Coronavirus (COVID-19)

“The businessman from Glasgow says his "blood boiled" after he and his wife witnessed three players and one member of Hibs staff failing to follow the rules on mask wearing”

what a weirdo! And to then feel the need to call the Daily Record to let them know his blood was boiling at a few (presumably young and healthy) sportsmen who were in a squad, together, weren’t wearing a mask.

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Does anyone have an explanation for this?

The inevitable, time-delayed result of effectively shutting down the entire health service?

As was so often pointed out last year, and shot down by the "all covid deaths are preventable" brigade, the knock on effect of going to extreme lengths to try to prevent people catching a mildly fatal virus will be worse than the effects of the virus. This is just the start.

But, hey, at least some people wore masks and cared more...

4 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Walk in sites for Covid booster jabs in England. We should be doing this here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-59116051

My dad was invited for his booster jag and flu vaccine. He went along with my mum. Whilst she was there she asked if she could get hers too. Of course, they said, and took her right away. 

They may not be officially walk in centres, but my folks know a few people who have just walked in and got taken.

27 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The inevitable, time-delayed result of effectively shutting down the entire health service?

As was so often pointed out last year, and shot down by the "all covid deaths are preventable" brigade, the knock on effect of going to extreme lengths to try to prevent people catching a mildly fatal virus will be worse than the effects of the virus. This is just the start.

But, hey, at least some people wore masks and cared more...

Exactly this. My old man was diagnosed with a serious lung condition recently and was told there was a 50 week wait time despite his being referred as urgent. Why? Because all the cancer cases are being seen ahead of him. The backlog of cancer cases is massive. Many will die.

50 minutes ago, Detournement said:
Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Aside from the huge amount of excess deaths this is obviously why the ambulance service is in dissaray. 

The tweet shows excess mortality from June to October - this is when the 2020 figures were back to normal/below average after the first wave and just before they started rising again for the winter. Conveniently for the graph, 2021's below average excess mortality numbers were between March and June, so of course the summer mortality is going to be higher this year if you compare it to last year. https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/deaths

As an aside, first time I've been on travelling tabby's site for a few weeks - didn't realise that the case and hospital numbers have basically remained static for the last month!

14 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

As an aside, first time I've been on travelling tabby's site for a few weeks - didn't realise that the case and hospital numbers have basically remained static for the last month!

You'd be forgiven for thinking they'd been shooting up the way the media etc have been banging on about tightening restrictions.

The reality, as you have discovered, is it's a bit of a non-event.

Edited by Todd_is_God

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I've been saying for over a year that most of our breath comes leaking out the sides of masks taking the virus with it.

This hilarious video shows an utter clown trying to prove masking works and achieves the exact opposite but still claims they work at the end.

Anyone who believes masking works can get in the sea with this guy and all the "experts" out there who just don't know what they are talking about.

Oh and those virus-soaked particles of water coming out the side of the mask are so small and light that they will disperse and stay airborne for hours.

It doesn't matter whether you double, treble or quadruple your masking. If you have covid and breath out in a public place, everyone in the room is getting a dose.

Now end this nonsense once and for all please.

Yeah but if you stand 2m away and wash your hands...

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I've been saying for over a year that most of our breath comes leaking out the sides of masks taking the virus with it.

This hilarious video shows an utter clown trying to prove masking works and achieves the exact opposite but still claims they work at the end.

Anyone who believes masking works can get in the sea with this guy and all the "experts" out there who just don't know what they are talking about.

Oh and those virus-soaked particles of water coming out the side of the mask are so small and light that they will disperse and stay airborne for hours.

It doesn't matter whether you double, treble or quadruple your masking. If you have covid and breath out in a public place, everyone in the room is getting a dose.

Now end this nonsense once and for all please.

Why is his head smoking? 

My dad was invited for his booster jag and flu vaccine. He went along with my mum. Whilst she was there she asked if she could get hers too. Of course, they said, and took her right away. 
They may not be officially walk in centres, but my folks know a few people who have just walked in and got taken.

That’s good to hear.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

The tweet shows excess mortality from June to October - this is when the 2020 figures were back to normal/below average after the first wave and just before they started rising again for the winter. Conveniently for the graph, 2021's below average excess mortality numbers were between March and June, so of course the summer mortality is going to be higher this year if you compare it to last year. https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/deaths

It's significantly higher than every other year not just 2020. 

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's significantly higher than every other year not just 2020. 

Right but weeks 23-41 in 2020 were at the end of the first peak when excess deaths were negative (presumably people who would've died in the summer, died earlier in the first wave). In 2021 that same period was at the start of another wave so of course there's going to be higher than in 2020. 

excess.PNG

I’m in Ireland with work this week and at my usual spot (Trim, Co. Meath). Lovely little town and 40 mins max from my main customer in Dublin. I popped out for a Guinness and they are still track & tracing at the bar, need vaccine passport and no standing at the bar. They’ve got the plastic shields up at bar which at least allows them to stick 2-3 tables and chairs, to get a few more folk in the place.

I’m quite surprised as I thought they had moved forward from their more severe and crippling (to business) lockdown measures.

I’m in Ireland with work this week and at my usual spot (Trim, Co. Meath). Lovely little town and 40 mins max from my main customer in Dublin. I popped out for a Guinness and they are still track & tracing at the bar, need vaccine passport and no standing at the bar. They’ve got the plastic shields up at bar which at least allows them to stick 2-3 tables and chairs, to get a few more folk in the place.
I’m quite surprised as I thought they had moved forward from their more severe and crippling (to business) lockdown measures.
Norn Iron was the exact same at the weekend although they finally relaxed some restrictions at midnight last night. Popular pubs in Belfast booked tables only and no standing with table service only everywhere and track and trace plus 3 max in taxis. Down Royal was all managed queues, one way systems and it was vaccine passports at a cordon then again at the entrance. Rangers fans flying back on Thursday thought Scotland was heaven in comparison !!!