Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Lockdown without financial support would see the SNP out of government by February.

There would be riots.

Simply not going to happen.

Whilst i wouldnt want to see riots because they destroy businesses which are already struggling and put people at risk. I would understand mass protest and civil disobedience. 
If Sturgeon imposes these draconian measures then surely its time for it to be challenged in court. There is absolutely no grounds for this pish. Is it just me or does anyone else think that if we were independent then we’d be doing a New  Zealand right now? They can take the safety theatre and f**k off. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aye, but they are sneaky c***s. They already have employers telling their staff they shouldnt be doing this or that. Iv heard of at least 3 seperate workplaces who have seen fit to try and tell their employees not to have Christmas nights out. 

What will happen today IMHO is that they will try to bend the narrative to place the onus on businesses and the public. She will try to go as close to a proxy lockdown as possible by making it almost a stigma to do anything other than stay in the house. 

Can she afford the backlash from the hospitality industry?  'Pubs and restaurants can stay open but we encourage you all not to go to them'  That's political suicide.

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Whilst i wouldnt want to see riots because they destroy businesses which are already struggling and put people at risk. I would understand mass protest and civil disobedience. 
If Sturgeon imposes these draconian measures then surely its time for it to be challenged in court. There is absolutely no grounds for this pish. Is it just me or does anyone else think that if we were independent then we’d be doing a New  Zealand right now? They can take the safety theatre and f**k off. 

Yep, Covid in an Independent Scotland would be fucking horrific.  

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Can she afford the backlash from the hospitality industry?  'Pubs and restaurants can stay open but we encourage you all not to go to them'  That's political suicide.

This is what Boris Johnson did just before London went into Tier 3 (and was subsequently dumped into a new Tier 4 the very next day). Emphasis on pubs rather than restaurants, though. 

Everyone ignored him and went anyway. A bit of a 'last hurrah before we're locked down again'. 

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Its  impossible for NS / SNP to commit political suicide - which basically is the crux of the problem.

Look down south - Fifty Conservative back benchers prepared to vote against the government re Plan B. Not a whimper will come from any of the SNP equivalent at Holyrood (I'm not actually even sure if they're allowed to?). 

IMO,

- Vaccine passports will be extended to all hospitality venues

- Hospitality can remain open but social distancing will be reintroduced, apart from nightclubs. 

- I wouldn’t be surprised if nightclubs and large indoor events move to a vaccine AND lateral flow test proof. The SG would really like to close these things at least over Christmas like Ireland have done, but the lack of furlough prevents that.

- Actually on second thoughts I think they might just close nightclubs anyway and pay the furlough out of their own budget. This would be less costly than the full blown furlough scheme.

- They’ll probably bring back 6 adults from 3 households maximum in pubs, restaurants and indoor gatherings.

Hope I’m wrong. 

Just now, Steven W said:

Its  impossible for NS / SNP to commit political suicide - which basically is the crux of the problem.

Look down south - Fifty Conservative back benchers prepared to vote against the government re Plan B. Not a whimper will come from any of the SNP equivalent at Holyrood (I'm not actually even sure if they're allowed to?). 

They’re not allowed to- it’s in the SNP constitution that MSPs/MPs can’t publicly criticise the party or they’ll be expelled.

11 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'd say the chances of riots or mass civil disobedience is pretty much zero.

Can I still lie in a semi-comatose heap watching Strictly Celebrity on Ice and get a Chinese delivered on a Saturday? If so then I'm OK with any guidance or restrictions.

As noted above, you can't really reintroduce social distancing within such specific sectors.  2m social distancing isn't possible in the vast majority of bars and restaurants, you are effectively closing them.

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:

Get folk jagged and boosted. Anything else is a complete waste of time and resources.

This is a very good point - everything is focused on the relatively minor alterations to restrictions already there.  The FM should be laser focused on getting as many boosters rolled out as possible.  My wife was due hers this week but had to reschedule as she wasn't well on the day.  The next date she got was the start of January.  Why can't we have walk-in clinics for boosters for everyone over 50 or with a condition?  We have this f*cking passport, can't we use that to make it easier to get a booster?

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

This is a very good point - everything is focused on the relatively minor alterations to restrictions already there.  The FM should be laser focused on getting as many boosters rolled out as possible.  My wife was due hers this week but had to reschedule as she wasn't well on the day.  The next date she got was the start of January.  Why can't we have walk-in clinics for boosters for everyone over 50 or with a condition?  We have this f*cking passport, can't we use that to make it easier to get a booster?

Totally agree. I got my booster yesterday and am loaded with the cold. I just lied and said I felt fine, as it's been a pain in the arse trying to get it in the first place. Imagined a delay into New Year if it was rescheduled so just took the chance. If I get ill for a few days because I took it with the cold so be it, I just wanted boosted ahead of the Christmas holidays.

Just now, ICTChris said:

Re vaccinations, without labouring the point we're just back from Florida, if we were locals we could have got vaccinated at the airport, any one of a number of supermarkets or at the NFL game we attended, all on a walk in basis. 

Just received this at work from regulatory standards dept, beyond ominous !!!

Morning

FM will be making a statement at 1215pm today regarding the current pandemic status. The situation can best be described as severe. We expect an announcement by Tuesday which will result in enhanced enforcement responsibilities for LA Regulatory Services but may be sooner. Four nations discussions are on-going and I would not rule out a Plan C announcement by UKGov which may influence the SG response.

Be prepared for the worst but hope for the least worst

B

My guess: 

Vaccine passports extended to all hospitality and entertainment venues, despite the SG's own report saying they are not effective. 

Standard Sturgeon lecture - threats of more restrictions, test before you leave the house, don't have Christmas parties, please get your booster as soon as possible. 

Can't see it going further immediately. You need to keep something in your armoury to deliver another kick in the balls press briefing before Christmas.