Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Johnson making a strong appeal for the main player vote.

FDsgiL-aQAAA_YS?format=jpg&name=900x900

Yes this thread has descended into a rather boring "Main Players (otherwise known as Toarries) V The Simps (no idea who coined that phrase but pretty much all the Main Players seem to use it now........which has been helpful)

image.png.03b5dfec2cac92b99c67a685b5e28fd9.png

Is there anything practical that could be done with schools, maybe during December and January for example, which would help with cases? Not suggesting closing them, but if we are at a precarious point maybe reducing the level of mixing in schools somehow. Wonder if teachers are happy with the case figures in schools at this point. It's a bloomin minefield.

The biggest change in figures is the number of people being tested. A couple of weeks ago, it was just over 20,000 per day in Scotland. Now, for some reason, it has doubled. Back in September, it was a ridiculous 60,000 plus per day.

There is no logic to the 'don't test and you won't see cases' argument, but so long as you have wildly fluctuating test numbers then no credible trend in the underlying case numbers can be found. It is garbage in, garbage out at the moment. 

39 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

A week ago was 3rd Nov. I think his figures are about right for 3rd to 10th.

Todays figures are for the 9th.

the 3rd (2966) had lower numbers than the 2nd (3022) so rise to 3852 would be even higher.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/phs.covid.19/viz/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

Edited by superbigal

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

Everything you type is moonhowling.  

Questioning authoritarian measures = moonhowling in the world of 'Wee Bully'.

38 minutes ago, btb said:

Correct, there is a difference between pontificating on the General Nonsense Section (nuff said) of a football forum and actually having the responsibility for minimizing the effects of the, now endemic, virus.

Considering we're (UK figures) currently running at over 1000 deaths per month from a respiratory virus that is more problematical in winter and that we haven't even started proper winter yet I find the "nothing to see here, mate" comments on the thread complacent in the extreme.

Err, that is disregarding the fact that the UK (England weeks before Scotland and Wales) opened up fully months before continental Europe and subsequently had their exit wave in summer, which is why we are seeing what we are now in the data (UK plummeting, Europe spiking). Just because 'it's winter' does not automatically mean things will naturally get worse because of the immunity that already exists in the UK (certainly English) population. Indeed, cases and deaths are going to be dramatically lower in the next two months than the two preceding it, at least south of the border.

Oh, and if you're shocked at over 1,000 deaths per month from Covid, wait until I tell you that over 1,500 people die of all causes daily in the UK. Indeed, for comparison the last bad influenza outbreak in the UK (2017/18) saw deaths peaking at 400 every single day. Nobody batted an eyelid.

6 minutes ago, GTee said:

Is there anything practical that could be done with schools, maybe during December and January for example, which would help with cases? Not suggesting closing them, but if we are at a precarious point maybe reducing the level of mixing in schools somehow. Wonder if teachers are happy with the case figures in schools at this point. It's a bloomin minefield.

I'm still waiting on an explanation as to why cases in English school kids have already collapsed when they went back weeks after they did up here. We know they have collapsed down south because nearly all of them have now been exposed and/or vaccinated. But this should be true in Scotland as well.

2 minutes ago, superbigal said:

the 3rd (2966) had lower numbers than the 2nd (3022) so rise to 3852 would be even higher.

^^^ idiot found

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

The biggest change in figures is the number of people being tested. A couple of weeks ago, it was just over 20,000 per day in Scotland. Now, for some reason, it has doubled. Back in September, it was a ridiculous 60,000 plus per day.

There is no logic to the 'don't test and you won't see cases' argument, but so long as you have wildly fluctuating test numbers then no credible trend in the underlying case numbers can be found. It is garbage in, garbage out at the moment. 

I think that's probably intentional.  When they see the case numbers are dropping they increase testing to get them back up so that they can keep restrictions for longer to look like they care more.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I think that's probably intentional.  When they see the case numbers are dropping they increase testing to get them back up so that they can keep restrictions for longer to look like they care more.

You also have people taking tests when they have the cold, if you have Covid you will know by being wiped out and if it doesn't wipe you out why bother getting tested.

