Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The Australian Army are now removing indigenous people from their homes based on testing waste water. If your toilet runs off to a place where Covid is discovered then it's internment time. 

The communities currently being impacted by this have been fighting a years long battle against fracking....

Where are you getting this from? Found this and there's no mention of internment camps.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-21/nt-explainer-on-new-cases-in-binjari-and-rockhole/100638192

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Listening to these freaks going on about the likes of "test everybody coming for Christmas dinner" shows, for me, that they are so engrossed with Covid that they are completely detached from reality.

Oft. 

4 minutes ago, Eednud said:

So one Twitter account is posting that they are having a ball in the camp?

Why are they removing non infected healthy people who live in the middle of nowhere to army camps? Would you accept that here?

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

So one Twitter account is posting that they are having a ball in the camp?

Why are they removing non infected healthy people who live in the middle of nowhere to army camps? Would you accept that here?

That article reads like the sort of state propaganda that would put North Korea to shame.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Howard Springs is the internment camp. 

They'll be sharing the "internment camp" with other Aussies voluntarily returning from abroad into Darwin, doing managed isolation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/australia-darwin-covid-quarantine/2021/05/21/f72bc0ac-ad1b-11eb-82c1-896aca955bb9_story.html

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It fits in with the fascist face state governor being in the pocket of the energy companies like every other Oz politician.

The ALP (Australian Labor Party) is in power in the Northern TERRITORY as they are in the states of Western Australia, Queensland and Victoria and also the ACT.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They'll be sharing the "internment camp" with other Aussies voluntarily returning from abroad into Darwin, doing managed isolation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/australia-darwin-covid-quarantine/2021/05/21/f72bc0ac-ad1b-11eb-82c1-896aca955bb9_story.html

Don't be a dick, they are removing close contacts and forcing them into quarantine facilities.  Can you imagine the outrage if this happened here for close contacts?  It would have meant that last Christmas I would have been in a quarantine facility.  

Trying to pass this off as equivalent to people returning to Oz who knew that would be restricting their liberty is laughable.

27 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It fits in with the fascist face state governor being in the pocket of the energy companies like every other Oz politician.

Yet they can't all agree on the same global conspiracy. Sad!

24 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Oft. 

Devi getting absolutely rinsed by the pub landlord. If the University of Edinburgh had any self-respect she'd have been fired out of Mons Meg long before now.

1 hour ago, sparky88 said:

The idea that the virus will somehow mutate into a supervirus killer is simply daft. A virus mutates to make itself more transmissable but also less deadly as a result- exactly what has happened with Delta. We essentially want the virus to mutate

A virus doesn't mutate to make itself more transmissible - with the aim of becoming more transmissible - it just has random mutations. 

Some of those mutations will make it more transmissible, some less transmissible, others will have no effect on transmissibility.  The ones that make it more transmissible tend to become more prevalent because they out-compete the other strains - but that doesn't mean that's the only way the mutations can go or that the virus is doing that deliberately.

Mutations can also make the virus more deadly, less deadly, or just as deadly.  There's no reason to think that a given mutation, even if it makes the virus more transmissible, will have any particular effect on how deadly it is.

As it happens, the Delta variant is both more transmissible AND more deadly than the original strain.  In addition, the vaccines are less effective against it, since they were developed against the original strain.

I agree we want the virus to mutate, but only if it mutates in a particular direction: slightly more transmissible and much less deadly.  If we were to get such a variant, it would eventually replace Delta to become the dominant strain, but make symptoms much milder and hospitalisations and deaths much less common.  

1 minute ago, strichener said:

Don't be a dick, they are removing close contacts and forcing them into quarantine facilities.  Can you imagine the outrage if this happened here for close contacts?  It would have meant that last Christmas I would have been in a quarantine facility.  

Trying to pass this off as equivalent to people returning to Oz who knew that would be restricting their liberty is laughable.

It's literally the same place, and it's only for a fortnight. If they don't have anywhere else they can self isolate it doesn't sound like the Boer War concentration camps to me.

2 minutes ago, Gnash said:

A virus doesn't mutate to make itself more transmissible - with the aim of becoming more transmissible - it just has random mutations. 

Some of those mutations will make it more transmissible, some less transmissible, others will have no effect on transmissibility.  The ones that make it more transmissible tend to become more prevalent because they out-compete the other strains - but that doesn't mean that's the only way the mutations can go or that the virus is doing that deliberately.

Mutations can also make the virus more deadly, less deadly, or just as deadly.  There's no reason to think that a given mutation, even if it makes the virus more transmissible, will have any particular effect on how deadly it is.

As it happens, the Delta variant is both more transmissible AND more deadly than the original strain.  In addition, the vaccines are less effective against it, since they were developed against the original strain.

I agree we want the virus to mutate, but only if it mutates in a particular direction: slightly more transmissible and much less deadly.  If we were to get such a variant, it would eventually replace Delta to become the dominant strain, but make symptoms much milder and hospitalisations and deaths much less common.  

Pretty sure this is debatable. Margin for error stuff.

1 hour ago, Tommy Carcetti said:

Looking forward to sceaming at my 89 year old Nana from the window not to take any step closer as she comes down the garden path on Xmas day, before rushing out in full PPE kit to stick a swab down her throat before she sits down to dinner.

"You can't be too careful nana" I tell her as I refuse her a sherry because she's not got a vaccine passport.

9B5F7C40-3BE8-4BD2-B210-F745F6BC7FDC.gif

Meeting in the university Senate today and we discussed upping the number of students in class. The Principal was very, very critical of the Scot Gov and their handling of it. He is pushing for 90% attendance (why not 100% I don't know). The unions are pushing back on that. 

It's literally the same place, and it's only for a fortnight. If they don't have anywhere else they can self isolate it doesn't sound like the Boer War concentration camps to me.
You'd literally roll over and do whatever any government told you to do without question, quite sad really.

16 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It's genuinely horrifying that we have people in the world who think like you do.

13 minutes ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You'd literally roll over and do whatever any government told you to do without question, quite sad really.

I just don't happen to believe they're rounding up Aboriginals and sticking them in an internment camp because they oppose fracking.

Edited by welshbairn

As recently as the 1970s the Australian government were forcibly taking Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children from their parents and placing them in care, the so called "Stolen Generation". My friend's mum was one such child and as such has absolutely no idea what her heritage is. People from both backgrounds are still widely discriminated against in Australia and in some cases still lack the same legal right as the European immigrant population.

Therefore I think it's entirely reasonable to be concerned about the Australian government's intentions here, or at the very least to believe that more care should be shown in dealing with such populations.