Coronavirus (COVID-19)

13 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

So did lockdown cause needless deaths, or did minimum pricing not work in the circumstances?

Those with problematical alcohol habits drank more under lockdown.  In general, Scots drank less overall in 2020 and the number of additional deaths (about 100) is nothing compared to the outcome of allowing the virus a free reign.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Vaccines certainly work.

But unless you are capable of discussing fluid dynamics, I'm not interested in what you have been told by others to think about whether masks work or not

"The available evidence suggests that near-universal adoption of nonmedical masks when out in public, in combination with complementary public health measures, could successfully reduce Re to below 1, thereby reducing community spread if such measures are sustained."

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

The ability to read is all that's required.

2 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

I'm not discussing anything, I'm posting definitive proof that masks work.

It isn’t definitive proof.  Controlled trials are definitive proof.   There are loads of ifs, buts and maybes in that piece.  It’s lumping mask wearing in with social distancing and not saying definitively that mask wearing works.

Its the same as any other article published on masks.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It isn’t definitive proof.  Controlled trials are definitive proof.   There are loads of ifs, buts and maybes in that piece.  It’s lumping mask wearing in with social distancing and not saying definitively that mask wearing works.

Its the same as any other article published on masks.

The paper cites many controlled trials.  HTH.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That article is not "definitive proof" of anything and I'm not wasting my time trying to explain to a non-scientist what the issues are with that review paper you posted a link to because we've been through that on the thread before.

I'm not convinced you could get through a Beano, mate, but here's another one you can chew on.

"Compelling data now demonstrate that community mask wearing is an effective nonpharmacologic intervention to reduce the spread of this infection, especially as source control to prevent spread from infected persons, but also as protection to reduce wearers’ exposure to infection."

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776536

Masks work.

That is actually genuinely horrifying and is symptomatic of our problem in society.
We praise unquestioning compliance and obedience over anything else and we do it from a young age.
No wonder so many adults can't think critically for themselves.
Obedience in children is and always has been seen as a good positive trait. Not sure where your headed with that analogy. You want children chastised for doing as they are told ?

A 5 year old doing as they are told and following rules can in no way be seen as anything but good. I've seen kids the same age regularly telling their parents to f**k off, is that what you would prefer. At 5 years old they are highly unlikely (nor would it be seen as normal) to be an Oaky style anti masker yet you appear to be criticising a young child for simply doing what he is hearing should be done. You want a 5yo "freethinker" ???

Your most definitely becoming more and more obsessive.

Just now, oaksoft said:

Let me make one thing clear.

I couldn't give a f**k what you THINK I could or couldn't get read through.

I am not discussing masks with you becausde you clearly haven't got a bloody clue what you are talking about and that's the end of it.

You are not discussing masks becausde you are wrong and you know it.

I published my 40th academic journal paper a couple of weeks ago. Not ever would I point to one and call it definitive proof of anything. 

Evidence, interpretations, suggestions... And not all journals and publishers are alike. 

There was a paper on vaccines a while back that claimed that the vaccines killed 1 person for every 3 saved. It was utter bullshit. Garbag paper in a garbage journal. 

3 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

The paper cites many controlled trials.  HTH.

Not regarding Covid.  The article even states this.

Have you actually read it?

Overall, direct evidence of the efficacy of mask use is supportive, but inconclusive. Since there are no RCTs, only one observational trial, and unclear evidence from other respiratory illnesses, we will need to look at a wider body of evidence.”

Everything else in the article is supposition and guesswork.  Far from definitive proof.

My last words on this subject which has been debated many times before.