. There is an increase in covid cases in hospitals down there but there was a tweet earlier in this thread today showing that around 2/3rds of hospital admissions in London in the last week are people who have come in to hospital with something completely different and then tested positive.

If I had fallen down the stairs and broken my leg this week, I'd have been admitted to hospital and included on the covid figures because I happened to test positive last week. Even though it was nothing more than a headcold and mild chest infection in my case.

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

At this point, I would once again like to introduce the suggestion that the Uk government absolutely fvck off with spending over 66 billion pounds.....I'll repeat that, 66 billion pounds...per year, on Trident and on 'defence' spending, in a desperate need to prove that this rancid UK is somehow a military super power. 

Take some of that money. No, take all of it, and invest in in the NHS to build a health service that is fit to cope whatever the 21st century can throw at it. 

Forget about new aircraft carriers, and nuclear weapons, and build a fvcking health service that is fit for purpose. 

That’s a bold claim.

You’re proposing we do away with the military 😂

That's a fair point re Trident. However, by the same token, the money that governments seem happy to put towards furlough could be put to the NHS instead which would also prevent the need for further restrictions?