Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Busy in Dundee then? Glad to hear it. Cumbernauld was busy before the ‘think about cancelling your Christmas parties’ spiel. The atmosphere in and around the town centre was very good. Was a different story today.

Centre and Perth Rd will likely be decent tonight, but it will all be very concentrated to the packed every weekend anyway places.  

Pretty sure a lot of lower key places will not have anything like the trade they expected. 

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It makes the assumption that a trend will continue unabated.

It's flawed thinking.

It's demonstrably flawed thinking.

It a pattern, just as people use to base decisions on all sorts of aspects of their lives.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that an increase like that will go on until the end of time, but in the absence of something that changes the state of play like a lockdown or some event that brings about lots of mixing, it's the best guess that can be made. Anyone who presents it as anything else is overplaying their hand.

Edited by Adamski

1 minute ago, CALDERON said:

Johnson starting to cave.  COBRA meeting this weekend.

Tbf neither he nor the chancellor were at the last one so could be a load of nothing other than ticking a box saying "we've had a meeting now piss off"

That's Denmark going into a partial lockdown/wetting the bed (delete as appropriate):

Danish prime minister Mette Frederiksen said on Friday that theatres, cinemas, concert halls, amusement parks, museums and art galleries must shut down to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Frederiksen said stores smaller than 2,000 sq metres (21,528 sq ft) and restaurants in Denmark also must limit their number of customers. The government is advising residents to limit social contacts over the Christmas holidays.

“We are not talking about shutting down the whole country as we did last year,” Frederiksen said.

The shutdown order requires parliamentary approval. Lawmakers on the epidemic committee meet on Friday afternoon.

Like many other European countries, Denmark is seeing an rise in Covid-19 cases, with health authorities saying the number of infections and hospitalisations has risen faster than expected.

The country reported 9,999 new cases on Thursday, and the number was above 11,000 on Friday, the prime minister said.

Last year, Denmark was one of the first European countries to close schools because of the pandemic.

I mind the days when they were the poster boys we should all be following. Changed days.

For everyone thinking the drop up here can only be explained by a data lag, it has gone into an equally thumping reverse in London.

Either it is a ridiculous lag, or there are a lot of piss stained sheets currently en route to the laundry as we speak.

20211217_165841.jpg

25 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

How are other P&Bers finding their hometowns just now? Please don’t say ‘I just take the bus as usual and there it is’…. 😜

Was up in Cumbernauld town centre earlier, and it was very quiet. Wasn’t even a queue at Greggs in the Antonine Centre, and that’s a first. Folk avoiding towns ‘just in case’, or maybe just quiet because the turkey, sprouts and stuff is still only dated to December 20th?

Was at the Eastfield Way retail park in Inverness at lunchtime and it was heaving. Car park was mobbed. 

Edit - and it’s a big car park. 

Edited by TheScarf

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
20 minutes ago, renton said:
That's Denmark going into a partial lockdown/wetting the bed (delete as appropriate):

Danish prime minister Mette Frederiksen said on Friday that theatres, cinemas, concert halls, amusement parks, museums and art galleries must shut down to contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Frederiksen said stores smaller than 2,000 sq metres (21,528 sq ft) and restaurants in Denmark also must limit their number of customers. The government is advising residents to limit social contacts over the Christmas holidays.

“We are not talking about shutting down the whole country as we did last year,” Frederiksen said.

The shutdown order requires parliamentary approval. Lawmakers on the epidemic committee meet on Friday afternoon.

Like many other European countries, Denmark is seeing an rise in Covid-19 cases, with health authorities saying the number of infections and hospitalisations has risen faster than expected.

The country reported 9,999 new cases on Thursday, and the number was above 11,000 on Friday, the prime minister said.

Last year, Denmark was one of the first European countries to close schools because of the pandemic.

I mind the days when they were the poster boys we should all be following. Changed days.

I'll hold my hands up on this one. It was a bad call to expect a place with very minimal prior exposure to not get absolutely beasted eventually. Ominous for Australia, New Zealand, East Asia, etc.

13 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

For everyone thinking the drop up here can only be explained by a data lag, it has gone into an equally thumping reverse in London.

Either it is a ridiculous lag, or there are a lot of piss stained sheets currently en route to the laundry as we speak.

20211217_165841.jpg

Genuine question as I'm not expert with these graphs but isn't the latest fall very similar to one that happened a few days ago but the trend maintained as an increase beyond that point in time?

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

On 16/12/2021 at 16:32, Savage Henry said:

Try Beauly or Black Isle.  My partner is in her thirties and just arranged a booster appointment for Tuesday. 

Cheers brother. There’s now a seconds drop in centre in Inverness and managed to get an appointment for Tuesday. 

4 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Genuine question as I'm not expert with these graphs but isn't the latest fall very similar to one that happened a few days ago but the trend maintained as an increase beyond that point in time?

Yeah.  Too early to call anything based on a single days change.

6 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes, I did spot that tbf.

Scot Gov’s mandatory measures for business published yesterday were completely vague - ‘mandatory reasonable measures to reduce the risk of transmission’, ‘table service where possible’ etc.

Clearly Sturgeon doesn’t have the financial wherewithal to follow through with her threats to close or heavily restrict the hospitality, nightclubs and live music sectors, so all her pontificating is just empty rhetoric and political grandstanding, for now.

For those of us working and operating businesses in these sectors, it’s the perfect storm though - customer confidence has been shattered and trade has collapsed after Public Health Scotland and Sturgeon’s repeated calls to avoid busy hospitality settings, and the lack of substantive restrictions seemingly means a lack of governmental financial responsibility for the devastating effects of their (highly effective) strategy of dissuading people from frequenting Scottish businesses.

The latest (very strong) rumour is that businesses in hospitality, culture and tourism (and their supply chains) stand to be granted in the order of 4k to 7k each (depending on rateable value) from Scot Gov’s 100 million fund in January, as expected a derisory drop in the ocean, with the Scottish hospitality sector alone citing 1 billion in lost revenue already. 

The hope is that more funding will flow from Westminster to avert the existential threat to these sectors, but the worry is that if Sunak obliges, the restrictions will inevitably tighten. Though being forcibly closed and adequately compensated might be preferable to this half-way house.

Edited by Frankie S

53 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

How are other P&Bers finding their hometowns just now? Please don’t say ‘I just take the bus as usual and there it is’…. 😜

Was up in Cumbernauld town centre earlier, and it was very quiet. Wasn’t even a queue at Greggs in the Antonine Centre, and that’s a first. Folk avoiding towns ‘just in case’, or maybe just quiet because the turkey, sprouts and stuff is still only dated to December 20th?

Just walked through the grass market in Edinburgh and while not as packed as a normal Friday before Christmas, most places still looked busy.

Having said that Edinburgh has pretty much always been busy since places reopened, while Glasgow has been much quieter than normal any time I’ve been through.