Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Calling [mention=198]ICTChris[/mention]. You have had a couple of days to consider, surely time is nigh to put this thread out of our misery ?
While this thread has been a total bin fire almost since Covid was "over as a public health crisis", at least we know where some of the most deranged/deluded Walter Mittys on the site spend the majority of their time*, leaving the rest of us to enjoy the myriad other threads.

*In some cases, what appears to be all their waking hours. Some people on here are really going to miss this wee echo chamber when it goes.

Wow.
Just wow.
Imagine thinking that unquestioning obedience and compliance was a good thing in a person.
Makes you wonder how change can ever happen when kids are taught that questioning authority is a bad thing.
It's 5yo kids ffs man what bit do you not grasp. They are not obeying unquestionably, they are merely repeating what they are hearing day in day out. Get off your fake moral high ground just for once. I take it you were one of those parents that basically let your kids do / say what they wanted. No lines, no rules, free to do as they pleased, mini freethinkers ???

Breaking news on Sky.  We’re all fucked / it’ll all be fine *
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-first-lab-tests-on-omicron-in-south-africa-suggest-pfizer-vaccine-may-be-up-to-40-times-less-effective-against-new-variant-12489417
* based on a study of 12 people.  delete as appropriate depending on your view
Vaccines either work or they don't. Three doses in under 9 months and now a chance a new strain might negate its effect by 40%. What now, another tweaked version and yet another jab. It cant go on like this !

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
12 minutes ago, Left Back said:
Breaking news on Sky.  We’re all fucked / it’ll all be fine *
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-first-lab-tests-on-omicron-in-south-africa-suggest-pfizer-vaccine-may-be-up-to-40-times-less-effective-against-new-variant-12489417
* based on a study of 12 people.  delete as appropriate depending on your view

Vaccines either work or they don't. Three doses in under 9 months and now a chance a new strain might negate its effect by 40%. What now, another tweaked version and yet another jab. It cant go on like this !

CEO’s of big pharma are praying it does.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

image.png.667525aa2fed5c693e174b247c8eb7ee.png

I'm not sure a god bothering, Corbyn funding, knight of the realm who has been known to do little other than make outlandish and questionable remarks during his political career adds much to the house of commons and yet there he sits sponging away our cash.

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

image.png.667525aa2fed5c693e174b247c8eb7ee.png

I made a half-hearted attempt to try and find the data from the very early days of the pandemic to try and draw a comparison.  Not been able to figure out how many people were in hospital from the first 300/400 confirmed cases.  Not sure it would be entirely relevant even if I did find the right data.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

The article doesn’t even claim masks work.  It’s conjecture, same as any other article you could post.

How is  "The researchers reported that fabric face masks “blocked between 62.6% and 87.1% of fine particles, whereas surgical masks protected against an average of 78.2% of fine particles. N95 masks blocked 99.6% of fine particles.”  conjecture?

I'm not surprised that more is being leaked about what went on at No10 over last Christmas. As soon as that original story broke I suspected more would be drip fed. Looking back to last Christmas, they really were taking the piss out of us. 

While this thread has been a total bin fire almost since Covid was "over as a public health crisis", at least we know where some of the most deranged/deluded Walter Mittys on the site spend the majority of their time*, leaving the rest of us to enjoy the myriad other threads.

*In some cases, what appears to be all their waking hours. Some people on here are really going to miss this wee echo chamber when it goes.

Reading through the past few hours of eye-bleeding posts seems to confirm that view.

Entrenched opinions would be an understatement.

There's a couple at least here who need to walk away and have a lie down before they have an embolism.

19 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

It is when it completely supports your argument. Not one of you has provided a scrap of evidence to the contrary.

You’re absolutely priceless.

Will you be back tomorrow and coming out with more of this stuff? I’ve got some really shite calls I have to dial in to and could do with some entertainment.

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You and @Meldrew should talk to people like @Frankie Sand tell him that nobody has had to drop anything of importance due to covid and that this has all been fine and that he should just stop being a selfish, whiny b*****d about it all.

While you're at it, you can explain to him how he can continue to pay his mortgage, his rent, his bills and his staff due to the dropped custom from restrictions which have done the square root of f**k all to control case numbers. I'm  sure he'll welcome the advice.

I’ve more or less given up posting about Covid as it’s become increasingly clear that despite near universal vaccination levels in Scotland, this shit is simply never going to end, so anger has subsided into resignation. 

