Coronavirus (COVID-19)

6 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I'm just surprised so many people seem to be stock piling fireworks for all occasions. 

It was a misunderstanding of the term “rocket up their arse” when the toilet roll shortage started.

23 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Thinking about the clapping again I think the thing it most reminds me of is the kind of person who harks back to the 2012 Olympics as some golden era, or sign a 38 degrees petition. It's so superficial. A 21st century hail mary. Clap clap clap right that's me done my bit.

Imagine if everyone who clapped also wrote to their elected representatives saying they're not voting for them next time if every key worker isn't wearing appropriate PPE next week?

You mean actually DO SOMETHING as opposed to indulging in tokenism.  Nah.

I got 102 likes on facebook thats far more important

Thinking about the clapping again I think the thing it most reminds me of is the kind of person who harks back to the 2012 Olympics as some golden era, or sign a 38 degrees petition. It's so superficial. A 21st century hail mary. Clap clap clap right that's me done my bit.

Imagine if everyone who clapped also wrote to their elected representatives saying they're not voting for them next time if every key worker isn't wearing appropriate PPE next week?

That’s a great idea, might put it on Facebook to see how many likes it gets.

8 hours ago, sparky88 said:

One of the biggest sources of the outbreak in Korea was a call centre. Amazed they weren't one of the first places to shut- and why can't you do that sort of job from home?

Aye right enough - they can just give Walt in Boston your home number. 

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I suspect that no matter if it was originally intended to show appreciation for NHS workers, in a lot of people's minds 'key' workers right now absolutely includes the lassie on the supermarket checkout, the bloke emptying the bins etc etc.

I don't tend to actively join in these things, but I don't see the need to mock people for doing it either. I've got friends in the street who have been self-isolating for nearly ten days now, so anything that makes them feel some sort of solidarity and mutual inclusion is totally understandable in my opinion. So what if they want to hang out of their window and clap for a minute or two with everyone else? Doesn't make an iota of difference to my life.

Who are they clapping though? Its mostly empty streets. It would be different if NHS staff were driving past in an open top bus or if the clappers were hanging around outside a hospital or surgery or even Tesco at 9am on sunday morning but standing at your doorstep aimlessly clapping nobody just confirms you as a brain dead nugget imho.

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

We're the 6th richest nation on earth and this is happening in hospitals all over the country cmon to f**k it's not about baby birds squawking for more worms even if they're full:

But is that because they can't be afforded or because money has been spent elsewhere?

No matter what you do there's always going to be choices to make on what to spend a budget on. 

All in favour of it being higher but even if we increased it by 10% we're never going to be able to fund what everyone wants. 

We're the 6th richest nation on earth and this is happening in hospitals all over the country cmon to f**k it's not about baby birds squawking for more worms even if they're full:

Fair point, but the UK is nowhere near the sixth richest country in the world.

17 minutes ago, Bairn Necessities said:

I'm certain that no amount of money will ever be considered enough by the NHS .

Not to say we shouldn't be spending more but I don't think any government,  would meet some people's 'adequate' criteria.

You're right, it's much better spending money bailing out billionaire shysters and crooks rather than ensuring our health service is fit for purpose.