Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Most frontline medical staff earn a whole lot more than entry level hospitality or retail and with job security for life. 

My flat mate started working in community care last year, he's just left them to work at Halfords for more money. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

My flat mate started working in community care last year, he's just left them to work at Halfords for more money. 

Care work is a different matter, vastly underpaid for what they do and their responsibilities.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

Government couldn't care less if staff at the NHS lose their jobs, it'll buy into their "NHS isn't fit for purpose it needs privatized by one of our pals" agenda.

I've never bought this argument. 

The NHS is the only thing in Britain that is almost universally liked; it has an almost cult-like status and criticism of it is pretty much always badly received. Politicians play into this too: 'Our wonderful NHS' etc. and they used this sanctity of the NHS as a key driver of the first lockdown. 

The NHS collapsing would not be forgiven.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Perhaps one of the guys gleefully supporting mandatory vaccinations for NHS staff can explain something.

There's over 100,000 NHS staff currently unvaccinated.

Who is going to come in to fill those posts give we are already short-staffed as it is?

Same question for care home workers.

I don't know how many times this needs said but there is no scenario in any of this where people do not die as a result of making one decision over another.

The sanctimony is wearing a bit thin.

At least they can move to Scotland as we have vacancies.

Edited by superbigal

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

The NHS collapsing would not be forgiven.

It's the perception of the collapse that's important though. Time and time again Tories try to paint the NHS as unfit for purpose and have basically been managing a decline since they came to power. If people can be shown it's failing on its own then the affect on the vote could be minimal. You also need to consider that Tories don't really care what your average punter thinks, they want health contracts for their pals and private interests, even if they lost their MP seat they are still quids in. 

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Posted in the travel forum but might be better here. Just done my PLF for entry to Italy. Can I also do the PLF for entry back into the U.K. now or does it have to be within a certain time period closer to the flight home date?

Within 48 of flying back home, and you'll need the code for a booked LFT day 2 test to fill it in.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Which part of "we cannot afford to lose ANY staff in either sector because both are already severely understaffed as it is" are you not understanding?

You're not answering my question. How do you know this?

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Most of them won't get vaccinated though under any circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Posted in the travel forum but might be better here. Just done my PLF for entry to Italy. Can I also do the PLF for entry back into the U.K. now or does it have to be within a certain time period closer to the flight home date?

You can book a private antigen test now, usually about £20 or so. I did it with Randox, was around £20 with the code. A complete nonsense, you download their (often faulty) app and send a photo of the completed test that you might as well have dipped in coca-cola for all they'd know. But they provide you with a code to enter into your PLF that's absolutely, definitely, 100% being checked. 

4 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

You can book a private antigen test now, usually about £20 or so. I did it with Randox, was around £20 with the code. A complete nonsense, you download their (often faulty) app and send a photo of the completed test that you might as well have dipped in coca-cola for all they'd know. But they provide you with a code to enter into your PLF that's absolutely, definitely, 100% being checked. 

Yeah got that booked but just wasn’t sure if I could complete the form now or had to wait, but Welshbairn has confirmed. Annoying having to wait and complete it whilst out there but oh well.

6 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yeah got that booked but just wasn’t sure if I could complete the form now or had to wait, but Welshbairn has confirmed. Annoying having to wait and complete it whilst out there but oh well.

Yeah it's within 48 hours of arrival for whatever reason. 

Weekly Cases Update

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 6th to 12th November  were  18,767 to 20,999 up 11.89%, Positivity was 8.9% now 9.9%.  Cases per 100K were 343.3 now 384.2

COP26 Glasgow now foot of the table.  Dundee & Edinburgh also in the bottom 4.  Some large risers again in the more rural areas. 

Home Nations Daily Cases  per 100K update  :  UK Average  402.1 to 354.6 down 11.81%, England  399.7 to 342.3 down 14.36%, Wales 556.2 to 479.1 down 13.86%, Northern Ireland 428.8 to 468.3 up 9.21%

Cases in Europe in terms of increase in last week. Hungary 66%, Germany 49%, Switzerland 44%, Portugal 44%, Austria 43%, Italy 43%, Czech 40%, Denmark 40%, France 39%,  Netherlands 36%,  all over 35% up.