There are just too many vested interests (including the lowest common denominator clickbait-peddling c*nts that masquerade as the media in our country) in prolonging and perpetuating the fear, and the jumped-up nobodys that constitute the government in Scotland have gotten a taste for authoritarianism, with governmental restrictions on businesses and civil liberties that would have been considered inconceivable before the pandemic now taking up permanent residence in our society, like a slowly-metastasising tumour. Even if we were to charitably characterise them as reluctant authoritarians, Scot Gov have boxed themselves into a corner with their myopic Covid-centric worldview and their ‘safety first’ rhetoric masking their collective incompetence and inability to implement (or even formulate) a coherent strategy for extricating the country and its moribund economy from the catatonic stupor that now envelops it.

But, if we were to put aside the soul-destroying reality of the last couple of years and pretend for a moment that the Scottish government actually gave a shit about Scottish businesses, casting aside delusory notions that our irresponsible media would ever forego the opportunity to hype the absolute crap out of the latest variant (irrespective of the growing scientific orthodoxy that Covid seems to be mutating into ever more transmissible and ever less lethal variants, as it transitions from the pandemic to endemic phase, as most people who know anything about epidemiology - i.e. not Jason Leitch or Devi Sridhar - predicted long ago), running moronic ‘think pieces’ cobbled together by dullards about how ‘ethically responsible’ it is to attend Christmas parties in the ‘Omicron-infested hellholes’ of hospitality, the practical effect in the real world of all the omicron variant hype is that customers are cancelling Christmas bookings in their droves. 

Last week, my business lost Christmas bookings for 60 and 30 respectively (amongst many other smaller groups), resulting in refunds running into five figures. Normally, in the pre-pandemic world, a deposit for a Christmas party would be non-refundable, but in the post-Covid landscape you simply can’t retain deposits, or you get stigmatised for ‘not taking Covid seriously’, so you suck up the losses and hope that walk-ins or late bookings from less risk-averse punters can make up the shortfall. Some hope. 
One of the by-products of Covid is that customers now feel entitled to make multiple bookings at multiple outlets, only ever intending to go to one of them, then cancel the bookings at the last minute, leaving hospitality venues with gaping empty spaces when they should be fully booked over the Christmas season. The hope was that groups leaving deposits for Christmas parties would be less likely to cancel than casual non festive season bookings (which tend not to be asked for deposits), but given that the industry is typically issuing full refunds on deposits (to avoid stigmatisation), and there is the now unimpeachable pretext of someone in the party coming down with Covid, or the increased risk of contracting new ‘vaccine-resistant’ Covid variants (as someone ‘on the news’ said the other day), customers are taking up the option to cancel in large numbers, and that’s now proving to be a forlorn hope.

It’s been clear since the start of the pandemic that the Scottish government is happy to preside over the complete destruction of the hospitality sector, as its consistent scapegoating of the industry (and punitive restrictions inflicted on it) since the start of the pandemic has attested, so pleas from the industry that it’s losing millions due to Omicron scaremongering won’t result in either a) more (or rather any) financial support for the industry or b) stop Sturgeon and her idiotic minions (Swinney, Leitch et al) constantly threatening the return of draconian restrictions for the sector, irrespective of the continuing encouraging data on hospitalisations and deaths.

Given the brutal staff shortages in our beleaguered sector, exacerbated by Brexit and the 'pingdemic', and made worse by the imposition of the labour-intensive vaccine passport scheme, and continuing supply issues, the last thing the sector needed was the lucrative festive period being decimated by the now customary ‘Save Christmas’ new variant bed-wetting, but here we are again.

Some people in hospitality (amongst the few of us that haven't already given up the ghost) are consoling themselves with the thought that things will pick up again in the spring, if they can stave off bankruptcy that long, but with no indication yet that the Scottish government will follow Westminster in extending the rates amnesty for another 12 months, and landlords looking for payback on temporary rent reductions granted to tenants in the sector over the last couple of years, and doubtless the Zeta variant lurking ominously around the corner (before we finally run out of letters and have to start on some convoluted alpha-numeric system for naming all the initially ‘scary’ variants that eventually turn out to be milder than the media predicted), I would expect this winter to see an enormous increase in the 20,000 small Scottish businesses that went to the wall during the first twelve months of the pandemic according to Scot Gov's own data (and we’ve yet to see the figures from March 2021 to date).

Edited by Frankie S

7 hours ago, Left Back said:

I made a half-hearted attempt to try and find the data from the very early days of the pandemic to try and draw a comparison.  Not been able to figure out how many people were in hospital from the first 300/400 confirmed cases.  Not sure it would be entirely relevant even if I did find the right data.

Given the nature of testing at the time probably 300/400.

I agree its probably not a very helpful comparison.