Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Why on earth are they (Scotrail) cancelling Santa Express trips when regular services will be busy and running normally? Where the eff is the logic in this? Of course there is no logic; it’s just sheer nonsense and pandering to the vague messages about cancelling parties.

Leitch was on the radio today saying folk should still go to concerts though and have meals out. It is the killing fields of Christmas Parties that has the Scottish Government losing their minds. Utter postering nonsense and a total overreach by Sturgeon who is always compelled to open her gub at any opportunity to highlight how caring she is, and we will all be duly grateful as long as you are one of her “fan boys”

36 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Of course, I'm sure literally every restaurant/bar/pub/club/event host take all of their money in the two weeks before Christmas via deposits and pre-planned events. Absolutely nobody goes out this time of year and just spends money in a place because they feel like it, so nobody's going to miss that.

36 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Anecdotal takes by some folk out on the lash, isn’t the same as real word reporting by business owners that they have had multiple last minute cancelled bookings at their busiest time of year with no window to cover those cancellations.

Show some compassion ffs.

Literally so entrenched in the view you took at 12.15 (or in reality days / weeks / months ago) that you can’t admit you might have overreacted.  Quite sad really.

And anywhere not getting paid in advance for a works do absolutely deserves it.  Anyone cancelling at short notice isn’t getting their cash back (I know we didn’t when we cancelled a fortnight ago).  That few grand hasn’t evaporated at all
Pish. My work booked an entire pub a few years ago, we got free food and booze all night (as we always get) and at the end of the night my boss paid the bill on his card. I know this as I offered to pay for it and expense it to get the points.

5 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Literally so entrenched in the view you took at 12.15 (or in reality days / weeks / months ago) that you can’t admit you might have overreacted.  Quite sad really.

Yeah I’ll take that on the chin. I expected legally enforceable restrictions that didn’t come to pass.

That doesn’t make the situation any less difficult for hospitality businesses given the guidance.

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

My god the irony.

Simple question for you.

Will the announcement today have a devastating impact onthe hospitality sector for the rest of the month?

No spin, no nonsense.  Give us a one word yes or no answer.

4 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:
And anywhere not getting paid in advance for a works do absolutely deserves it.  Anyone cancelling at short notice isn’t getting their cash back (I know we didn’t when we cancelled a fortnight ago).  That few grand hasn’t evaporated at all

Pish. My work booked an entire pub a few years ago, we got free food and booze all night (as we always get) and at the end of the night my boss paid the bill on his card. I know this as I offered to pay for it and expense it to get the points.

Ok - maybe it is different in the badlands of Fife.  I apologise for applying civilised standards to the question in hand.  

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

My god the irony.

Simple question for you.

Will the announcement today have a devastating impact onthe hospitality sector for the rest of the month?

No spin, no nonsense.  Give us a one word yes or no answer.

No.  It won’t 

5 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Yeah I’ll take that on the chin. I expected legally enforceable restrictions that didn’t come to pass.

That doesn’t make the situation any less difficult for hospitality businesses given the guidance.

Good call, and i agree - problem with this is that people gravitate immediately to the extremes. Truth is always somewhere in the middle. 

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

That’s three words.

So why was your beloved leader out with the begging bowl to Johnson today then?

You can’t have it both ways. it either has an impact or it doesn’t.

All 3 words said the same.

Quick question for you - are hospitality takings still down 40% since the introduction of the vaccine passport?  That was the last disaster for hospitality.

59 minutes ago, yoda said:

You're being deliberately obtuse. Plenty of smaller workplaces will book a restaurant for dinner. They will pay a small deposit per head. They won't pay for everything up front.

Yep, pretty sure its just party nights etc that get paid in full before attending. 

Fwiw ive just passed through Glasgow and there is no where near the typical numbers in the pubs. 

4 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

All 3 words said the same.

Quick question for you - are hospitality takings still down 40% since the introduction of the vaccine passport?  That was the last disaster for hospitality.

I’ll try again.  Why has the begging bowl been out if these announcements have no impact as you claim.

You can have more than one word this time.  I can’t wait to hear it.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I’ll try again.  Why has the begging bowl been out if these announcements have no impact as you claim.

So, i answered your question, but you’re not answering mine?

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

But if it’s helpful, if you listened to it, i suspect NS would like to go further, but needs funding for that.  

Yes - anyone organising a works night out pays in advance. Normally weeks in advance. 
But you don’t care about the facts as it doesn’t play to your narratives. 
Absolute lot of shite.

We have a small team of 6/8 and our night out consists of going on a pub crawl and getting food in whatever pub we can get a table in. No pre payment at any point. Luckily we had ours last week but imagine there will be numerous groups similar to ours cancelling night outs.

Just now, Wee Bully said:

But if it’s helpful, if you listened to it, i suspect NS would like to go further, but needs funding for that.  

So you admit she wants to shut down hospitality and these stupid fear mongering announcements persuading people to stay away are the only tool she has at the moment (apart from tools like yourself of course).

Again you can’t have it both ways.  Regardless of whether she gets any money from Sunak she wants to devastate the hospitality sector.  By hook or by crook she’s doing it so she can claim to be keeping people safe while also taking potshots at Johnson/Sunak.