Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The Daily Mail and the The Sun giving each other Twitter hand shandy's for making c***s of themselves isn't news, 

Personally, I'm delighted our First Minister treats these ambulance-chasing bin-raking phone-hacking gutter-dwelling minks with the absolute contempt they and their behaviour during this pandemic deserves. Vermin. 

Regardless of what you think of the company they work for, there's absolutely no reason to be rude to an individual. Especially when you're the leader of a country. And especially when you deal with the press more than just about anyone else.

There are plenty of organisations and companies I don't care for. But I wouldn't speak to members of their staff like that. 

She should be better than that.

7 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Noticed the super great idea of one way in and out of Asda is back. 

I can only speak for my local Asda but this was genuinely a fantastic idea - stopped utter morons ambling out of doors with no regard for their surroundings no matter how many people were trying to get past them.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Regardless of what you think of the company they work for, there's absolutely no reason to be rude to an individual. Especially when you're the leader of a country. And especially when you deal with the press more than just about anyone else.

There are plenty of organisations and companies I don't care for. But I wouldn't speak to members of their staff like that. 

I agree with this. 

11 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think she was pretty fair and restrained considering. 

If I turned up to a meeting and asked a question that had been well covered multiple times, in front of other departments, never mind the nation, and asked it anyway because I didn't bother my hole to tune in at the beginning, my balls would get booted into outer space. 

And being rude to The Sun or The Daily Mail is a virtue that would all by itself, earn my vote. 

Edited by williemillersmoustache

2 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Weren't their "optimistic" figures for "freedom day" til now absolutely wildly wrong? Soemthing crazy like 3x or more the deaths than what we actually had was their most optimistic? Sadly don't have the figures but why would we ever listen to their modelling ever again.

Neil Ferguson was predicting 200,000 daily cases in July, when Reckless Tory Freedom Day saw them punt masks into the bin in the middle of a Delta wave and... cases immediately dropped.

He stated that 100,000 daily cases was 'nailed on' - it still hasn't happened yet.

Public health modellers are a bunch of utter frauds. You'd be better off using astrologers at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

According to STV news SPFL reintroducing daily testing of all players from Monday, cases will go through the roof here too emoji45.png

Confirmed by SFA but just Premiership I think

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Its an entirely fair question.

If you can't support a business you are essentially restricting the trade of, with nothing to support said actions, then why are you doing it?

Serious actions have consequences, and these questions need answering.

Easy ride for too long.

100%. 

She isn’t making it law but she’s effectively begging the general public to be fearful and boycott hospitality whilst blaming Westminster for not funding it. 

It’s crass in the extreme and the truth is even if she does get funding to shut things down it’s not like when they open again they just hit the ground running. They take weeks and months to build up the footfall again. 

12 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

He was trolling and she fell for it. 

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

If I turned up to a meeting and asked a question that had been well covered multiple times, in front of other departments, never mind the nation, and asked it anyway because I didn't bother my hole to tune in at the beginning, my balls would get booted into outer space. 

And being rude to The Sun or The Daily Mail is a virtue that would all by itself, earn by vote. 

We're not going to see eye-to-eye on this one for that reason. 

I personally would treat people as I find them. You're not "being rude to the Sun or the Daily Mail". You're being rude to someone doing their job. I doubt Rupert Murdoch or whoever it is gives much of a damn.

Just now, Jan Vojáček said:

We're not going to see eye-to-eye on this one for that reason. 

I personally would treat people as I find them. You're not "being rude to the Sun or the Daily Mail". You're being rude to someone doing their job. I doubt Rupert Murdoch or whoever it is gives much of a damn.

Perhaps we won't see eye to eye but I also treat people as I find them as I imagine the FM does. This is not their first rodeo, he knew what he was doing and I approve of her response. If anything she was generous.

Apparently modelling on the ScotGov website estimates that in three weeks the estimated daily cases could be between 15k and 130k (one hundred and thirty).

Wummin on reporting scotland said the second number almost with a straight face.

2 hours ago, Adamski said:

I've got a few irons in the fire as far as Covid is concerned, but I'm definitely no expert. And I don't think models tell the whole story, but they do have a part to play. If they're good then they should give forewarning of things that are worth preparing for or highlighting when that's not the case. And there's some things that aren't exactly rocket science: if on Monday to Thursday the case rates are about 1.5 times what they were last week, then on Friday they'll most likely they'll be about 1.5 times what they were last Friday too. They might not be, but it's a best guess. I don't think it'll surprise anyone that the biggest rises in cases this year happened during the initial unlocking in May, the Euros (which has the record for the current week to week rise), when the schools went back, and now.

I personally know quite a few of the people who have been in the press and on TV throughout all of this, including one very high profile one. Certainly of them, I'd be very surprised if there's anyone who sees this as their fifteen minutes of fame and an opportunity to make a name for themselves. Mainly people who hope that their expertise can add to the general understanding of the virus and make a bit of a difference to the outcome, and who would rather it was all done so that they can get back to their normal lives and doing the types of science they enjoy. And it's not hard to find people in the community who are opposed to the types of restrictions currently being put in place.

People want clear answers. All scientists can do is offer their best guess based on their experiences of other respiratory viruses, plus the two years or so to learn about this one. And if possible present those guesses clearly, and taking into account the economic/social/mental factors that might not point to the same conclusions as the scientific ones.

Completely agree with this. It's worth mentioning that those doing the modelling are not the ones making the decisions. Politicians are- a good politician should be asking questions about models (probably the same ones we are asking on this thread- though not about those nurse pictures) then come to an informed decision. I often think politicians should be taught basic statistics or data analysis because this will be what is presented to them to make decisions on. 

16 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

And being rude to The Sun or The Daily Mail is a virtue that would all by itself, earn my vote. 

Simpin' aint easy folks