Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Regardless of the parties at Downing Street, people are adhering less and less to the guidance. NS told Scots to work from home till mid-January. I don't know anyone who has followed that. People who had gone back to the office a few days per week (including my wife) have continued to do that - simply put, the benefits of being around people outweigh the fears of the virus amongst a group of triple-jagged people. Nobody wants to be locked in the house again.

If they bring in a Christmas lockdown, many will not follow it. I won't - I'm visiting my parents at Christmas, regardless of any announcements between now and then. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Regardless of the parties at Downing Street, people are adhering less and less to the guidance. NS told Scots to work from home till mid-January. I don't know anyone who has followed that. People who had gone back to the office a few days per week (including my wife) have continued to do that - simply put, the benefits of being around people outweigh the fears of the virus amongst a group of triple-jagged people. Nobody wants to be locked in the house again.

If they bring in a Christmas lockdown, many will not follow it. I won't - I'm visiting my parents at Christmas, regardless of any announcements between now and then. 

My concern is that they know large swathes of the population will ignore such restrictions if re-introduced and that they target the same small businesses and the licenced trade as they have done before just to be seen to be doing something. 

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Yep, same here.

There's absolutely no chance I'm refusing to have my mum spending Christmas with her family including young grandson of 1.5 years old because of yet another 'new variant' and potential pressure on the NHS.

The fact she's got epilepsy, clinical depression, terrible balance, arthritis and all sorts of other minor-ish issues from brain operations she had before I was born only makes me more determined. 

Adhering to these constant rules seems to be far worse than the harm caused by the virus IMO.

7 minutes ago, ddfg said:

My concern is that they know large swathes of the population will ignore such restrictions if re-introduced and that they target the same small businesses and the licenced trade as they have done before just to be seen to be doing something. 

Cause that’ll help them at the ballot box…

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

In other words, once the data on this becomes stronger and it blows over (which will hopefully be very soon), any future interventions will be placed on the unvaccinated only.

I take it you would need some kind of vaccine passport scheme to make that work?

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

It only took a month for Omicron to become the dominant variant in South Africa.

Same will happen here and all over Europe. So by Christmas week we will know. After Christmas and New Year nearly everyone will have had it, have it or about to have it. I can see schools opening a week late.

I find it strange that given the data so far that the UK Gov are reacting now to bring in restrictions because of Omicron but with the much more severe Delta they did practically nothing. Makes no sense.

I think the theory is it might be up to 4 or 5 times more transmissable.

If cases go up 500% but it is 50% less harmful then that leads to a 250% rise in hospital admissions

As I say only the theory they are presenting.

I am pretty hopeful Omicron is a good thing.

I did note Boris mentioning they may well abandon this futile red list stuff now that it is widespread.

Edited by superbigal

“While public adherence to Covid guidelines was falling before news emerged of Cummings’ drive to Barnard Castle, the decline worsened in England in the three weeks after, but not in Scotland or Wales,” said Fancourt, associate professor of psychobiology and epidemiology at UCL.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/09/debacle-over-no-10-christmas-party-threatens-efforts-to-control-pandemic

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

He also said that there would soon come a time where it would no longer be right to subject everyone to various NPIs in order to protect those who have chosen not to take the vaccine from the potential for serious illness.

In other words, once the data on this becomes stronger and it blows over (which will hopefully be very soon), any future interventions will be placed on the unvaccinated only.

Which means permanent vaccine passports. 

Shockerooni. 

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Depends what you did in Tescos.

That is the obvious joke but it's a nasty comment which implies a judgement of guilt due to abnormal behaviour on people who contracted HIV.

He's a well meaning fool. I explained that to him a while ago and he banned me off his blog!

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

'Get a grip' is a piss poor way of speaking to people whom you have no idea what they are going though and what they have been through since the start of this pandemic. Everyone's experiences are different. There is nothing wrong with posters letting their frustrations out on the thread (as long as it isn't abusive to other posters), some do it more than others and probably get a lot stuff off their chest as they might find it difficult to do with family or friends.

Really? People are going through through times? What a revelation! 

Trust me, I know. I have two sons in their twenties who have been under the same restrictions as everyone else so their recreational and social lives have been as knackered as everyone else's.  We were not exactly strangers to going out, or for holidays.  My wife hasn't seen her Italian relatives since Covid started and she used to go to Italy at least twice a year.   My younger lad's girlfriend's parents live abroad and she hasn't seen them since 2019.

Worse, I have 2 relatives undergoing cancer treatment and one of them will not see much of 2022 so yes, what some people are going through is well known to me. Any avoidable stress on the NHS is an ongoing danger to everyone else in the country. By "avoidable" I mean involving the type of utter bast@rds like the clowns I referred to in my post and almost as bad, those who go online an spread their rubbish while childishly playing the 'freedom fighter'. 

I'm certainly not looking for or expecting sympathy - I know better than that on this site and there's folk much, much worse off than me, but you might see why folk who girn and whine about wearing masks and other restrictions give me the boak.  In the absence of any contradictory info, I find the Trump/Biden counties quite persuasive and I confess to some disappointment that there appear to be so many Trump-minded folk around. 

Folk can either do all they can to help slow the spread of the virus, or they can participate in encouraging others to help the virus spread.  Rational people will choose the former.