Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Oh dear.

"The science"

Is there a study in that article that says masks don't reduce transmission? you complete roaster.

You literally just need to compare what has happened to the course of Covid in Scotland and England since 19th July to see they make no difference in the general population.

Even if there was a negligible benefit, the fact ~90% of the adult population is now vaccinated, including ~99% of the most vulnerable, completely tips the scales in there being no reason to wear them whatsoever.

Edited by Elixir

‘The vast majority of people across Scotland like the measures we are having to take to control this virus’ 

The same vast majority who are fed up with wearing face masks and don't want a vaccine passport? 
F74BD968-FA66-405F-A030-2E06E1752F13.png.bfbedcdafa11c9ad681cd1ea06b9f86c.png

Edited by Lyle Lanley

5 minutes ago, Elixir said:

You literally just need to compare what has happened to the course of Covid in Scotland and England since 19th July to see they make no difference in the general population.

Even if there was a negligible benefit, the fact ~90% of the adult population is now vaccinated, including ~99% of the most vulnerable, completely tips the scales in there being no reason to wear them whatsoever.

No point arguing with him.  He’s latched onto the idea that masks will save the world because a scientist said so.  He even admitted he doesn’t wear them himself so he’s clearly trolling.

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I don't think the difference between scotland and england is masks. Or that masks wearing percentage is really any different in either country.

Someone was saying they were in Cumbria with no masks, and Cumbria is up there as one of the most ridddled regions.

You keep saying there is no reason to wear them. Do you wear a mask in all areas you should? And for some reason you are only willing to compare Scotland with England when if you look at SE Asia countries who use masks properly you see the effects masks can have.

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

No point arguing with him.  He’s latched onto the idea that masks will save the world because a scientist said so.  He even admitted he doesn’t wear them himself so he’s clearly trolling.

masks working to stop covid transmission is a truth that is diminshed by people not wearing masks. hth

People just don't want to be held accountable for their own actions. Folk want coddled. Plenty of people out there who have had a positive test and not been wearing a mask and they don't want to hear that they are responsible for spreading Covid. So they start the bullshit argument that masks don't work because they don't accept their own failings.

I accept that my behaviour is shite and I would never harass someone not wearing a mask. I know I am part of the problem. I know I am breaking the law when i walk out the East stand at Fir Park with no mask on. And I don't care. Because the rest of society doesn't care. Accept we are an absolutely shite country and that if as a whole we had any sense of collective moral or social responsibility people would have been more dilligent in wearing masks and Covid would not have been as damaging as it has been.

But you can all tell yourselves Masks Don't Work and you aren't part of the problem.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Imagine living through the last 18 months and thinking "masks work" How does one arrive at that conclusion with a straight face?

😂

Imagine being confronted by overwhelming evidence that masks work and denying it.

https://www.bma.org.uk/news-and-opinion/prepared-for-the-worst-how-south-korea-fought-off-covid-19

‘We didn’t cancel anything,’ says Prof Park. ‘We never had a lockdown. No business or hospitals got shut. The Korean people are also very obedient and very responsible towards their fellow humans,’ she adds. ‘It was described as a “big snowy day”, an extended one, obviously. On such days, Korean people just stay at home.’ While restaurants remained open, few had much business, she adds.

Social-distancing advice was issued by its Government to reduce meetings, travel and contacts and to encourage hygiene measures such as regular handwashing and the etiquette of coughing into sleeves with masks on.

South Korea avoided the worldwide shortages of PPE (personal protective equipment) that hit the UK so hard, alarming and distressing its health and care staff.

Such was its supply, each citizen could buy two N95 masks weekly for the equivalent of £1. ‘Koreans demanded to have N95 masks and they got them,’ says Prof Park. ‘They were all wearing it. They still do. That’s the norm.’ They’re delivered to the door of anyone aged over 65. Healthcare staff had advanced respirators.

8 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Someone was saying they were in Cumbria with no masks, and Cumbria is up there as one of the most ridddled regions.

That was me.

I was indeed in Cumbria, England, where masks are not mandatory. It’s apparently up there as one of the most Covid riddled regions.

I live in Scotland, where masks are mandatory. Scotland had many of the most Covid riddled regions in Europe.

With or without masks being mandatory then, regions can be ‘Covid riddled’, so it seems they make little difference. Get the mandatory aspect of them in Scotland to fcuk. Absolute fcuk. Make it discretionary, Scottish Government can encourage it all they want. Anyone who wants to continue wearing a mask will be perfectly free to do so. In any situation, indoors or outdoors. Wear one in bed for all I care. Just get the mandatory aspect kicked to fcuk Sturgeon. 

20 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

That was me.

I was indeed in Cumbria, England, where masks are not mandatory. It’s apparently up there as one of the most Covid riddled regions.

I live in Scotland, where masks are mandatory. Scotland had many of the most Covid riddled regions in Europe.

