Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Let me make one thing clear.

I couldn't give a f**k what you THINK I could or couldn't get read through.

I am not discussing masks with you becausde you clearly haven't got a bloody clue what you are talking about and that's the end of it.

That's the fourth time you've said it in ten minutes.

Any chance you could make it happen by giving this forum a rest for a few hours?.

Edited by Barney Rubble

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

Not regarding Covid.  The article even states this.

Have you actually read it?

Overall, direct evidence of the efficacy of mask use is supportive, but inconclusive. Since there are no RCTs, only one observational trial, and unclear evidence from other respiratory illnesses, we will need to look at a wider body of evidence.”

Everything else in the article is supposition and guesswork.  Far from definitive proof.

My last words on this subject which has been debated many times before.

"Compelling data now demonstrate that community mask wearing is an effective nonpharmacologic intervention to reduce the spread of this infection, especially as source control to prevent spread from infected persons, but also as protection to reduce wearers’ exposure to infection."

Stick with this one if you don't like that one.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

Or this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/17/wearing-masks-single-most-effective-way-to-tackle-covid-study-finds

Mask-wearing linked to 53% cut in Covid incidence, global study finds

Or stick your head in the sand, it's up to you.

That is chilling to read mate.
Please tell me you don't have kids.
I do and they are fine adults now. I find it more chilling that you are horrified by very young children following rules they are being bombarded with multiple times a day. It's an utterly bizarre take that you feel / expect 5 year olds not to be repeating what they are being told nigh on 24/7. Kids pretty much do as they are told assuming that's the way they are brought up. To expect a kid to be doing anything different is simply odd.

10 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I'm comparing seatbelts to masks.

What's your thoughts on the 70mph speed limit on motorways?  Seems pretty pointless given the capacity of modern cars and understandably ignored by many, a bit like the most of the "restrictions" 

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No it's more personal than that.

I'm happy to discuss it with other scientists on here like @scottsdad because he knows what he's talking about when it comes to science.

You on the other hand are a waste of space.

An actual scientist wouldn't be passing on dangerous propaganda like this.

I would quite happily scrap every restriction today. However, lots of people are comparing restrictions in many European countries to the fact that in Scotland wearing a mask for short periods and scanning a barcode at certain events has a minimal impact on them and thinking 'this is pretty good'. I think that's a reasonable opinion to hold.

1 minute ago, ddfg said:

What's your thoughts on the 70mph speed limit on motorways?  Seems pretty pointless given the capacity of modern cars and understandably ignored by many, a bit like the most of the "restrictions" 

Feel free to burn down the A9 at 130 mph without a seatbelt then.

No it's more personal than that.
I'm happy to discuss it with other scientists on here like@scottsdad because he knows what he's talking about when it comes to science.
You on the other hand are a waste of space.
You really are getting more and more up your own arse by the hour. Just read that back and tell me that doesn't make you sound like a pompous c**t !

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

An actual scientist wouldn't be passing on dangerous propaganda like this.

No propaganda from me. 

On masks no question that the ffp3 mask, fitted correctly on the face of someone with covid could, in certain circumstances like enclosed spaces, reduce the chance of that person passing on the virus. That is miles away from slapping on any old bit of cloth bought online to walk around a big and empty supermarket at 7am, or going from a nightclub dance floor to the bog. 

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

No propaganda from me. 

On masks no question that the ffp3 mask, fitted correctly on the face of someone with covid could, in certain circumstances like enclosed spaces, reduce the chance of that person passing on the virus. That is miles away from slapping on any old bit of cloth bought online to walk around a big and empty supermarket at 7am, or going from a nightclub dance floor to the bog. 

"Mask-wearing is the single most effective public health measure at tackling Covid, according to the first global study of its kind, which found that the measure was linked to a 53% fall in the incidence of the disease."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/17/wearing-masks-single-most-effective-way-to-tackle-covid-study-finds

Any old bit of cloth can stop an aerosol, bud.

14 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I would quite happily scrap every restriction today. However, lots of people are comparing restrictions in many European countries to the fact that in Scotland wearing a mask for short periods and scanning a barcode at certain events has a minimal impact on them and thinking 'this is pretty good'. I think that's a reasonable opinion to hold.

The problem people have is that, far from trying to confidently lead the country forward by saying something along the lines of

"Yes I note the current wave across europe, and member states' reaction to it, but opening up in summer means our position should be much better.

Unlike Europe, our hospital numbers are falling steadily.

I obviously can't rule out the future need for introducing further restrictions, but right now I don't see any reason to."

We should be talking about the prospect of binning the remaining restrictions, but instead we get the constant threat of additional restrictions "because we just don't know"

It's pish. I don't believe she actively wants to impose restrictions, but she's definitely not comfortable at being way down the caring scale at the moment.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

The problem people have is that, far from trying to confidently lead the country forward by saying something along the lines of

"Yes I note the current wave across europe, and member states' reaction to it, but opening up in summer means our position should be much better.

Unlike Europe, our hospital numbers are falling steadily.

I obviously can't rule out the future need for introducing further restrictions, but right now I don't see any reason to."

We should be talking about the prospect of binning the remaining restrictions, but instead we get the constant threat of additional restrictions "because we just don't know"

It's pish. I don't believe she actively wants to impose restrictions, but she's definitely not comfortable at being way down the caring scale at the moment.

It may seem unlikely hospital numbers will rise massively but it is possibly. It may (however unlikely) be needed to toughen restrictions at some point if things got bad so a leader completely ruling it out would be crazy.

Everything I say/write is from someone who has not suffered any loss or mental impact from covid so I'm fairly relaxed about it all. Looking at today's news, there are people going nuts when nothing has happened. Seems a bit strange to me

17 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

"Mask-wearing is the single most effective public health measure at tackling Covid, according to the first global study of its kind, which found that the measure was linked to a 53% fall in the incidence of the disease."

The latest episode of the More or Less podcast from the BBC was very critical of that study.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0b7zzdr

I think they said other studies that had better controls etc found the reduction was around the 20%-ish mark (can't remember the exact figure).

It's worth a listen.

2 minutes ago, NorthernLights said:

The latest episode of the More or Less podcast from the BBC was very critical of that study.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0b7zzdr

I think they said other studies that had better controls etc found the reduction was around the 20%-ish mark (can't remember the exact figure).

It's worth a listen.

"The researchers reported that fabric face masks “blocked between 62.6% and 87.1% of fine particles, whereas surgical masks protected against an average of 78.2% of fine particles. N95 masks blocked 99.6% of fine particles.”"

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n432

I've got loads of others, mate. Masks work.

9 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It may seem unlikely hospital numbers will rise massively but it is possibly. It may (however unlikely) be needed to toughen restrictions at some point if things got bad so a leader completely ruling it out would be crazy.

Everything I say/write is from someone who has not suffered any loss or mental impact from covid so I'm fairly relaxed about it all. Looking at today's news, there are people going nuts when nothing has happened. Seems a bit strange to me

Things have changed, though. The language has changed, the tone has changed, and the focus is moving much more towards transmissibility and cases, with seemingly no consideration given to the severity.

NS has esssntially asked all those who had employees working from home in April 2020 to make them do so again.

It's a big step back, it's unwarranted, and it sets a shite precedent for the next variant.

The normalisation of Government interference in people's lives is ridiculous.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Pish! I used to use cloth to buzz aer…
Nvm as you were