Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Hospitalisations, patients in ICU, and death rates all at their lowest level since early September.

And yet we all know what is coming tomorrow. bQshDtu.png

Yes, but it should help get our numbers in line with the likes of Ireland and Belgium. 😛. Only joking. Hopefully if it does happen, they have thoroughly weighed up the benefits versus the negative impact before introducing this, and it does whatever they are trying to do - reduce cases I assume. I just feel that this could be more damaging in terms of people's livelihoods without a decent 'return' in health outcome, and hope it isn't a case of trying something for the sake of it. However, I'm sure this has been extensively researched by those responsible for the implementation. 🤨.  See what happens tomorrow.

I have long enjoyed laughing at the cult of Unionism in this country, but support remaining strong for the SNP if they so casually shovel folks livlihoods into the fire would leave me questioning which is worse between retention of said Union, or the neccessary years of SNP rule to successfully dissolve it.

The question of which cult of supporters are the worstcunts in that scenario would suddenly become hard to answer too.

Vaccine passports will never be anything other than a complete and utter disgrace.
There are a lot of people holding their noses and voting for the SNP not out of any enthusiasm but because they are the only realistic option of getting independence.

There's also the reality that on the key decisions regards restrictions most mainstream parties have been in agreement.

It is absolutely reasonable to establish what the benchmark for acceptable levels of an endemic disease is. In the same way that we have a benchmark for flu to establish what counts as a 'good' year and what is a 'bad' year in terms of outcomes. 
That's how a rational approach to managing public health works champ. As opposed to weepy nonsense about one of many, many illnesses which only leads to a massive squandering of resources and undesirable knock-on effects down the line. 
It might be rational but it is also political suicide to say there is an acceptable level of deaths.

The easy way round that though is to focus on hospitalisation figures and not the number of infections. If hospitalisation figures are falling then there is no issue.

This sounds like commonsense but the reality is the dispersal time of the nanoparticles of water in the air on which covid travels is going to be so long that if someone infected sneezes in any room (ventilated or otherwise), everyone is getting a dose. The reason viruses tend not to spread outdoors is because they can disperse almost immediately.
The very people telling us to open windows were the same people telling us that covid only travelled on large droplets which don't hang in the air anyway but drop to the ground within 2 metres. That's why they had us washing surfaces, wearing masks and washing our hands like OCD freaks for well over a year now.
It's almost as though these scientists haven't a fucking clue what they are talking about.
As predicted by many of the main players on here 18 months ago. [emoji1787]
The whole point of mask-wearing was that we still have a significant number of clatty b*****ds who don't cover their mouthed when they cough or sneeze. Early on in the pandemic there was possibly a benefit - now - no.

Mask-wearing was utterly pointless as soon as you had self-diagnosed exemptions for the hypochondriacs and eh've got asthma crowd.

Introduced too late.

Introduced badly.

Removed too late or still ongoing when they are utterly pointless.

Given that we are all going to die at some point is there any logic to devoting so much NHS capacity to one particular illness to the exclusion and detriment of so many others?

Heart attack, stroke, cancer, hit by a bus, Covid...... maybe different routes we're all going to end up  the same and to be honest i'd rather make the most of what's left than sitting about the house waiting for the next round of half baked restrictions to be announced. 

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It might be rational but it is also political suicide to say there is an acceptable level of deaths.

The easy way round that though is to focus on hospitalisation figures and not the number of infections. If hospitalisation figures are falling then there is no issue.

only if people are still hysterical about it, death is an absolute certainty for everyone , the truth is that the covid genie simply is not going to ever go back in the bottle, it's here to stay, and kill people for the rest of time. the people who will die of it from now on, would have died of something similar sooner or later

You dont neccessarily have to say it.

But if you are using deaths to justify wild restrictions on day to day life or the threatening of even more of them, id say you need to start thinking about, dare I say it..... An adult conversation.

No one is disputing the pressure on the NHS, but im sick of the veiled threats.

I was never willing to be locked down before to ease pressure on NHS and covid is now at a point where I am not willing to for that either.

UK Government doing bits.

Posted at 14:47

UK could be first to transition out of pandemic - Zahawi

2219dcce-5ae0-468f-93b6-7c0c3d195862.jpg

Copyright: Getty Images

Widespread adoption of vaccines could allow the UK to become the first country to exit the coronavirus pandemic, a senior government minister has said.

Education Secretary Na***** Zahawi tells LBC that a combination of natural immunity and the UK's high vaccination rate could allow the country to transition into a post coronavirus world before other countries.

"Our four-step plan meant that we were able to open up the economy in the summer. Some said it was a mistake - I think it was absolutely the right thing to do," former vaccines minister Zahawi says.

“We will probably, I hope, without being complacent, be the first major economy in the world to demonstrate how you transition [from] pandemic to endemic using vaccines."

A disease like Covid-19 becomes endemic when the virus becomes ever-present, but does not pose a societal threat.

Posted at 15:01

England to review travel rules in January - minister

d8b64db4-a192-4bbc-b51d-95b44d595d4c.jpg

Copyright: PA Media

England's rules for international travel will be reviewed in January, the aviation minister says.

Robert Courts says he wants the aviation industry to "bounce back" from the pandemic.

Travel rules were eased last month but fully vaccinated travellers continue to be required to pay for a test and fill out a passenger locator form when they enter the UK.

Speaking at the Airlines 2021 conference, Courts says: "We all want to reduce not just testing but all the restrictive measures."

Willie Walsh, the former boss of British Airways' parent company IAG, then tells the summit: "I think we've had overly restrictive measures in place in the UK for far too long, and that's definitely slowed down the recovery."