With or without masks being mandatory then, regions can be ‘Covid riddled’, so it seems they make little difference. Get the mandatory aspect of them in Scotland to fcuk. Absolute fcuk. Make it discretionary, Scottish Government can encourage it all they want. Anyone who wants to continue wearing a mask will be perfectly free to do so. In any situation, indoors or outdoors. Wear one in bed for all I care. Just get the mandatory aspect kicked to fcuk Sturgeon. 

The problem with that is that masks are good at stopping people who are infected from infecting others.

If people who are out there not wearing masks in some settings are coming into places where vulnerable people are the vulnerable person wearing a mask is not getting great protection. So the mask mandate empowers these people to tell others to put on masks in these settings.

Should someone who is susceptible to death via covid be put at more risk to participate in society? The govt at least give them the legal high ground to keep maskless individuals away from them

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The problem with that is that masks are good at stopping people who are infected from infecting others.

If people who are out there not wearing masks in some settings are coming into places where vulnerable people are the vulnerable person wearing a mask is not getting great protection. So the mask mandate empowers these people to tell others to put on masks in these settings.

Should someone who is susceptible to death via covid be put at more risk to participate in society? The govt at least give them the legal high ground to keep maskless individuals away from them

I don't remember seeing you post this shite two years ago to stop the vulnerable getting flu.  The same flu where vaccines are 45% effective in an average year.

Take your masks and shove them up your arse.

10 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

In my experience, the majority of people wearing masks are wearing useless pieces of patterned shite, bought from the same sort of place that sells mobile phone skins…. Or makeshift snood type things. It’s either that, or wearing them under their nose, scaring the shit out of any vulnerable people nearby, should the fcukers sneeze.

Gie’s a shout when Sturgeon bans useless pieces of shit and makes everyone wear proper medical grade type masks, thus giving the vulnerable people you speak of more peace of mind.

Get the mandatory wearing of tartan or fake leoparskin polyester £1 shite on your chops to absolute fcuk. Now.

Edited by pozbaird

Just now, pozbaird said:

In my experience, the majority of people wearing masks are wearing useless pieces of patterned shite, bought from the same sort of place that sells mobile phone skins…. Or makeshift snood type things.

Gie’s a shout when Sturgeon bans useless pieces of shit and makes everyone wear proper medical grade type masks, thus giving the vulnerable people you speak of feel safer.

Those masks are around 50% as effective as lowest grade surgical masks. So still better than nothing.

It would obviously be better if everyone was wearing better masks but since we can't even get people to wear masks, getting them to wear the right masks is an even bigger hurdle.

Although it could be argued that the lax attitude to masks stems from the govt allowing these types of masks which was only really about protecting PPE supplies for health care workers.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Probably brought on by the combined stress of trying to get the vaccine passport app to work, the website to allow them to login to get their paper copy, the phone line to be corrected to prevent it re-directing you to their broken website and then hanging up on you following on from months of trying to understand the convoluted and conflicting rules imposed by the Sturgeon, Leitch and Swinney show.

I'm guessing.

Slap a mask on.  It’ll probably prevent heart disease as well.

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Presumably that's only because the SG haven't broken any laws.

Mass civil disobedience and a refusal to implement this law will see it dead in days.

I don't understand why the affected industries doesn't get together and say "Nope".

They must genuinely believe she's actually going to try and shut everything down again.

The govt don't have the ability to shut down lots of businesses especially with the ending of the furlough scheme so closing whole sectors is a complete non-starter.

What they can do is threaten to fine the owners of these businesses for non-compliance.

Although how many businesses are actually going to be visited by the police to make sure they are doing it correctly. It is highly likely that most establishments can flout this with absolutely zero reprecussions. If you are a more public business, i.e. a football club or a prominent night club in a city centre you are going to be in the spotlight so unlikely to get away with it.

16 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I'm sure the same band of grasses that tweet the First Minister because someone didn't wear a mask on the train will be more than keen to start shopping businesses that have not implemented vaccine passports. 

The vast majority on Twitter are pissed off this evening. 

29 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

The govt don't have the ability to shut down lots of businesses especially with the ending of the furlough scheme so closing whole sectors is a complete non-starter.

What they can do is threaten to fine the owners of these businesses for non-compliance.

Although how many businesses are actually going to be visited by the police to make sure they are doing it correctly. It is highly likely that most establishments can flout this with absolutely zero reprecussions. If you are a more public business, i.e. a football club or a prominent night club in a city centre you are going to be in the spotlight so unlikely to get away with it.

Yes they do.  With the “emergency” powers they have and are trying their hardest to keep.  They could shut down anything they wanted tomorrow.

They likely won’t because they know they don’t have the ability to justify it as proportionate without providing fiscal help.  They’ll blame that on Westminster stopping furlough though and their supporters will lap it up.