Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 hours ago, Ross. said:

Irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the Scottish Governments approach, and I would say they have got much more wrong than right on this topic, you can’t really criticise them for having to work within the confines of the political system they are part of. You lot shat it in 2014 and the result is that they can’t really do anything too different from London because London controls the purse strings.

As for it being a masterstroke, I’m more inclined to believe it’s the old “broken clock being right twice a day” thing kicking in.

What a relief this diddy mob don't control the purse strings, or things would have been dragged out even longer than they were.

Meanwhile, test and trace is being jettisoned into the sea. Pleasing. Another bit of theatre the Scottish Government will be forced to give up, though I'm sure there will be some pretend mewling over it.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

The truth is that the UK and Scottish governments have moved pretty much in lockstep through the whole pandemic, with some relatively trivial restrictions kept in place slightly longer here and some slightly different messaging in place. Who remembers the controversy about the ‘stay alert’ messaging last year, which had our own FM taking to Twitter to decry only to then rely on the utterly baffling “Remember FACTS” for months afterwards.

Err, the reason for the Scottish Government always moving three weeks after the UK Government is so they could appear more care-y, and because they couldn't be seen to keep people here locked up while they weren't across the border. It's nothing more complicated than that.

As for 'trivial' face masks and vaxx passports we'll have to endure all winter - deary me. By the time they finally relinquish control up here it will probably have been a full 9-10 months that England never had to, with zero benefit to the people of Scotland. Not safety, just theatre, entrenched fear and creating needless hardship for businesses.

By the time Tuesday comes it will probably have been a week of cases falling, on top of hospitalisations and deaths continuing to fall. Measures should actually be getting rolled back. Yet you already know despite this, the scandalous 'paper' they rushed out on a Friday afternoon, and the heinously bald, speccy tube's own words, that the decision to intrude further on our lives has already been made. Depressing and infuriating.

Remember though, folks: the Simps call that 'moonhowling'.

2 minutes ago, Elixir said:

What a relief this diddy mob don't control the purse strings, or things would have been dragged out even longer than they were.

Meanwhile, test and trace is being jettisoned into the sea. Pleasing. Another bit of theatre the Scottish Government will be forced to give up, though I'm sure there will be some pretend mewling over it.

I don’t know that it would have made a significant difference to what action was taken. The land border and connections with England would have meant having to create policy with one eye firmly on what they were doing anyway. It would however have helped in terms of having certainty on what could be done with furlough and given far more leeway with compensating businesses who have and will lose out due to policy decisions.

The continued refusal to acknowledge that schools are quite clearly having a huge impact on transmission and instead targeting areas that have far less of an impact would likely still have happened mind you. There has been some catastrophically bad decision making made over the last 18 months.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

One hand is firmly held by Westminster, but the Scottish government have done their best to make the worst of a bad hand.

I think if Scotland was independent it would have done more or less what Ireland has done.

I think it’s unlikely we’d be where mainland Europe is now. The land border would have seen transmission of the delta variant in far higher numbers. We’d maybe have had lower rates until now, but probably higher than the rest of Europe meaning a lower pick up and peak at this point in time.

Its difficult to think about, but would I vote for independence now unless there was a clear sign the SNP would fracture? But also i despise the Tories so its very conflicting. 
If we were independent the SNP absolutely would have restrictions until the end of time, just incase.

I still think on the balance id vote yes for indy, but id be completely against the absolute muppets in the snp’s ‘promise everyone everything and never deliver on it’ strategy room, having any kind of long term influence. A decent centrist indy opposition would beat those muppets. 

18 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I don’t know that it would have made a significant difference to what action was taken. The land border and connections with England would have meant having to create policy with one eye firmly on what they were doing anyway. I

And yet the Scottish government "banned" travel to Manchester.

Coming back to your earlier post stating that the government had been dealt a bad hand - Their decisions over exams, releasing from hospital to care homes, vaccine passports, travel bans and waiting until the UK announced things before making some adjustments to appear to be doing things differently.  Track and trace v test and protect.  Facts v Hands, face, space.  Planting confusion rather than getting across a single message.  Who can even remember what FACTS actually stood for.  How about the grown up conversation that was going to take place?  Or the having a different set of rules on travel etc etc.  I could go on bit you get the general message. 

ETA: just read your post again and I am not sure if you purposely stated the "worst" of a bad hand or if it was a Freudian slip.

Edited by strichener

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

And yet the Scottish government "banned" travel to Manchester.

