Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The clapping thing has been happening in Spain every night. Not my thing, but it seems to have been appreciated by some of the medical staff here. A lot of people live in apartment blocks here and also use it as an excuse to be out on the landing or balcony at the same time to have a wee shout over at each other. 

Deaths fell in Spain today. Still an absolute fuckload though. You would hope this is the start of a trend in it falling given we are about 10 days into lockdown. 

Edited by JMDP

1 hour ago, Steven W said:

I was asking earlier in the day. If you are made redundant after having been on furlough, does your redundancy payout reflect your full salary prior to furlough.

Or could a rather unscrupulous employer effectively use it to slash your redundancy payout by four fifths, using what was your after all the final wage they were paying you

Interesting question. Pretty sure it would be based on your salary pre furlough. Though I'm sure skint chancers may try to avoid it as you say. 

17 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

None of us knows. Clinging to optimism is not something I’d often accuse Pie and Bovril of.

Indeed. Apparently though, you’re a zoomer if you dont accept that when this ‘two to three weeks behind Italy’ period plays out, we are cast-iron guaranteed to be just like them. Or Spain. As an aside, are we talking about Italy as a whole, or just the truly terribly affected Lombardi region? Are we allowing for any skewed London figures? So many questions, so many variables still at play.

Guess it doesn’t matter though. I’m just a zoomer who is adopting a ‘let’s wait and see’ attitude, rather than simply presuming we are glued to Italy at the knee in some bizarre three legged race from which there is no chance of a different result.

I’m not accepting it as a given. Maybe in hope more than expectation, time will tell.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Indeed. Apparently though, you’re a zoomer if you dont accept that when this ‘two to three weeks behind Italy’ period plays out, we are cast-iron guaranteed to be just like them. Or Spain. As an aside, are we talking about Italy as a whole, or just the truly terribly affected Lombadi region? Are we allowing for any skewed London figures? So many questions, so many variables.

Guess it doesn’t matter though. I’m just a zoomer adopting a ‘let’s wait and see before simply presuming we are glued to Italy at the knee in some bizarre three legged race to armageddon levels of tsunami death.

Nobody is saying that though are they? We are following the curve that they had.

Never mind though, we can all get out for jogs and we got one last piss up last Friday night.

36 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I actually feared it shooting over 600 today, I think we're into the realms of hoping we're jammy b*****ds. 

That'll be coming, looking at the fact they NEED huge temporary hospitals tells me that they're expecting hundreds / thousands to be seriously ill within the next few weeks, that's when we'll start to see the Death rate accelerate accordingly.

One of the Italian Doctors in Bergamo had noted that patients could be in hospital for up to three weeks and for those patients it was around a 50% mortality rate.

Grim stuff.

4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Nobody is saying that though are they? We are following the curve that they had.

No we're not?

ET_d-yeXgAEngrf.thumb.jpeg.ee111519f98a4283a788600a36fd42ac.jpeg

Italy and the UK have never plotted at the same point until now, we're crossing over their "curve" just now rather than following it. Closest curve for us seems to be China.

Lockdown done with less than half the deaths at the time Italy done it.

Spain obviously far worse.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Indeed. Apparently though, you’re a zoomer if you dont accept that when this ‘two to three weeks behind Italy’ period plays out, we are cast-iron guaranteed to be just like them. Or Spain. As an aside, are we talking about Italy as a whole, or just the truly terribly affected Lombadi region? Are we allowing for any skewed London figures? So many questions, so many variables.

Guess it doesn’t matter though. I’m just a zoomer adopting a ‘let’s wait and see before simply presuming we are glued to Italy at the knee in some bizarre three legged race to armageddon levels of tsunami death.

I've no idea where we'll be in a fortnight but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if we're up around 800 tomorrow, at least we've crossed over the line for doubling every 2.25 days now, hopefully nearer 3 than 2 tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

No we're not?

Italy and the UK have never plotted at the same point until now, we're crossing over their "curve" just now rather than following it. Closest curve for us seems to be China.

Did you mean to post a different graph? That's as near as dammit one for one with Italy.

Cue the self-employed who bend over backwards to minimise their tax liability since forever contacting HMRC to explain how those returns weren't accurate and they want 80% of what they really earned.

I’ve seen a lot of this on social media and really don’t get it, is it a jealousy thing? I have absolutely no bug bears with people who work hard minimising their tax liability and perhaps taking advantage of the system. I’m sure if they could, employees would do everything they could to minimise tax liability as well.

Just now, RossDee01 said:

I’ve seen a lot of this on social media and really don’t get it, is it a jealousy thing? I have absolutely no bug bears with people who work hard minimising their tax liability and perhaps taking advantage of the system. I’m sure if they could, employees would do everything they could to minimise tax liability as well.

Indeed.

The idiots won't need government advice. My neighbours are the kindest people you could ever meet and and are very close friends, but they have been letting neighbours and family walk in the house without saying fuckall to them. One of those neighbours works in a supermarket. My neighbour had polio when she was young and has a very weak immune system, so I don't think loads of people visiting is a great idea.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Did you mean to post a different graph? That's as near as dammit one for one with Italy.

Its really not. Italy is the black/darkest grey line, UK is the purple/dark pink.

We've been worse until the exact point this graph plots us at, which you could read as us starting to slow and cross over Italy while they were still shooting up.

20200326_192914.thumb.jpg.b8b161ba05598531eceeae5b72f5be2d.jpg

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No we're not?

I'd wait for 3 or 4 days before we take our recent deviation too literally. 

I'll still be crossing my fingers until then, 4000 deaths or less by next Wednesday will be good, up near 6000 and I'll be behind the couch. 

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Never mind though, we can all get out for jogs and we got one last piss up last Friday night.

Can’t remember the last time I personally had a piss up at all. Or a jog. Definitely had a short game of golf though the day before the club shut down. Definitely walked the road to and from Westerwood Hotel two days ago. Definitely went down to the retail park today and did a thirty minute walk around the loch before doing some shopping. I assume if you have a problem with this, you’ll detail exactly why, given the only time I wasn’t 2m away from someone was at the M&S till today while carrying out a cashless transaction.

The curve in Britain is different.

Add in the factors about lockdown at half their deaths, and more time to prepare, and things are looking reasonably positive in terms of avoiding what Italy is going through.

No doubt our worst is yet to come, but hopefully statistically not as severe.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It’s really not - the shape of the curve is much different, showing more sign of “flattening out”. Obviously nothing’s guaranteed and I’m not making any predictions but the shape of the UK’s curve makes it look like it would end up just below China.

I'd wait for 3 or 4 days before we take our recent deviation too literally. 

I'll still be crossing my fingers until then, 4000 deaths or less by next Wednesday will be good, up near 6000 and I'll be behind the couch. 

London will get hammered by it I think which will rocket the numbers. Italy was the same where the majority of the cases were confined to one region. I can’t really see Scotland being hit too hard, the majority of us up here seem to be taking the whole thing more seriously and we’re naturally a lot more spread out up here than they are down there.