Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

I love the fact you are taking a stand and not showing something you already have.  

You’re just like that guy standing in front of the tanks in Tiananmen Square - a truly modern hero for our age.  

There’s always one idiot in the village that can’t take a simple question, relevant to topic at face value without trying to be smarmy and smart- arsed with their needless, “look at me” reply. Thanks anyway for taking the time to respond. 

59 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Was thinking that 22 was quite a lot for a wee island, until google told me there's nearly a million living on it, not sure if that includes tourists.

Last time I had a look the other week, the Canaries were something like 30 per 100k cases versus our 300-350 cases. This is where it all gets confusing in every region as we move out of this phase. I caught the end of Juventus- Roma on telly last night and the crowd was clearly limited and spaced out whereas in UK we are back to full stadia. It was only the other month you had to wear a mask anywhere outdoors, including on the beach in Spain unless swimming in the water.

In a nutshell we are far less likely presently to catch this virus on Tenerife than here.

4 minutes ago, deegee said:

Last time I had a look the other week, the Canaries were something like 30 per 100k cases versus our 300-350 cases. This is where it all gets confusing in every region as we move out of this phase. I caught the end of Juventus- Roma on telly last night and the crowd was clearly limited and spaced out whereas in UK we are back to full stadia. It was only the other month you had to wear a mask anywhere outdoors, including on the beach in Spain unless swimming in the water.

In a nutshell we are far less likely presently to catch this virus on Tenerife than here.

Quite, which makes it even more strange that you're happy to go by the rules in Ireland, but would rather boycott your own club than agree to them here.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Quite, which makes it even more strange that you're happy to go by the rules in Ireland, but would rather boycott your own club than agree to them here.

I needed in in Ireland to eat/ sit indoors with a customer last month as well as travel with Aer Lingus (checked at Glasgow). I had no sway over their rules which were different to ours at many points this year. I had to goto Donegal in early Spring and could sit indoors with a beer whereas my contractor man who lived literally up the road couldn’t enter the hotel. In Derry City the rules were different to a town 10 mins drive away. 

None of this really is relevant to your point but my point is that I fully accepted the rules as part of my job going to a different country 6 weeks ago but I’m really not keen on supporting this circus over here when we have 85% or so vaccinated and everywhere open for the past two months. It’s a pointless virtue- signalling exercise which tbh I would probably agreed was useful in Springtime this year but is now an overreach of Government, in my humble opinion.

1 minute ago, deegee said:

I needed in in Ireland to eat/ sit indoors with a customer last month as well as travel with Aer Lingus (checked at Glasgow). I had no sway over their rules which were different to ours at many points this year. I had to goto Donegal in early Spring and could sit indoors with a beer whereas my contractor man who lived literally up the road couldn’t enter the hotel. In Derry City the rules were different to a town 10 mins drive away. 

None of this really is relevant to your point but my point is that I fully accepted the rules as part of my job going to a different country 6 weeks ago but I’m really not keen on supporting this circus over here when we have 85% or so vaccinated and everywhere open for the past two months. It’s a pointless virtue- signalling exercise which tbh I would probably agreed was useful in Springtime this year but is now an overreach of Government, in my humble opinion.

Fair enough, but in a country which is still close to leading the world in infection rates, the rules seem pretty mild to cope with, especially in comparison with Ireland and other European countries with far lower case rates.

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Fair enough, but in a country which is still close to leading the world in infection rates, the rules seem pretty mild to cope with, especially in comparison with Ireland and other European countries with far lower case rates.

I totally agree mate; the rules aren’t too harsh in the grand scheme of things and I want nothing more than for all of us to be as safe and healthily as possible. It’s just my view that we should be critiquing every government decision, especially the ones that are clearly non- medical and (like probably every government throughout the world) have a slight self- interested agenda but impacts on the population.

1 hour ago, deegee said:

There’s always one idiot in the village that can’t take a simple question, relevant to topic at face value without trying to be smarmy and smart- arsed with their needless, “look at me” reply. Thanks anyway for taking the time to respond. 

Yours was the “look at me”. You wanted to go t a game where you’ve bought a ticket, when you have a vaccine passport, and refuse to show it because you are the man!

No question there.  You want to be the hero.  Well played,  I hope you get everything you want 

11 hours ago, Michael W said:

Another thread there where the effect of schools going back, especially the secondaries, is sidelined. 10-19 is currently miles ahead in the English infection chart. It might not have shot up immediately like it did in Scotland (which thankfully decreased pretty quickly), but the same trend is happening even if the rise is slower

Good point, of the 242,718 new cases in England over the past 7 days, 110,615 (45.6%) were in those aged 0-19, with 82,293 (33.9%) in those aged 10-19

Far from being a worrying trend, this is a massive dub for the vaccines. This data should be used to promote the benefits of the vaccine, whilst leaving it up to personal choice to take it.

Hopefully the UK Gov are thinking along the same lines, and restrictions exclusively on adults to combat infection rates among children remain absolutely nowhere near the discussion table.

Good point, of the 242,718 new cases in England over the past 7 days, 110,615 (45.6%) were in those aged 0-19, with 82,293 (33.9%) in those aged 10-19
Far from being a worrying trend, this is a massive dub for the vaccines. This data should be used to promote the benefits of the vaccine, whilst leaving it up to personal choice to take it.
Hopefully the UK Gov are thinking along the same lines, and restrictions exclusively on adults to combat infection rates among children remain absolutely nowhere near the discussion table.
Problem with this plan is they actually wanted 100k cases a day for a few weeks before winter. This 35-50k persistent is almost like no man's land.

14 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

A variant of a variant? It's been a while right enough.

I hate to sound pessimistic but I really hope this isn't the early groundwork for restrictions being brought back in.

Doesn't sound like the experts are too worried about it.