Coming back to your earlier post stating that the government had been dealt a bad hand - Their decisions over exams, releasing from hospital to care homes, vaccine passports, travel bans and waiting until the UK announced things before making some adjustments to appear to be doing things differently.  Track and trace v test and protect.  Facts v Hands, face, space.  Planting confusion rather than getting across a single message.  Who can even remember what FACTS actually stood for.  How about the grown up conversation that was going to take place?  Or the having a different set of rules on travel etc etc.  I could go on bit you get the general message. 

ETA: just read your post again and I am not sure if you purposely stated the "worst" of a bad hand or if it was a Freudian slip.

It was very much on purpose, and I think from your comment here we are in agreement on most things relating to the subject.

16 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its difficult to think about, but would I vote for independence now unless there was a clear sign the SNP would fracture? But also i despise the Tories so its very conflicting. 
If we were independent the SNP absolutely would have restrictions until the end of time, just incase.

I still think on the balance id vote yes for indy, but id be completely against the absolute muppets in the snp’s ‘promise everyone everything and never deliver on it’ strategy room, having any kind of long term influence. A decent centrist indy opposition would beat those muppets. 

There would be a complete realignment. Full control of taxes would ensure solid support for parties hoping to see them reduced. And then we might see a more traditional socioeconomic debate in Scotland . I'm sick of seeing every decision taken by the SG considered through the prism of independence. And choosing the government solely from people who think Scotland should be an independent country limits the talent pool too much.

A fair point about vaccine passports being non-trivial, I was meaning what’s been done during the main part of the pandemic up until about now. Vaccine passports are probably the biggest variance between SG and UKG so far.

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

A fair point about vaccine passports being non-trivial, I was meaning what’s been done during the main part of the pandemic up until about now. Vaccine passports are probably the biggest variance between SG and UKG so far.

Wales and The failed statelet have covid passes aswell 

55 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

There's not a huge difference even there, you need a vaccine passport or proof of negative test for EPL games and quite a few gigs and clubs ask for them too.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

I'm still reeling from the revelation yesterday that Amnesty Int. (those vitue signalling Amnesty btw) are more concerned about Mayanmar, the Palestinians and disappearing Chinese tennis players than giving our really serious problems here in Scotland any attention.

First world problems are everyone's problems.

Can’t the Green Brigade sort it out for us? Paint a few bedsheets to kick things off. ‘No bloodstained facemasks on our fizzogs’. That sort of thing.

4 minutes ago, CheeseBurger said:

If you believe the vaccines are working, then surely the distributions of vaccines would be something positive the Scottish Government have done?

Or did you struggle to think of that?

Spot on. The "distributing" of the vaccines has been superb. No one can compare to our distribution.

You name it - Dumfries, Aberdeen, Inverness etc etc .., the SG have distributed them there. Well played Nic

On 19/11/2021 at 23:46, Elixir said:

Yes, Europe absolutely fucked it by delaying their exit wave and opening up until winter. The UK by contrast, particularly in England, have had six months of Delta spread (four post no restrictions) combined with high vaccination rates (and more effective dosing schedule), meaning much higher levels of immunity in the population than anywhere on the continent. We are in a far better place.

UK has had 15k deaths since July, Germany, Spain, Italy & France all under 8k deaths. So to consider the UK has smashed it and Europe have fucked it is a bit bonkers even for you.

The UK hopefully will avoid a big spike in the coming months, but the fact is, we've got too many people in hospital and dying of Covid, and have done for months.

9 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Spotted this a couple of weeks ago, seems like us numpties in the UK have got someone's attention or more likely we've been flagged up as the world's worst super spreaders.

I think it's likely that the reason several variants appeared to take root here first was that we do more genetic sequencing than anyone else. Not imposing more severe restrictions when the case rate was going mad in the summer was an interesting experiment for the rest of the world to take note of though. Looks to me like it's working but we'll have to wait to see if we get another wave.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

There's not a huge difference even there, you need a vaccine passport or proof of negative test for EPL games and quite a few gigs and clubs ask for them too.

There is a huge difference between private businesses choosing to ask for proof of vaccination and a government obliging them to do so under pain of legal action and potential closure. 

1 hour ago, s_dog said:

UK has had 15k deaths since July, Germany, Spain, Italy & France all under 8k deaths. So to consider the UK has smashed it and Europe have fucked it is a bit bonkers even for you.

The UK hopefully will avoid a big spike in the coming months, but the fact is, we've got too many people in hospital and dying of Covid, and have done for months.

Too many relative to what benchmark exactly, for a respiratory virus in winter? 'Zero' is not a valid answer. 

There is a huge difference between private businesses choosing to ask for proof of vaccination and a government obliging them to do so under pain of legal action and potential closure. 
A distinction that has been deliberately missed by many, for quite a while now.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not for an EPL team supporter.