Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

After witnessing a dribbling meltdown from an amateur virologist/lawyer a couple of days ago, could I make a polite request for those of you who are similarly-minded?

If you're asked to wear a face mask when entering a place of business and feel this is somehow unfair in any way, retire to your home and write a letter of complaint to the high heid yins who've set the rules. This would be either the appropriate department at the organisation you're unhappy with, or your political representatives.

Do not turn into a ranting, aggressive shambles with the minimum wage staff who are employed to uphold the rules that their employers have laid down. You will achieve nothing other than displaying your irrationality to anyone in the area, and possible injury when you're forcibly removed from the premises. The rest of the world thanks you for your decency.

Well said. As someone who works in retail, I have had a few 'incidents' to contend with due to pandemic rules, including having to separate customers being millimetres to close to each other. The morale in stores is low and people are getting out. I have never seen so many managerial vacancies in the company I work for.

5 hours ago, GTee said:

Wales closing nightclubs. Wonder how many have died or overwhelmed the NHS by going to a nightclub (directly or indirectly). Next to zero would be my guess. 🤔

aye but you do realise this is being done to try and reduce the spread of the virus....the young may not be badly impacted but this is probably the time of year, more than any other, when they will be in the company of elderly relatives for prolonged periods of time.  This is why they are closing nightclubs

8 hours ago, Meldrew said:

big hoose, big garden, like that last time, it makes zero difference to me.

Merry Christmas...🤣

Thanks for confirming that you are indeed a crushingly lonely VL living in a grim as f**k bedsit (I think we all kinda knew that anyway, but OK)

7 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Just 2 weeks to flatten the curve guys 

Plenty scientists saying it’s too late now to bother. Cases are going to peak in the first week of January, which can’t be stopped given the high rate of community transmission already out there.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

aye but you do realise this is being done to try and reduce the spread of the virus....the young may not be badly impacted but this is probably the time of year, more than any other, when they will be in the company of elderly relatives for prolonged periods of time.  This is why they are closing nightclubs

If the elderly believe that their younger relatives pose a dire threat to their health - after obtaining no fewer than three vaccinations against a glorified cold - then they could always just say 'nah you're fine' to the big family roast dinner that the UK is detaching its head about. 

It is not the business of the state to prohibit activity for all young adults fully 21 fucking months into a pandemic, on the grounds of a granny that they may not even have anymore. 

Edited by vikingTON

NB: Good luck reducing the spread by closing nightclubs (after Christmas), when the government has already lolloped ahead with keeping the real infection factories open until Wednesday. If we were genuinely concerned about the transfer of threat to the elderly, then younger age groups would be the biggest issue to mitigate ahead of any family gathering. 

7 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

That outdoor pint in January sounds like fun.

It's apparently spreading 'like a Tsunami' right now. If a two week circuit breaker was genuinely a priority why the f**k would you wait two weeks to have it when it's already going to apparently overwhelm us?

You get the feeling that this is going to be the norm from them every single year now, asking people to cut weeks and months from their lives all under the guise of 'protecting the NHS' as let's be honest, it struggled in winter before covid and will continue to do so after covid. 

Nah, f**k that.

The current surge in London is mainly concentrated in the 20-35 age group, I guess we will see if it spreads to the older groups. Perhaps the disease spreading among the whippersnappers will be a blessing, they all get it as they are/were generally double vaccinated or less. The more vulnerable age groups are all boosted and are more likely to be heeding advice to reduce social contact so will be protected to a degree, hopefully a large degree.

You don’t hear much about the Barrington stuff anymore but now we have vaccine induced immunity perhaps a modified approach of taking care around the vulnerable is best. I am planning to visit my parents post Christmas and I’ll certainly be testing just before we leave to make sure we don’t take anything up to them, as they are old and my dad has underlying health issues.

9 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

That’ll just drive huge numbers into pubs and homes. Surely that’s the last thing they want to do, if it’s about reducing contacts?

Well f**k knows, they’re in a no win situation with it now regardless.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I think Nicola should have thought about that BEFORE she started mouthing off about staying indoors with no evidence whatsoever to suggest this new variant was a problem.

If you want me to do her thinking for her and come up with solutions you'll need to give me her salary first.

Sound fair?

No, you won't be surprised to hear I'm sure. It's not fair to suggest there's "no evidence whatsoever this new variant is a problem" nor that the FM didn't think about how to provide support. But I didn't expect much by way of a reply so my hangover isn't going to be exacerbated by disappointment. 

1 hour ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Plenty scientists saying it’s too late now to bother. Cases are going to peak in the first week of January, which can’t be stopped given the high rate of community transmission already out there.

The problem for politicians like Sturgeon, Johnson and Drakeford is that right now millions of people are just ignoring them and living their lives. So if it isn't a complete disaster they look like dicks and lockdowns and restrictions are finished.

They have to legally limit things to project an image of power and be able to claim responsibility when most people get through the wave without their families being seriously medically impacted by Covid. 

26 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The problem for politicians like Sturgeon, Johnson and Drakeford is that right now millions of people are just ignoring them and living their lives. So if it isn't a complete disaster they look like dicks and lockdowns and restrictions are finished.

They have to legally limit things to project an image of power and be able to claim responsibility when most people get through the wave without their families being seriously medically impacted by Covid. 

It's just protecting themselves from blame.