Coronavirus (COVID-19)

ICTChris

53 minutes ago, Elixir said:

It's really not been difficult from the outset to derive from 'the data' that those aged under 30 have never been at any actual risk from Covid. Indeed, no more so than any other respiratory infection. Even the fatties and those who survive on Greggs every day might feel a bit shite for longer, but they certainly don't burden the health system.

1190812758_tenor(2).gif.ea255b912670b006cd27dc76a5838032.gif

me, every time i read the shite you post

Edited by Meldrew

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

A sentence beginning "The Telegraph understands..." is not one that I would put much faith in.

There is no chance the SG would genuinely attempt to keep rules in place that would just drive people to use English airports instead to avoid them for the reasons given above. If they did it would be utter madness. As he says himself it’ll be a case of them saying they don’t agree with it and would consider their own rules, but in the end ultimately accepting the rules set by England.

11 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

There is no chance the SG would genuinely attempt to keep rules in place that would just drive people to use English airports instead to avoid them for the reasons given above. If they did it would be utter madness. As he says himself it’ll be a case of them saying they don’t agree with it and would consider their own rules, but in the end ultimately accepting the rules set by England.

Yup. Whatever people think of the SNP they're not going to do something that would be massively unpopular. They learnt that from the backlash from forcing us to use that overpriced cowboy firm for day 2 and 8 tests, which most people just ignored, and they ended up dropping it. They're also in the middle of trying to persuade other countries to accept our Covid app, and it won't go down well if we're going to charge their citizens a fortune in tests for coming here.

Edited by welshbairn

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The NHS is really the only emotional stick they have left. Protecting people is now largely out the window since everyone has had the vaccine offered to them and so they need something else to try and sell a future lockdown, if such a thing happens. 

Given that people went on their doorstep and clapped at fresh air for the NHS, hardly a susprise that it's being used. However, it shouldn't need saying that the people do not exist to serve the NHS - it's the other around. That some people seem quite keen to start shutting things down the way we did previously in response to an emergency situation where we knew absolutely nothing and had no vaccine is alarming. 

And if we do have another "lockdown to save the NHS" moment, then frankly the entire government should resign. They won't, but it will represent a catastrophic failure. 

29 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

1190812758_tenor(2).gif.ea255b912670b006cd27dc76a5838032.gif

me, every time i read the shite you post

Do you not like official Government, ONS and NHS data?

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Yup. Whatever people think of the SNP they're not going to do something that would be massively unpopular. They learnt that from the backlash from forcing us to use that overpriced cowboy firm for day 2 and 8 tests, which most people just ignored, and they ended up dropping it. They're also in the middle of trying to persuade other countries to accept our Covid app, and it won't go down well if we're going to charge their citizens a fortune in tests for coming here.

How long did it take them to about-turn on that? Months over the key summer period, was it?

As I've said, I'll be keeping my powder dry for foreign travel till next May onwards, when there will probably be minimal restrictions anyway, if at all. But I still want this nonsense binned so we can start getting our routes and connectivity back as soon as possible.

I'm not convinced any future restrictions (not that I believe they will be needed) will apply to anyone bar the unvaccinated.

Whether that is right or wrong is a whole different question, but the announcement of boosters, recent re-enforcement of the ability for the vaccines to prevent serious illness, and the baiting of vaccine certification down South makes me believe that.

Edited by Todd_is_God

As predicted, Deepti is on Twitter saying the ONS study is wrong because it doesn't include mood swings in teenagers and brain fog as symptoms. Also, the ONS study includes people who had Covid but were not symptomatic. Jeez...

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

It's really not been difficult from the outset to derive from 'the data' that those aged under 30 have never been at any actual risk from Covid. Indeed, no more so than any other respiratory infection. Even the fatties and those who survive on Greggs every day might feel a bit shite for longer, but they certainly don't burden the health system.

Even though they're the least likely to become seriously ill or die, in the past week alone there's been 150 people under the age of 30 admitted to hospital. Far less than those aged over-70 but they're still taking up beds and staff time and contributing to the hospitals being incredibly stretched. 

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

As predicted, Deepti is on Twitter saying the ONS study is wrong because it doesn't include mood swings in teenagers and brain fog as symptoms. Also, the ONS study includes people who had Covid but were not symptomatic. Jeez...

Tricky doing blind testing on teenage moodiness..

7 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Even though they're the least likely to become seriously ill or die, in the past week alone there's been 150 people under the age of 30 admitted to hospital. Far less than those aged over-70 but they're still taking up beds and staff time and contributing to the hospitals being incredibly stretched. 

Have they been admitted to hospital requiring treatment for Covid, have they been admitted to hospital for treatment for something else but tested positive, have they tested positive after already being in hospital (i.e. caught it there) and are now requiring treatment, or have they caught it whilst already in hospital but require no treatment?

I imagine that number will be spread amongst all 4 categories. I still find it absolutely staggering that, not only do we not appear to know, but that no-one seems to have thought to ask.

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Have they been admitted to hospital requiring treatment for Covid, have they been admitted to hospital for treatment for something else but tested positive, have they tested positive after already being in hospital (i.e. caught it there) and are now requiring treatment, or have they caught it whilst already in hospital but require no treatment?

I imagine that number will be spread amongst all 4 categories. I still find it absolutely staggering that we don't appear to know.

The answer is probably known, but not by you or me! 

Below is a terrific endorsement of the Vaccine. 

Of the deniers who just point out 67% of over 50s who died were double jagged. 

OVER 98% of all people over 50 have had at least 1 Jag

So a huge 25% of deaths were from less than 2% of this non jagged over 50 population.

A total of 2,542 deaths occurred in England up to 12 September of people who were either confirmed or likely to have had the Delta variant of Covid-19 and who died within 28 days of a positive test, according to new figures from Public Health England.

Of this number, 204 were under the age of 50 and 2,336 were aged 50 or over.

Of the 204 deaths of people under 50, 132 (65%) were unvaccinated, 17 (8%) had received one dose of vaccine and 48 (24%) had received both doses.

Of the 2,336 deaths of people aged 50 or over, 590 (25%) were unvaccinated, 149 (6%) had received one dose of vaccine and 1,565 (67%) had received both doses

Edited by superbigal

23 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Second best meltdown I’ve seen over the ONS data.

I expect they'll be delayed to later in October here too. The firm doing the app said they hadn't been given the final details from NHS Scotland for how they wanted it to work a couple of weeks ago. The Danish version includes photo ID which is something they're probably arguing about behind the scenes.

Edited by welshbairn

Wales goes for vaccine passports.  Looks a similar set-up to Scotland.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-58596128

I think as suspected since Johnson mooted it months ago, the advice going to government is pretty heavily in favour of the vaccine passport. The UK Government and the devolved administrations all get the same advice ultimately. It’s a question of political will on whether to resist - Johnson is clearly in favour and has signposted they’ll come in when cases rise. Sturgeon claimed to be against but introduced as soon as cases rose. Drakeford was saying just the other day that the UK Gov were the ones trying to press him into it, and that he wasn’t keen - and yet today he’s voting to bring it about.

A definite ‘are we the baddies’ moment when the only people preventing it UK-wide are the likes of John Redwood and Steve Baker. But here we are.

35 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Oh wow, a whole 150 people out of over 68 million - most probably in with a broken wrist or appendicitis but testing positive for ole Rona! Better lockdown immediately to protect the NHS!

13 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Wales goes for vaccine passports.  Looks a similar set-up to Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-58596128

Pure politics and nothing to do with 'public health'.