Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Willie's Tache doing his best for the 'contracting a winter bug is a moral outrage' crusade. Tragic.

Being exposed to respiratory illness is quite literally just another fact of the human experience. It's something you can't avoid, and indeed, keeping immune responses topped up is rather important.

Some people have been truly broken by these past two years. No hope for a recovery for them.

Some people are an utter fucking mess. One of my wife's colleagues for one hasn't been on a train in a little over 2 years now because of this, and has been mooching a lift of a friend to get anywhere of distance. 

Another is my father in law and his missus who have now refused to see any family over Christmas because apparently she has a low antibody count. 

Then on the flip side, you've got nutters running around talking about some fucking conspiracy because a few people have recently had public cardiac arrests. News flash, that happens more often than you fucking know it just wasn't reported previously!  Saw someone on my FB the other day saying that they didn't have vaccines as a child and they refuse to start now. No wonder he's turned into a gibbering fucking fool with as much brains as a baked potatoe. 

40 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

To all on this debate, i have a story
Back when i was a single man, i went on a tinder date and subsequently spent the night with a nurse who worked in intensive care, now I’m sure we don’t need to get into too many details but the main point of it all is; I was absolutely loaded with cold/ flu symptoms that day, which I informed her of and gave her the chance to KB me, she couldn’t have gave less of a shite, as did anybody else before all this hysterical pish last year
Go to the fuckin fitbaw if your well enough

If you’re going to come on here and tell us you scored a date with a nurse - we want, we deserve, we demand the details. 😜

35 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Some people are an utter fucking mess. One of my wife's colleagues for one hasn't been on a train in a little over 2 years now because of this, and has been mooching a lift of a friend to get anywhere of distance. 

Another is my father in law and his missus who have now refused to see any family over Christmas because apparently she has a low antibody count. 

Then on the flip side, you've got nutters running around talking about some fucking conspiracy because a few people have recently had public cardiac arrests. News flash, that happens more often than you fucking know it just wasn't reported previously!  Saw someone on my FB the other day saying that they didn't have vaccines as a child and they refuse to start now. No wonder he's turned into a gibbering fucking fool with as much brains as a baked potatoe. 

Image - 253159] | I Can Count to Potato | Know Your Meme

A lot of folk will be scared, cautious, concerned, worried, however you want to word it. Just as an example though, a mate of mine displayed all the worried, scared, concerned traits - not because of himself, but because one of his parents has cancer, both his parents are elderly. He was scared of maybe getting it and passing it on to them in the course of normal family life, and if they got it, it wouldn’t have likely just been the sniffles and a cough for a few days.

A lot of elderly folk will read the news, and talk about ‘deadly new African variant’ and suchlike could scare them shitless. I pass no judgement on those displaying ‘scared or ultra cautious’ behaviour. They could be in the same situation as my mate. My problem though is that anyone, absolutely anyone - genuinely worried or just a fcuking twat about it, can stay indoors, can wear a mask 24/7, can avoid trains, crowds, concerts or whatever, for eternity. If they choose. The rest of us though, by now, should not be subject to many of these government mandated laws and rules, many of which make as much sense as Jim Goodwin persisting with playing three at the back.

We should be free to make personal risk assessments about where we go, when, and why.

2 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

No, I'm saying you shouldn't need restrictions and rules to say don't go to a public event if you're not well and symptomatic. Same with going into the office and soldiering on if you've got the lurgy. People will hopefully grow out of that on their own. 

Put it this way, if you sit down next to  mecoughing your balls up at the football, i'll move.  If it's sold out (unlikely for Aberdeen right enough) and I can't move I'll do my best to get you moved. Folk want to be treated like adults and respected to use their common sense. Not going to the football when you are ill is that. I honestly don't see the issue here. 

Ffs! "Mr steward, there's a bad man coughing next to me, can you throw him out?"

Have a word man, your head is fucking gone

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Very interesting. Especially in tandem with the SG proclaiming the success of minimum unit pricing.

Just now, superbigal said:

Aye very dangerous on a tandem

image.jpeg

🤣🤣

It does raise a question, though. If, indeed, people are buying less alcohol because of MUP, why are more dying?

Are they buying more from online distribution channels and these are not counted accurately?

Did shutting down access to help to "save lives" have an impact?

It's obviously very hard to separate out what causes what.  Also, I don't think anyone is suggesting that a significant number of people were perfectly healthy in terms of alcohol pre-pandemic but then literally drank themselves to death during the lockdown.  There might be cases where that happened but they aren't going to account for anything in the overall picture.

Most of the deaths are from alcoholic liver disease which, I assume, takes a significant amount of drinking time to build up.  The biggest number of deaths are among people from the 55-64 age group suggesting that it's the result of decades worth of bevvying.  I'm sure it's possible people who were drinking at high levels and were at risk pre-pandemic started drinking a lot more during lockdown and that accelerated their decline.  

Edited by ICTChris

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It's obviously very hard to separate out what causes what.  Also, I don't think anyone is suggesting that a significant number of people were perfectly healthy in terms of alcohol pre-pandemic but then literally drank themselves to death during the lockdown.  There might be cases where that happened but they aren't going to account for anything in the overall picture.

No, but there will be those who were part of support groups etc who suddenly had that taken away from them whilst simultaneously being isolated, confined to their homes, and worrying about their jobs.

It's been well documented, but the mid to long term impact of our response to Covid will be huge. Many people will die who, with access to the correct help, would not have.

23 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

🤣🤣

It does raise a question, though. If, indeed, people are buying less alcohol because of MUP, why are more dying?

Are they buying more from online distribution channels and these are not counted accurately?

Did shutting down access to help to "save lives" have an impact?

Fewer people are buying any alcohol but drinkers are drinking as much or more.

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

So in other words, you haven't even considered when this should end.

That's probably because you're waiting on Nicola to tell you what to think.

Well it's a comforting fiction to say it will be all over by Christmas or some other magical date but that would be dishonest. Which is no doubt why you feel so drawn to the idea of populist and arbitrary lines in the sand.

Maybe if you washed your hands, wore your mask and generally did as you were told it will be over a bit sooner? Try a bit of that in between your rants about hand sanitiser and Hitler. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

For the umpeenmth time, nobody asked you for a date.

You have been asked for a set of circumstances under which you personally would want to see all restrictions removed.

You have no answer becvause you haven't thought it through.

I think you will find I did and that I have. But that doesn't give you the cozy feeling of it will all be over soon so you wail like a massive wean. 

Not so long ago Boris was being praised for removing all restrictions in the summer because doing so in winter would be mad. And yet here we are demanding all restrictions be removed in winter. Some discrepancies there methinks, perhaps you should have thought this through a bit more?

Also, how about St Swithens Day? That's a nice sounding day. 

Back from my booster appointment now. Showed up at Falkirk hospital a full 10 minutes before my appointment, just in time to join a big fucking queue. Waited for 40 minutes. Everyone in the queue had booked an appointment, so this is a failure of their booking system more than anything else. 

The wife was taken by a soldier (fnarr fnarr) and I was taken by a dentist. All pfizered up.

On the up side, I saw a police car chase down and stop an Audi in the middle of the town.