Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Whitty is like doctor doom. 

Every time that Whitty goes within 10 yards of Johnson his credibility goes down a notch. 

No wonder that he just wants to tell us that we're all going to die, and then to get the f**k out of there. 

My cousin and his gf came down for the Warehouse Project last weekend and caught the Covid and I’m clear despite being in amongst it with them.

Obvs a bit of a shanner even though they’ll be fine for Christmas but I’m hooting and hollering at me going to six WHP events this year and an 80,000 capacity festival and waltzing through without a scratch.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

My cousin and his gf came down for the Warehouse Project last weekend and caught the Covid and I’m clear despite being in amongst it with them.

Obvs a bit of a shanner even though they’ll be fine for Christmas but I’m hooting and hollering at me going to six WHP events this year and an 80,000 capacity festival and waltzing through without a scratch.

You probably had it at some point and didn't notice it compared to your comedown.

Why is so much emphasise being put on rising case numbers? The concern here is folk going to hospital and overwhelming the NHS is it not - something which the South African evidence suggests this variant won’t do? It’s a load of absolute shite. I’ve booked my booster regardless, I’m in on Friday after a night out in Edinburgh. Wouldn’t be surprised if I caught the variant and got boosted while infected - f**k knows how that pans out.

2 hours ago, Tynie Heep said:

Clapping and Quality Street are the fuel required.

Never mind that nobody actually tackled the twenty plus years of patients on corridors, nil places for rehabilitation of patients resulting in bed blocking, reduced capacity etc.

Protecting the nhs narrative only seems to have came about the last 12 months and all the problems are as a result of covid.

Trying to rewrite history.  Unbelievable the brass necks on them.  They did nothing for years to address the fundamental issues but alas its covid to blame not them.

Calls for better funding and work conditions to improve the health service have been replaced with constant calls to restrict society at the first opportunity. A disgrace.

Of course, this is 'something that no First/Prime Minister wants to have to do!!111' 🥴

Edited by Elixir

42 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Anyone heading to the Mosque in Glasgow for boosty goodness, it’s currently a 25 min wait outside, and looks to be at least that once you’re in.

Fortunately I have just entered the building, given it looks like the rain might hose it down in the next 10 mins or so!

I'd be more worried about the omnicron catching you with the amount of people standing all day and the top notch ventilation system on display

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Why is so much emphasise being put on rising case numbers? The concern here is folk going to hospital and overwhelming the NHS is it not - something which the South African evidence suggests this variant won’t do? It’s a load of absolute shite. I’ve booked my booster regardless, I’m in on Friday after a night out in Edinburgh. Wouldn’t be surprised if I caught the variant and got boosted while infected - f**k knows how that pans out.

Whitty disagrees.  Says hospital numbers are low in South Africa because of immunity due to their previous delta wave.

My immediate response to this is we have no immunity due to previous waves or due to vaccines.

For those that don’t speak fluent sarcasm I’m wondering why he thinks South Africa are in a better place than us with Omicron?

6 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I think the idea is that infections now are mainly amongst the young and working population but Omicron and Christmas mixing mean that if there is an explosion in cases in the next week or so it will transfer through to more vulnerable populations right at the time when respiratory viruses are most fatal.

Aye, it must be way above my pay grade but I can’t figure out why SA having a previous high exposure of a delta wave coupled with a poorer vaccination coverage means they are in a better position.

We’ve been ticking along with about 3k / 30+K all year at a Scotland and uk level, so surely this, coupled with our vaccines should mean we are in a similar if not better place?

I get the sheer weight of numbers translating into x hospitalisations etc but the rest of it doesn’t add up.

I think what they mean is that you can’t compare the % rates of hospitalisation etc. between the 2 waves in SA due to the changing circumstances. You can’t categorically say that the Omicron variant is significantly less dangerous. I think that was his point.