Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I know this has probably been covered before in this thread and apologies that i am not going back through to find it. But in short, what has South Korea done differently that has seen their cases curve less than the rest of us? 

Extensive testing and isolating confirmed cases?

White people are doing the opposite. Testing no one, hitting the pub and expecting to blow over.

Posted earlier about the lack of PPE being provided by the Scottish Government to police and front line staff. The video posted before from Perth just shows, there are utter fannies with zero regard for anyone but themselves, walking around all over Scotland running up and spitting on cops telling them they have covid19 and just being an arsehole. My wife, a GP works in a surgery in Inverclyde, her practice had been begging for PPE and been sent rubbish, one of her colleagues has just been diagnosed with Covid, they had been isolating when not at work so as to minimise contact and has through lack of protection become infected. This was all flagged up to the health board, the local msp, the health secretary and f**k all done. Public sector workers will most likely die in the response to this virus, needlessly because the government and public bodies didnt do enough to prepare. In a developed country thats a fucking scandal. Im absolutely terrified for my wifes safety, but she wont stop out of a duty of care to her patients, despite her colleague being ill and still no proper equipment. Ive given up asking for it in my job. Scunnered.

17 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

... if all the countries in the table follow China’s pattern of the last week: there’s no reason to assume that they will though, given that entirely different measures were enforced at different times in their outbreak. The US in particular looks like carving a path all of its own.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

In more encouraging news, it's good that there's one very small positive out of the lockdown and it's that the planet seems to be healing itself somewhat. Venice being the most noticeable.

Totally unrelated but that in conjunction with the ozone layer being found to be repairing itself is encouraging too.

Tbf any respite the planet gets in the next few months will be undone when we expect growth to take off again and absolutely batter nature even more. Doesn't help that apocalyptic right wing ghouls are in charge nearly everywhere it matters.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No we're not?

ET_d-yeXgAEngrf.thumb.jpeg.ee111519f98a4283a788600a36fd42ac.jpeg

Italy and the UK have never plotted at the same point until now, we're crossing over their "curve" just now rather than following it. Closest curve for us seems to be China.

Lockdown done with less than half the deaths at the time Italy done it.

Spain obviously far worse.

The USA looks utterly fucked. 

A straight line on a log scale is exponential growth. The USA is plotting an exponential curve on a log scale. 

2 minutes ago, The Master said:

The USA looks utterly fucked. 

A straight line on a log scale is exponential growth. The USA is plotting an exponential curve on a log scale. 

Yup scary stuff in NYC right now.

I was contemplating the US earlier and wondering if the interior, being much more rural, might in some way be about the only thing that saves them from having an absolutely colossal death toll. I have relatives in NYC who are typical East Coast Dems, and are taking this entirely seriously, while a friend's Trump supporting redneck rellies live out in Buttphuque Idaho and are convinced it's all a big Commie hoax etc etc. 

It'll be interesting to see how Trump and the Federal Government's 'why the f**k are you asking us for help?' response plays out down the line if it's mostly Dem liberal leaning cities that get clobbered, and Cleetus and Mary-Jo-Sue-Ellen in the middle of nowhere are still rodeoing and gun clubbing away without a hint of bother.

I suspect that no matter if it was originally intended to show appreciation for NHS workers, in a lot of people's minds 'key' workers right now absolutely includes the lassie on the supermarket checkout, the bloke emptying the bins etc etc.

I don't tend to actively join in these things, but I don't see the need to mock people for doing it either. I've got friends in the street who have been self-isolating for nearly ten days now, so anything that makes them feel some sort of solidarity and mutual inclusion is totally understandable in my opinion. So what if they want to hang out of their window and clap for a minute or two with everyone else? Doesn't make an iota of difference to my life.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I know this has probably been covered before in this thread and apologies that i am not going back through to find it. But in short, what has South Korea done differently that has seen their cases curve less than the rest of us? 

Singapore have tested the most people per million closely followed by South Korea. Although, with a larger population, South Korea has tested more people. This along with contact tracing helps isolate clusters.

Add to that the South Korea and Singapore have closed their borders, means their citizens can carry on life as close to normality as possible. No lock downs.

This does kind of puzzle me, both these countries could do this as Singapore is an island and South Korea is a peninsular with one sealed border. On mainland Europe they probably had little choice of applying lockdowns, but the UK is also an island nation. Self isolation is one thing, but maybe isolating the country first would be an idea.

Guest JTS98

On the question of varying mortality rates, Malaysia's is quite low just now and JP Morgan seem to think it's all about testing and isolating and restricting movement.

Stands to reason that testing more people will give you a lower mortality rate, as the number of reported cases will be higher but the big thing about this report is the hope that this will help suppress the second wave of the virus.

Malaysia tests, isolates, has border controls, and has strongly enforced movement controls.

Need to wait and see, I suppose.

https://www.nst.com.my/business/2020/03/577996/jp-morgan-malaysias-covid-19-strategy-far-exceeds-asean-some-european-peers

Edited by JTS98

On the question of varying mortality rates, Malaysia's is quite low just now and JP Morgan seem to think it's all about testing and isolating and restricting movement.
Stands to reason that testing more people will give you a lower mortality rate, as the number of reported cases will be higher but the big thing about this report is the hope that this will help suppress the second wave of the virus.
Malaysia tests, isolates, has border controls, and has strongly enforced movement controls.
Need to wait and see, I suppose.
https://www.nst.com.my/business/2020/03/577996/jp-morgan-malaysias-covid-19-strategy-far-exceeds-asean-some-european-peers

You do realise that Malaysia is a tin pot country without the intelligence and ability to tackle and rise above such a problem? Surely this is all a mistake.

Guest JTS98
4 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

You do realise that Malaysia is a tin pot country without the intelligence and ability to tackle and rise above such a problem? Surely this is all a mistake.

And managing all this while apparently possessing not one qualified medical expert!

Guest JTS98

I'm actually entering an interesting phase of lockdown here, because after I finish work for today, in about five hours, I begin what is a holiday weekend in Malaysia. Not back 'at work' till Wednesday. So, four days in the flat not working. Lockdown or no lockdown, I refuse to work on days off.

I've got a plan to do quite a bit of language study and read a few books. Be interesting to see how an extended period inside with no work to do goes.

Bangkok is closing all restaurants and shopping malls, with immediate effect.  I take it the orders didn't take effect the first time they came out on 21st March....

We are Thai (did you know we have never been colonized) , we'll do what the f**k we want.  Until shots get fired.

Bangkok is closing all restaurants and shopping malls, with immediate effect.  I take it the orders didn't take effect the first time they came out on 21st March....
We are Thai (did you know we have never been colonized) , we'll do what the f**k we want.  Until shots get fired.

Never colonised always gives me a chuckle. Go toe to toe with Japan. When Japan invade, strike a deal within 5 hours. 'mon the Death railway!

2 minutes ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Never colonised always gives me a chuckle. Go toe to toe with Japan. When Japan invade, strike a deal within 5 hours. 'mon the Death railway!

Hey you, that's a low blow.  

More Thais died building that railway than any other nation, the forgotten people.

8 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

Like I said previously, why would you not try to minimise tax liability if you have the chance?

My team: Dundee

In all seriousness, my partner also works for the NHS and her attitude to the applause was also along the lines of it’s all well and good for people to show their appreciation but she’d give much more of a f**k about actually having proper PPE while at work.