Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Doesn't seem to be happening. Deaths are still above the average even though fewer people are dying of covid. Which makes me think that's the folk who are dying of cancers/heart problems which have gone untreated while we are busy with covid. I've got nothing to back that up, just my thoughts.

I think most people expected this to happen for the reasons you mention, though some dismissed it as "What else can we do" and that was about it.

6 hours ago, Michael W said:

It is alarming watching parts of Europe falling down the increasingly authoritarian rabbit hole. 

Now, now. The lickspittles assure us there's 'nothing to see here'!

This article is bang on the cash money:

29 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

People are being sold a false narrative that these measures actually work, and none of the societal harms and divisions that will be reckoned with for years to come.

Polls also show most people support the death penalty, cutting international aid, and throwing out the foreigns. Does that make it right?

You pathetic individual.

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

You pathetic individual.

The amount of rage and red dots I get on this thread for merely passing on the latest news without comment, or passing on factual tips and observations, is very odd, but delightful in its way. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, AlbionSaint said:

Wow, I have been reading various articles on Austria using Google translate (my German's pretty poor) and failure to get the vaccine by 1st February will result in fines or substitute imprisonment. I imagine those sent to prison will be forcibly vaccinated - though that is speculation on my part, I can imagine the claim will be that there's a real risk to staff and other prisoners. This is truly Orwellian. 

This is very sinister. Certainly not something I thought I'd see in the 21st century Europe. Disgusting and absolutely immoral. How anyone could be in favour of this is beyond me 

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The amount of rage and red dots I get on this thread for merely passing on the latest news without comment, or passing on factual tips and observations, is very odd, but delightful in its way. :rolleyes:

I ask once again, what is this frothing lunatic's (Elixir, not you) end game ? 

What does he want from all his rabid posts ? 

It's truly hilarious reading his ranting. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, strichener said:

SNP +5

This is one of the (many) ridiculous and hilarious moonhowler 'facts' in this thread. That everyone who supports the SNP supports their approach to Covid restrictions. 

I've plenty of mates who are SNP voters who do not agree with any of the Scottish government's actions in regards to continuing restrictions. Equally, I know people who are died in the wool Unionists but who want further restrictions, or are at the very least in agreement with the SG's approach. 

I'm sure that I'm not alone in that. 

I know NO-ONE who's opinion on Covid measures is governed and dictated to by the political party that they vote for. 

The only people who seem to be making this a constant political issue are a few batshit mental ranters on here. 

50 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"A significant number of businesses will be hit by the expansion of vaccine passports while there is little evidence they cut transmission or convince people to get jabbed, the Scottish government has admitted."

image.png.33c92bc5ffa92403d6e18ae65693c204.png

Unionist LIES!

There’s a turn up for the books.  Bauld on the news saying don’t assume what’s happening in Europe will happen here.  Positivity from Bauld?

Basically saying because of prior infections and a good vaccine roll-out we’re in a different place than Europe.

Some on here have been saying that for a while and been ridiculed as moonhowlers.  Seems like the “experts” are coming round to their way of thinking.

55 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I ask once again, what is this frothing lunatic's (Elixir, not you) end game ?

What does he want from all his rabid posts ?

It's truly hilarious reading his ranting.

Err, the endgame is... returning to full, pre-pandemic normality. Something which should have happened by now, hence the government criticism.

35 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

This is one of the (many) ridiculous and hilarious moonhowler 'facts' in this thread. That everyone who supports the SNP supports their approach to Covid restrictions. 

I've plenty of mates who are SNP voters who do not agree with any of the Scottish government's actions in regards to continuing restrictions. Equally, I know people who are died in the wool Unionists but who want further restrictions, or are at the very least in agreement with the SG's approach. 

I'm sure that I'm not alone in that. 

I know NO-ONE who's opinion on Covid measures is governed and dictated to by the political party that they vote for. 

The only people who seem to be making this a constant political issue are a few batshit mental ranters on here.

Most of these posters have literal records of posts supporting the SNP, which date back to the time of the referendum - myself included. That must be a hard one to square for yourself.

7 minutes ago, Left Back said:

There’s a turn up for the books.  Bauld on the news saying don’t assume what’s happening in Europe will happen here.  Positivity from Bauld?

Basically saying because of prior infections and a good vaccine roll-out we’re in a different place than Europe.

Some on here have been saying that for a while and been ridiculed as moonhowlers.  Seems like the “experts” are coming round to their way of thinking.

She does this really annoying thing where she comes out with some sensible and pragmatic takes, before resorting to type. It's like a covering all angles grift.

Edited by Elixir

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This is very sinister. Certainly not something I thought I'd see in the 21st century Europe. Disgusting and absolutely immoral. How anyone could be in favour of this is beyond me 

In part it’s still a reaction to the financial crash in 2008. History shows that financial busts generally lead to a swing right politically as protectionism kicks in and people are told it’s all because of some bogeyman or other. All Covid has done is give lightweight facist wannabes a chance to try and swing a bit further than they had hoped they would be able to.

Historically we’d have got a good war out of it, nowadays that’s probably not necessary, but there will be a smattering of good riots and probably a political assassination or two if anyone tries taking things too far.

She does this really annoying thing where she comes out with some sensible and pragmatic takes, before resorting to type. It's like a covering all angles grift.
We have now sat without any real problems with an infection rate varying from 320 to 450 per 100k for many weeks now.
For want of a saying we have finally got of the elevator albeit on the 4th floor.
Therefore no reason to make any changes.

In Europe all these countries were below 100 and in many cases 50 for a long time. Their accelerated infection rates up to close to 1000 in the case of Austria, and still rising must have huge impact.
That coupled with much lower vaccine uptake etc etc.

15 minutes ago, superbigal said:

We have now sat without any real problems with an infection rate varying from 320 to 450 per 100k for many weeks now.
For want of a saying we have finally got of the elevator albeit on the 4th floor.
Therefore no reason to make any changes.

In Europe all these countries were below 100 and in many cases 50 for a long time. Their accelerated infection rates up to close to 1000 in the case of Austria, and still rising must have huge impact.
That coupled with much lower vaccine uptake etc etc.

I think our policy was to let Delta run its course in the summer with few restrictions by European standards, and hopefully it would be declining or steadying by the winter. It was a good gamble, we're well ahead of the curve of Europe, but they're hitting their peak at the worst possible time.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think our policy was to let Delta run its course in the summer with few restrictions by European standards, and hopefully it would be declining or steadying by the winter. It was a good gamble, we're well ahead of the curve of Europe, but they're hitting their peak at the worst possible time.

You’d have thought the whole “respiratory illness” part of it would have been in every policy decision on it when trying to decide if they should try and get the worst of it out the way when conditions were more favourable for doing that.

Edited by Ross.