15 minutes ago, superbigal said:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/phs.covid.19/viz/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

I took the figures released on the 10th and the 3rd. 3,495 and 3,852. 357 more. About 10%.

image.png.849e7b1215b68a726471a5dc70347d5b.png

Tuesday 2nd to Tuesday 9th would be an 11% rise so not much difference.

Nothing to see here, just the 18th day in a row of cases falling in England without the need for authoritarian health theatre. The Simps on here won't like it one bit, but the numbers don't lie.

You also have people taking tests when they have the cold, if you have Covid you will know by being wiped out and if it doesn't wipe you out why bother getting tested.
Isn't it just a sniffle if your double jabbed ? What's all this "wiped out" nonsense. Dr no light has been telling us it's the sniffles for about a year now.

The leaked threats to the Telegraph are fair ramping up a bit. We've gone from "we'll introduce restrictions again" to "we will ban you". 

Such a thing would of course require the shitty vaccine passports.

Edited by Michael W

38 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Nothing to see here, just the 18th day in a row of cases falling in England without the need for authoritarian health theatre. The Simps on here won't like it one bit, but the numbers don't lie.

An impact that can be measured directly from the schools being shut. Nothing to see here, though: it's the oldies and the other JCVI priority groups that haven't got their booster that are the real problem here.

17 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
46 minutes ago, 101 said:

Isn't it just a sniffle if your double jabbed ? What's all this "wiped out" nonsense. Dr no light has been telling us it's the sniffles for about a year now.

I know a few people completely fucked just now with Covid not making it out of bed etc.

I, like you, thought after being double vaxxed it would be like a cold but don't get the point of testing to see if a cold is indeed Covid when it probably isn't, but plenty people clearly are.

There has been a fair amount of pointing and snarling here. I will let you all decide if I am a moonhowler. My beliefs at this time are simple.

1. Masks are not effective in reducing case numbers. The biggest experiment on this is right here in the UK. In July England dropped the mask mandate and we kept ours. Until that point Scotland and England had largely the same covid response. We went into lockdown together, came out together and so on. Differences were minor. Having kept masks for the past 4 months what have we seen? Not a drop in case rates in Scotland compared to England that's for sure. And in Europe now cases are surging. 

2. Vaccine passports are also not effective. They target small sections of the population (for now). The hated football fans and young adults mainly. What has been the drop in case rates since these were introduced? Hee haw. As @Todd_is_God has pointed out, school aged kids and, to a lesser extent, the middle aged are driving cases now. Folk in schools and offices.

3. Having backed these measures, the Scottish government cannot back down without losing face. You will not hear Swinney any time soon come out and scrap these measures. All he can do is double down and spin the line that these prevent lockdowns. All he can do is extend them to show folk that they are on top of the virus. False flag. 

4. These restrictions themselves are unhealthy. I cannot imagine wearing a mask all day and feel sorry for folk that have to. 

5. Vaccines work. 

As I said, if this makes me a moonhowler, so be it. 

Edited by scottsdad
Feckin autocorrect

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Don't know how you can come to that conclusion when the majoriy of testing is voluntarily done by individuals anyway.  My own experience has been that I have conducted LFT's on a fairly regular basis over the past 5 or 6 weeks because things have opened up  and often some events that I have attended have either asked for proof of a negative test within 24 hours or have recommended one is done.  For example I attended a COP26 related dinner in Glasgow last week and every single attendee was asked to show proof of a negative test. 

I can confirm that I did not get a text from Scottish Gov asking me to do a test as "case numbers are dropping and we need to get them back up"

I will do another test before I go to Glasgow again on Monday for the fitba...if thats ok with you....or should I wait and see how many tests are done over the weekend first?

Was if just a coincidence that the BBC ran a story yesterday about a nurse who was inconsolable as a result of the pressure she was under and then later in the day Mr Swinney is warning us all of incoming restictions? 

1 hour ago, GTee said:

Schools always have and always will be one the biggest spreaders if virus'. Snotty kids, bad had washing etc. I'm not sure what else can be done as we move to endemic.