Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I missed this yesterday

*Public Health Scotland are aware that recent processing issues at labs have impacted turnaround times resulting in delays between specimens being taken and results being received and reported. The situation is being monitored.

I'm not suggesting they are deliberately massaging the figures to make today seem dramatic, but I do wonder just how many there were from the last 24 hours and how many have been "carried over" so to speak.

Need to wait on the specimen date data to get a better picture.

If things are as bad as being made out, why not restrict the thing that don't need Westminster to be on board, such as household gatherings?

Presumably it's because she knows that it'll be roundly ignored and followed-up by Police Scotland saying they don't have the resources to enforce it.  

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I missed this yesterday

*Public Health Scotland are aware that recent processing issues at labs have impacted turnaround times resulting in delays between specimens being taken and results being received and reported. The situation is being monitored.

I'm not suggesting they are deliberately massaging the figures to make today seem dramatic, but I do wonder just how many there were from the last 24 hours and how many have been "carried over" so to speak.

Need to wait on the specimen date data to get a better picture.

There has been a higher number of tests received in the last 24 hours as labs begin to address the turnaround time between specimens being taken and results being received and reported.

Does not really clear up whether they are "at it" or not !!

Edited by superbigal

Spot the balanced comments here that were missing from NS earlier.

Mr Drakeford said that it was still not clear how easy that would be to manage as it depended on several factors that were not yet clear.

The First Minister said: "If we are at the fortunate end of the spectrum, that it's a milder illness [and] that the booster program gives you a significant defence against it, then the models show that the impact will be very real because of the speed, but that is probably absorbable by our public services.

"If it turns out that the variant is as severe or more severe than delta, if the vaccine escape is greater than we would have hoped for, then models will show that that impact will be much more difficult to manage. We're not at a point to where the modeling is sufficiently secure across to know which of those it will be.

Doesn't sound like he has the begging bowl out just yet.

Was it though? If my bidey-in had tested positive last week, would I still be in a 10 day isolation period even with a negative PCR and double vaccination?  If not, then that's a change.
That's PHS advice - you just wonder how enforceable that actually is.

File it in the bin will be many people's response.

There was very little of substance in that speech.

It was a try and scare folk into complying approach which will go in one ear and out the other for a lot of people.

What she actually said was: "So the public health advice, which I have no alternative but to agree with given the evidence of risk, is that we should all think a bit more carefully about unnecessary contacts in crowded places just now, that it would be sensible to defer work Christmas parties."

It's fucking waffle tbqh.

PS Has the new advice been published yet? The latest update is for 8 December as far as I could see. There is mention of "exemptions for people working in critical services" in the speech - who does that include?

1 hour ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Just goes to show that no matter how clear and how frank the FM is folk will still claim she is *loving this* and *waffling* 

While we have the fifteenth (?) occasion in recent weeks where "she would definitely be imposing DRACONIAN AUTHORITARIAN new restrictions just because she can/to be stricter than England/to care more" and not imposed any further restrictions other than a change to isolation within households of confirmed cases of Omicron. 

If after that you aren't clear on what the situation is, what the risk is to the population and what decisions are having to be made and why then you either weren't listening or just don't want to hear it. 

Clear? Perhaps she could be clear for the people in the hospitality industry now absolutely terrified if they still have a job, means to pay the wages, the rent or buy their kids something for christmas? 
Whats actually wrong with you that you see her performance as anything other than shambolic? 
Why take these measures and destroy an entire sector which has no financial support? Why take these measures when even the WHO is saying this is a milder form of the virus? The only danger to the NHS and other public services is down to underfunding by the Scottish Government and absolutely nothing else. Why if its so much more dangerous are they not releasing the hospitalisation figures for this variant? Whats the point in having 3 vaccines if im going to be kept in the house for no actual reason? 

At least the tories dont hide the fact they are a complete shower of arseholes.

5 minutes ago, superbigal said:

There has been a higher number of tests received in the last 24 hours as labs begin to address the turnaround time between specimens being taken and results being received and reported.

Does not really clear up whether they are "at it" or not !!

This is the type of thing NS would have specifically mentioned previously.  That is of course when she wanted a more positive rhetoric.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Spot the balanced comments here that were missing from NS earlier.

Mr Drakeford said that it was still not clear how easy that would be to manage as it depended on several factors that were not yet clear.

The First Minister said: "If we are at the fortunate end of the spectrum, that it's a milder illness [and] that the booster program gives you a significant defence against it, then the models show that the impact will be very real because of the speed, but that is probably absorbable by our public services.

"If it turns out that the variant is as severe or more severe than delta, if the vaccine escape is greater than we would have hoped for, then models will show that that impact will be much more difficult to manage. We're not at a point to where the modeling is sufficiently secure across to know which of those it will be.

Doesn't sound like he has the begging bowl out just yet.

Because piggybacking a push for Welsh independence on the back of this isn’t on his agenda.

Sturgeon has thrown hospitality under a bus and is already pointing the finger down south for when she gets told to bolt.

49 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't share your optimism there. Last year, the South East of England was put into Tier 3 and then immediately dumped into a newly-created Tier 4 the very next day. 

Johnson is also in a very bad situation currently and will do anything he can to try and show he's in control after his attempts to deny a party took place in the building he lives in. 

That briefing today has unfortunately set the tone.

Had furlough been still going, I might be more concerned that restrictions were coming. But NS has had that comfort blanket taken away from her. And I don't see any appetite in England to bring it back.