Coronavirus (COVID-19)

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I've deliberately held off booking because it was IMHO an absolute no brainer that the rules would change. 

Edit to add fully agree not everyone had the luxury of delaying.

I did the opposite and dived in with a booking guessing the ScotGov would cave.  Prices now long gone.

Unless you're booking for a family I couldn't see the point of switching to an English airport for the sake of a 30 euro preflight test and the difference between an antigen and pcr test when you get back, whenever the latter comes into effect. Slightly less hassle and paperwork to worry about though, so all good.

Got an email from our daughter's school saying that someone in her class has tested positive. The wife is saying that we should stay in this weekend, even though the email said that the pupils in the class were low risk and should still come to school. 

As a compromise I did an LFT which came back negative. No way am I self isolating for the weekend on the basis of this!

Think she just wants to get out of a visit to the in-laws that we have planned for tomorrow...

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Got an email from our daughter's school saying that someone in her class has tested positive. The wife is saying that we should stay in this weekend, even though the email said that the pupils in the class were low risk and should still come to school. 

As a compromise I did an LFT which came back negative. No way am I self isolating for the weekend on the basis of this!

Think she just wants to get out of a visit to the in-laws that we have planned for tomorrow...

She sounds like a keeper. :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Unless you're booking for a family I couldn't see the point of switching to an English airport for the sake of a 30 euro preflight test and the difference between an antigen and pcr test when you get back, whenever the latter comes into effect. Slightly less hassle and paperwork to worry about though, so all good.

It’s the consequences of testing positive while you are away, not necessarily the cost or inconvenience that was my worry.

23 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I've deliberately held off booking because it was IMHO an absolute no brainer that the rules would change. 

Edit to add fully accept not everyone had the luxury of delaying.

I try and book 9-11mths out as ive found it coincides with travel operators sale periods for when I like to travel, you’ll note Virgin and British Airways sales have either ended or end very soon, so for a lot of folks the best value time to book has kinda ended and people who might have flown to say Florida with Virgin from Edinburgh or Glasgow with TUI etc are now going via Manchester.
Jet2 do still represent excellent value for money and have come out of the pandemic with a really good name so there is still some low cost options, although some will probably be looking at Leeds Bradford and Manchester with them instead now again due to the delays. I cant help but wonder if the Greens had an influence in it to help reduce air travel? 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Ive never been sold on the wet market coincidence thing, is it possible that they did release a lab engineered virus in a cave to infect bats, yes, could it be that one of the bats in this cave ended up as bushmeat, yes, did the chinese government do everything they could to minimise any investigation, absofuckinlutely, yet we haven’t added any significant sanctions or anything. Should be seizing chinese assets and state owned companies bases and products in the UK to help pay for this. 

If you read the article the research was commissioned and funded by the USA. 

It was not the cost but the consequence of testing positive abroad with the pre-departure test.

Even if you didn't test positive you truly couldn’t relax until that negative result came through.

People will have booked to fly from English airports to avoid that stress.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I try and book 9-11mths out as ive found it coincides with travel operators sale periods for when I like to travel, you’ll note Virgin and British Airways sales have either ended or end very soon, so for a lot of folks the best value time to book has kinda ended and people who might have flown to say Florida with Virgin from Edinburgh or Glasgow with TUI etc are now going via Manchester.
Jet2 do still represent excellent value for money and have come out of the pandemic with a really good name so there is still some low cost options, although some will probably be looking at Leeds Bradford and Manchester with them instead now again due to the delays. I cant help but wonder if the Greens had an influence in it to help reduce air travel? 

We went Jet2 to Crete last month, pretty typical local accommodation but dead clean and the owners were really decent, for excatly the same holiday next year they wanted more than 3 times what we paid. I think simple supply and demand will wllow travel companies to print money next year as people will be desperate to get away but in the longer term being greedy may not be the best policy. 

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Well, theres the whole point that especially in school holiday times English airports/major hubs tend to be cheaper. Take Florida because that’s where I do most of my travel, on average (and yes there are exceptions), im about £150-250 pp cheaper. Its less hassle now, but the damage has kinda already been done in terms of Scottish airports. 

7 minutes ago, ddfg said:

We went Jet2 to Crete last month, pretty typical local accommodation but dead clean and the owners were really decent, for excatly the same holiday next year they wanted more than 3 times what we paid. I think simple supply and demand will wllow travel companies to print money next year as people will be desperate to get away but in the longer term being greedy may not be the best policy. 

They provide a decent service, not sure how much of that they’ve absorbed from the hotel owners? Ive looked at the flight price aspect of their packages etc and they remain the best value for money in european travel terms. 

5 minutes ago, Detournement said:

So they share responsibility.

I don't agree. The funding body DAPRA received a grant proposal. Like many such places they would have reviewed it to consider the benefits and merit of the proposal. And if they then funded it - something they have not confirmed - so be it. In fact they do not confirm even reviewing the grant proposal.

Without knowing how the virus got from the confines of the lab to the outside world, I don't see how we can hold the funding body accountable.

It's like blaming a bank for giving a mortgage on a house that is subsequently used to grow cannabis. Is the bank a sharer of responsibility?

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I don't agree. The funding body DAPRA received a grant proposal. Like many such places they would have reviewed it to consider the benefits and merit of the proposal. And if they then funded it - something they have not confirmed - so be it. In fact they do not confirm even reviewing the grant proposal.

Without knowing how the virus got from the confines of the lab to the outside world, I don't see how we can hold the funding body accountable.

It's like blaming a bank for giving a mortgage on a house that is subsequently used to grow cannabis. Is the bank a sharer of responsibility?

The comparison here would be if a bank gave a loan on the specific condition it would be used for growing drugs.

I don't think either of the two biggest economies in the world will ever be held responsible but it's clear that the wet market origin that was pushed last year was diversionary bullshit.

Just now, Detournement said:

The comparison here would be if a bank gave a loan on the specific condition it would be used for growing drugs.

I don't think either of the two biggest economies in the world will ever be held responsible but it's clear that the wet market origin that was pushed last year was diversionary bullshit.

I agree entirely on your last point. Geneticists reckon that the reason this differs so much from other SARS viruses is a little bit of protein that appears man-made. SO either a lab was working on the virus (as per the leaked grant proposal) or the virus just emerged in bats and within no time at all was able to breach the species barrier.