Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I don't understand their stance on further restricting adults because children are passing it about like wildfire.

Yeah I hear you. Just if the JCVI had already signed off children being vaccinated we’d likely not even be talking about the possibility of these restrictions due to cases.

This is the golden ticket the SG need to justify additional measures.

6 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

They had 5 people in hospital with Covid and one in ICU on Nov 12th, and one death back in October, the last figures I can find. This suggests that vaccination is working extremely well wouldn't you say?

24 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I have a certain amount of sympathy for the position the government are in here as regards schools.

Children absolutely should be schooled in person, but that the JCVI have not approved the vaccine for their age group, which would address the rate of infection, is something completely out of the governments control.

Governments across the UK don't have to do what the JCVI recommends.  In the main they will follow JCVI advice but even during this pandemic it hasn't been the case.  I can't remember which cohort it was (one of the under 18 cohorts) but the JCVI didn't make a recommendation to vaccinate them.  All the UK governments went ahead and did it anyway.  I think the JCVI then later changed their stance and recommended that cohort get vaccinated.

31 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

I have a certain amount of sympathy for the position the government are in here as regards schools.

Children absolutely should be schooled in person, but that the JCVI have not approved the vaccine for their age group, which would address the rate of infection, is something completely out of the governments control.

If children can be schooled in person, then there is clearly no urgent public health crisis that justifies hopelessly ineffective restrictions on everyone else. 

If there is a public health crisis, then the most effective restriction by far in addressing the issue is to end schooling in person. As Devi Sridhar's latest pet case of South Korea demonstrates as well.

Anything other than adopting one of those two positions is illogical nonsense from a public health point of view. 

Edited by vikingTON

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

If children can be schooled in person, then there is clearly no urgent public health crisis that justifies hopelessly ineffective restrictions on everyone else. 

Agreed. And that’s my main gripe with using their stats as the reasoning.

Just get them vaccinated and this argument disappears.

Yeah I hear you. Just if the JCVI had already signed off children being vaccinated we’d likely not even be talking about the possibility of these restrictions due to cases.
This is the golden ticket the SG need to justify additional measures.
If they're not signing off on children being vaccinated it's because they obviously have reservations about it it's not really just a case of ticking a box and signing it off.

1 minute ago, AlbionSaint said:

It has a population of 33k, so is that especially good? I honestly don't know. As I have previously stated, I don't know one person who has died of Covid.

Adjusted for population, that would be the equivalent of 826 in hospital and 165 in ICU here.

We have 750 in hospital and 59 in ICU.

Another L for Welshy.

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:
35 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

If they're not signing off on children being vaccinated it's because they obviously have reservations about it it's not really just a case of ticking a box and signing it off.

Well weighing up school closures as the only alternative would help clear up those reservations and concern one way or the other. While the rest of us get on with our lives without their safety theatre. 

3 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

It has a population of 33k, so is that especially good? I honestly don't know. As I have previously stated, I don't know one person who has died of Covid.

Given that they had 94 deaths up until the end of March and 4 since, I'd say that suggests that the vaccination programme is doing a good job.

Just before ScotGov get rolling.

To confirm the rolling 7 day cases per 100K figure in Scotland (3 Day lag to keep data accurate) is down for the 5th day out of the last 6 reported.

Not huge drops but consistent none the less and over 4% down in total in that period.

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

What roaster was going on the other day about comparing deaths in places like France to the UK?

I think that straight line might be drawn on. A bit like Trump's hurricane path.

Here's the actual graph.

image.png.9a4a4b72a8c7de38779e0bd6210f3aea.png

United Kingdom: Coronavirus Pandemic Country Profile - Our World in Data

You can check it out yourself.

Edited by Suspect Device

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Adjusted for population, that would be the equivalent of 826 in hospital and 165 in ICU here.

We have 750 in hospital and 59 in ICU.

Another L for Welshy.

Where did I suggest they were doing better than us? I was responding to the claim that vaccines weren't working.

Edited by welshbairn

5 minutes ago, AlbionSaint said:

Or the virus killed off the especially vulnerable early on....

Yeah. 94 there is equivalent to 15,500 here. 8 months later we have 9,500

Welshy really isn't making as strong a point as he thinks he is here. Not like him.