Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

All these self righteous arseholes like Pagel, Leitch, Devi etc all think they are special and anyone who criticises them is a ‘troll’ etc. Absolutely sickens me. You see signs on restaurants and shops they say ‘please do not enter if you have symptoms of covid 19’ they dont say ‘please enter if you’re a lovejoy scientist with self professed mild covid symptoms but it doesnt matter because you’re really special’. I just dont understand why these people think rules shouldnt apply to them. 

Good to see she's getting torn to shreds, despite turning off her replies, by the real scientists/normal people. Just epic that she thinks infection is basically a punishment for carelessness or moral failure. A mind completely warped by Covid. 

Just can't get over that Pagel thread. Really does hit home how out of touch these people are.

Her and her husband have locked themselves away for 20 months, in the only life you get, only for them both to get it, and for it to be a runny nose and some sore joints for a few days. Fucking brilliant. 

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Radio Scotland phone in is about the lockdowns/tightening restrictions in parts of Europe. 

The 'let's pretend Covid isn't there/doesn't matter any more' lot can lock the door and get the lube and Kleenex out. 

^^^ idiot found

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Well no because that would be linguistics, not science.

I don't think ignorance of the gender of foreign language words is particularly relevant to linguistics.  Even if that were the case linguistics, like most areas of study, is a branch of science. If we're discussing 'proper' science, I'm sure you'll agree that the ability to distinguish gender is an important element of biology without which life would be very complicated.

27 minutes ago, Elixir said:

^^^ idiot found

Did you listen to the programme? I was particularly impressed by the "untested vaccine" woman and the report about Austria (I think, but not sure) where the leader of the protests appears to be a vaccine sceptic who instead prefers some kind of de-worming treatment. 

If I'm an idiot, what are these folk? 

Still, takes all sorts. 

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Did you listen to the programme? I was particularly impressed by the "untested vaccine" woman and the report about Austria (I think, but not sure) where the leader of the protests appears to be a vaccine sceptic who instead prefers some kind of de-worming treatment. 

If I'm an idiot, what are these folk? 

Still, takes all sorts. 

Anti-vaxxers are imbeciles. So are people who don't understand why the UK is in a much better position than the rest of Europe. That doesn't mean Covid isn't an issue. It doesn't mean we need to go about curtailing civil liberties again and going down an authoritarian rabbit hole either.

South Korea’s schools will resume full in-person classes for the first time since the pandemic began on Monday.

Can't help but wonder why Devi Sridhar didn't mention this in her lecture last week about what lessons the UK could learn from South Korea's pandemic response. Can't lose the full time mummy constituency ahead of your book launch! 

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, Elixir said:

Anti-vaxxers are imbeciles. So are people who don't understand why the UK is in a much better position than the rest of Europe. That doesn't mean Covid isn't an issue. It doesn't mean we need to go about curtailing civil liberties again and going down an authoritarian rabbit hole either.

The folk I was referring to in my earlier post are the kinds of folk who revel in criticism of actions taken by governments that are trying to get the general health of their populations back to something approaching normality.  We've eff all hope of getting hospitals back to their pre-Covid levels (which weren't great in the first place) if folk rebel against simple, basic health measures to try to prevent the spread.  I follow the advice for the same reason that I don't go around licking door handles. 

15 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

The folk I was referring to in my earlier post are the kinds of folk who revel in criticism of actions taken by governments that are trying to get the general health of their populations back to something approaching normality.  We've eff all hope of getting hospitals back to their pre-Covid levels (which weren't great in the first place) if folk rebel against simple, basic health measures to try to prevent the spread.  I follow the advice for the same reason that I don't go around licking door handles. 

A lockdown, which is what people in Austria are 'rebelling' against, isn't a 'simple, basic measure' though. Its a really major thing which has a huge impact on people's lives. The idea that even questioning whether that is the right path to go down automatically makes someone an idiot or an antivaxer, is nonsense.

We're at a point in this pandemic where we should be able to look at restrictions such as vaccine passports or returning to lockdown and at least acknowledge that they aren't easy, downside free interventions and weigh up whether they are the correct choice. That's not the same thing as denying that vaccines work or 'licking door handles'. 

1 hour ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Living like normal human beings will probably help, then.

