Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I mean, this modelling is just mince. Cases are currently doubling every 1.68 days, and the extrapolation shown is if that carries on. Makes no notice of the fact that as the virus infects more people, and comes into contact with more protected/vaccinated people, there are fewer places for the virus to go. It will slow down and retreat. Like every other wave.

The doubling every 1.68 days stat takes into account the protection offered by vaccine and previous infection.

The current thinking from Goethe University in Frankfurt is that neither status will prevent infection.

Edited by Detournement

8 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I mean, this modelling is just mince. Cases are currently doubling every 1.68 days, and the extrapolation shown is if that carries on. Makes no notice of the fact that as the virus infects more people, and comes into contact with more protected/vaccinated people, there are fewer places for the virus to go. It will slow down and retreat. Like every other wave.

It will also replace the tens of thousands of Delta cases that the UK is registering on a daily basis. As one rises, the other will drop off a cliff in direct fucking correlation to each other. 

On 21/11/2021 at 11:30, Elixir said:

Err, the reason for the Scottish Government always moving three weeks after the UK Government is so they could appear more care-y, and because they couldn't be seen to keep people here locked up while they weren't across the border. It's nothing more complicated than that.

As for 'trivial' face masks and vaxx passports we'll have to endure all winter - deary me. By the time they finally relinquish control up here it will probably have been a full 9-10 months that England never had to, with zero benefit to the people of Scotland. Not safety, just theatre, entrenched fear and creating needless hardship for businesses.

This aged well Mr Cut and Paste

Edited by Caledonian1

53 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Can you bookmark posts? If so I'd like to bookmark this one, and come back to it on December 30th.

million daily cases in the UK by December 30th if this modelling proves to be, ahem, accurate. I'd very much like to come back here three weeks from today and see how we are doing.

Fucking LOL. Must have been produced using the same software that predicted 44,000 cases per day in Scotland by 7th November.

Did we not see similar modelling around "Freedom Day" which spectacularly didn't happen? No idea why we continue to both produce or believe models, though. I can't think of a single one which has been correct, yet they are always spoken about as though they are amazing.

On a slightly separate note - positives on a "specimen date" in Scotland look to be starting to drop again following a couple of weeks worth of increases (look out for Superbigal to hit out with an exclusive on this sometime next week) despite Omicron very much being in the community here. The impossibly bald speccy tube can be returned to his box for now.

Also, Public Health Scotland have issued a media release "urging people to defer" attendance at Christmas parties due to Omicron.

My own work Christmas party, not in Scotland, has been postponed until the end of January.

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Also, Public Health Scotland have issued a media release "urging people to defer" attendance at Christmas parties due to Omicron.

My own work Christmas party, not in Scotland, has been postponed until the end of January.

Christmas Parties in January are dreadful.

Another dagger into the hospitality industry then, with absolutely zero financial help in return.

I think a lot of people would be avoiding contact at the moment anyway to ensure they aren’t infected over Christmas.

My work Christmas meal was in November so Omicron wasn’t a thing. Halcyon days.

I need help P&B. Until retirement, I was a graphic designer. One of the products we used was Omnicrom, a metallic transfer sheet thingy. No matter how hard I try, in every conversation, I call the latest variant ‘Omnicrom’. People are looking at me and thinking ‘fanny’ - even more than they normally do. Please tell me there’s a new variant on the way.

https://www.vycombe-arts.co.uk/onlineshop/prod_6608161-Omnicrom-Colour-Transfer-Sheets-A4.html