In terms of numbers per 100K  Slovenia 1067, Croatia 920, Austria 835, Slovakia 759, Czech 691, Lithuania 604, Netherlands 548, Ireland 545, Belgium 533 all over 500.

Scotland  peaks in wave 4 at 817.1 for 1st Sep to 7th Sep, (UK was 392.1), Cases that day were 44,663 and positivity 12.5%

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland  peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last week as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Orkney Islands   598.2 to 638.4    Covid was always going to catch up with the Islands.  Still had the least Covid of all UK councils at 3.7% of population.

Clackmannanshire  563.5 to 622.0

Dumfries & Galloway  437.0 to 551.6  Up nearly 90% in 2 weeks.  Moffat hit over 2600 per 100K.

Moray   370.9 to 543.3  Big mover of the week up near 50%

Angus  468.8 to 534.5  Up 50% in 2 weeks

Falkirk  391.8 to 521.3  Up 33% on the week

East Ayrshire  518.1 to 505.8  

Highlands 389.1 to 480.4   Up near 60% in 2 weeks.

East Dunbartonshire  335.6 to 474.5  Big mover up over 40% on the week.

Perth & Kinross   395.6 to 456.8 

Stirling 437.9 to 456.0 

Fife  368.1 to 434.9  St Andrews Uni had a party

Argyll & Bute  388.6 to 417.9 

Aberdeen City  347.5 to 407.8

South Ayrshire  333.5 to 405.7  Up over 50% in 2 weeks

Inverclyde  426.9 to 401.0 

Western Isles   630.2 to 400.0  Big faller down 36% albeit small numbers

North Lanarkshire   379.9 to 399.2

South Lanarkshire   361.3 to 391.8  

Scottish  Borders   429.5 to 389.6 Down a decent near 10%

BELOW AVERAGE 

East Renfrewshire  285.2 to 382.1  Up 34% on the week

East Lothian  320.7 to 367.9

West Lothian  382.4 to 363.9  Falling last 2 weeks

Aberdeenshire  364.7 to 345.5  Down 25% in 2 weeks

North Ayrshire  338.2 to 343.4 

Midlothian  290.9 to 330.6

West Dunbartonshire  324.9 to 328.3 

Renfrewshire  262.0 to 320.5  

Dundee City  313.8 to 289.6 Down over 20% in 2 weeks

City Of Edinburgh   228.2 to 278.2 

Shetland Islands   161.8 to 266.7

Glasgow City 220.6 to 239.0

Some modelling data around the boosters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59289008

Table with modelled outcomes for booster jabs in the UK

If everyone gets a booster we're still looking at 170 admissions and 32 deaths per day.  If 90% of over 50's take it up it's 411 & 82 per day.  I'd guess the actual figures we'll be looking at will be somewhere between rows 1 & 2 (probably closer to 2 than 1) with the expansion of the booster programme that's been announced today.

Heavy caveat on all of the above that the model is vaguely accurate which obviously hasn't been the case so far.

53 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You're not answering my question. How do you know this?

From my own exoereince local authority care in the area where I work is on its knees. Senior managets are having to plug operational gaps and on occasion deliver care. Two of the three social work service managers have left and not been replaced and the one remained submitted their resignation followed by a sickline last week. Purely anecdotal I know but as staff leave or go off sick more is expected of those who remain causing more of them to go off sick etc, it really does seem like a vicious circle. 

14 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Some modelling data around the boosters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59289008

Table with modelled outcomes for booster jabs in the UK

If everyone gets a booster we're still looking at 170 admissions and 32 deaths per day.  If 90% of over 50's take it up it's 411 & 82 per day.  I'd guess the actual figures we'll be looking at will be somewhere between rows 1 & 2 (probably closer to 2 than 1) with the expansion of the booster programme that's been announced today.

Heavy caveat on all of the above that the model is vaguely accurate which obviously hasn't been the case so far.

The Covid modelling from day one has been a shambles. The first lockdown came about thanks to a model predicting half a million deaths.