In case any of the main players are wondering what happened to the plan to show "in hospital with covid"/"in hospital because of covid" breakdown stats as was mentioned a fair few weeks ago, the response from my MSP:

"No, I am afraid I have no information on this other than what Nicola Sturgeon has said.  We are due a CoViD statement tomorrow and the CoViD Committee meets each Thursday, so we can see if something is mentioned then.

I will aim to keep an eye on this and feedback to you if I hear anything."

2 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I don't think ignorance of the gender of foreign language words is particularly relevant to linguistics.  Even if that were the case linguistics, like most areas of study, is a branch of science. If we're discussing 'proper' science, I'm sure you'll agree that the ability to distinguish gender is an important element of biology without which life would be very complicated.

What on earth has this got to do with Corona Virus (Covid 19)?:1eye

Pinged last night as a close contact of someone with Covid.  Fucking shite.  Had a PCR this morning and they gave me some LFT kits.  Took one when I got home and it was negative.

12 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

It'll need to be some other time.

Just had my Pfizer booster jag and my flu jab and now I need a wee cup of tea with my cake to recover.

aha just had the very same an hour ago (without the tea and cake)  Felt shocking after first AZ jag then fine after second so hoping for no great reaction to the two I got this afternoon.

Weekly Cases Update

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 13th to 19th November  were 20,999 to 20,631 Down 1.75%, Positivity was 9.9% now 9.6%.  Cases per 100K were 384.2 now 377.4

So very interesting with more sanctions threatened tomorrow that overall we appear to have peaked and possibly on a small downwards trajectory.  Oddly when you drill down many parts of the country are either up 20% or down 20% !!  The big 4 cities are all on an upwards curve albeit from the foot of the table.

Compared to the rest of the UK we are in a much better place again. The other nations  up circa 20% for the week.

Home Nations Weekly Cases  per 100K update  :  UK Average  354.6 to 418.3 Up 17.96%, England  342.3 to 409.5 Up 19.63%, Wales 479.1 to 536.5 Up 11.98%, Northern Ireland 468.3 to 581.2 up 24.11%

Cases in Europe in terms of increase in last week. A whole load of new countries joining the acceleration. France up 81%, Finland up 66%, Netherlands up 56%, Portugal up 49%, Switzerland up 47%.

In terms of numbers per 100K  Slovenia 1085, Austria 1069, Czech 975, Slovakia 916, Netherlands 857, Croatia 778, Belgium 752, Hungary 610, Ireland 609,  all over 600.

Council progress in last week as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Falkirk  521.3 to 536.2  Up 5 places to top of the table

Moray   543.3 to 534.9 

Dumfries & Galloway   551.6 to 532.1  

Stirling 456.0 to 521.9 Big mover up 15%

Aberdeen City  407.8 to 492.4  Huge mover up over 20%

Angus   534.5 to 491.3

Shetland Islands   266.7 to 489.7  Up as Orkney & Western Isles drop

Clackmannanshire  622.0 to 475.7  Down well over 23%

East Lothian  367.9 to 471.7  Come from nowhere up near 30%

Fife  434.9 to 455.5  

East Dunbartonshire  474.5 to 438.6  

East Ayrshire  505.8 to 400.5  Down over 20%

West Dunbartonshire 328.3 to 395.1  Up over 20%

North Lanarkshire   399.2 to 389.0

East Renfrewshire  382.1 to 386.2

Highlands 480.4 to 382.7   Down over 20%

Argyll & Bute  417.9 to 386.1 

BELOW AVERAGE 

South Ayrshire  405.7 to 377.2 

Perth & Kinross  456.8 to 352.2  Down well over 20%

West Lothian  363.9 to 350.9  

Inverclyde   401.0 to 350.4

Scottish  Borders   389.6 to 347.1 

Aberdeenshire   345.5 to 343.6 

Dundee City  289.6 to 342.0 

South Lanarkshire  391.8 to 341.6  

City Of Edinburgh  278.2 to 317.1 

Midlothian   330.6 to 306.0

North Ayrshire  343.4 to 292.7 

Renfrewshire 320.5 to 288.8  

Glasgow City 239.0 to 264.9

Orkney Islands   638.4 to 223.2  I suppose this shows how infections can be contained in small communities

Western Isles   400.0 to 143.4  Same comments as Orkney