Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 hours ago, Elixir said:

I remember saying this in March 2020 to a clown at my work only to be told 'colds don't kill people (they do) and it's much worse than flu'! It's literally standard grade biology that once the previously naive population has acquired enough immunity through infection and/or eventual vaccination that this would be the end game for such a respiratory virus.

Sarah Gilbert has been magnificent throughout, but it just shows you the climate of fear we have been living through for 18 months that only now will facts like this start to become accepted in the mainstream media and by society at large.

When you quote anything from the Telegraph on here you’re leaving yourself open to being ‘in thrall to the right wing, fascist, Tory loving UK media’.

As it is, Gilbert is immense and gives off a sense of real knowledge and professionalism. Wish we had more like her.

42 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Am I remembering correctly that sometime last year the BBC had an article about traditional viruses, possibly wintery ones, bodying covid out of the way?

I only ask because cases are dropping but anecdotally speaking, since this all started, iv never heard more folk coughing/spluttering/talking about being ill, colds returning etc than now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58624295

They've probably recycled it for this year. 

I've had 4 colds or similar since June. All pretty mild, but a pain in the arse.

Should probably add I didn't get any colds etc between January and April. Given that that period was boring and shite, I'll take the colds as the price of not being banned from doing things. 

Edited by Michael W

Is there some kind of weird thing that happens in regards to testing after having the virus?

I had it a fortnight ago, self-isolation finished on Sunday. Back to work yesterday (Monday and Tuesday were holidays) and our middle daughter has just had a positive test result. So I'm off work again to get tested. But our HR person seems to think there's something different happens in cases like mine?

17 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No word from London yet on the date for changing the day 2 test from PCR to antigen either.

But at least they’ve cancelled the test prior to returning.

Apparently, the delay on day2 is down to shortage of antigen testing capacity. Companies should be up to speed in a few weeks.

Why are you bothered about London?

Separate jurisdiction.

Is there some kind of weird thing that happens in regards to testing after having the virus?
I had it a fortnight ago, self-isolation finished on Sunday. Back to work yesterday (Monday and Tuesday were holidays) and our middle daughter has just had a positive test result. So I'm off work again to get tested. But our HR person seems to think there's something different happens in cases like mine?
If you have had a positive pcr in last 90 days you shouldn't need to test or isolate again.
Edit: link to NHS Lanarkshire
https://www.nhslanarkshire.scot.nhs.uk/covid-19-school-update/
Assume that is the same elsewhere

Just now, Dawson Park Boy said:

Apparently, the delay on day2 is down to shortage of antigen testing capacity. Companies should be up to speed in a few weeks.

Why are you bothered about London?

Separate jurisdiction.

I'm going on holiday next month as well, it would be good to know. Still waiting for Portugal to make up its mind on accepting UK proof of vaccine too to avoid a pre flight test on this end. 

19 hours ago, Elixir said:

We already have over 90% of adults vaxxed. Quite remarkable uptake that not many would have forseen a year ago. Those who are left will never be convinced.

17 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I'm not sure about that.

I think a lot of people probably will take the vaccines after passports are introduced.

On a point of principle though, forcing medicine into people who don't want it by denying them access to parts of society is not the behaviour of a civilised country.

I can use the example of my bosses 2 daughters, both uni graduates who are both vaccine hesitant (In part as one of their relatives posts anti vaccine stuff on social media)

Both in the last 4 months have caught covid causing the office to close as we enter through their family home.

Both still showed no sign of getting a vaccination and one said as ive had it i wont get it again.

Its only now due to our vaccine passport and more importantly for them the French rules which will effect them on the family ski holiday that they have finally decided its time to step forward.

The whole international travel thing could tip a few more undecided into getting it.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm going on holiday next month as well, it would be good to know. Still waiting for Portugal to make up its mind on accepting UK proof of vaccine too to avoid a pre flight test on this end. 

There may be light at the end of the tunnel on that.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/hopes-grow-for-eu-acceptance-of-nhs-covid-pass-30575?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Midday Bulletin

15 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/shapps-half-term-switch-from-pcr-testing-in-the-balance-30574?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Midday Bulletin

The transport secretary said test providers had been focused on PCR and were not ready for mass lateral flow testing.

Shapps was answering questions from parliament’s transport committee. Committee member Ben Bradshaw said the government was putting travel’s half-term reboot in danger.

“Why wait until possibly the end of October to switch from PCR to lateral flow tests?” Bradshaw asked. “It is exactly the same companies that provide the Day 2 PCR tests as provide lateral flow tests.

“They could provide them now if you just changed the rules now, so why are you potentially jeopardising the very important half-term for the industry which would be a lifesaver for many companies and dragging your feet on this?”

Shapps said the matter was one for the Department for Health and Social Care, which understood the importance of the issue to the travel industry, but added:

“My understanding is the ramp up of supply of lateral flow through the private testing sector has some way to go, in as much as they have been almost entirely involved in providing PCRs currently.

“I think it’s just a question of scale, we’re going from a situation where they probably provide the low number of thousands to probably millions of tests very quickly and they need a few weeks to scale up on it.”

Shapps also said he would not step in to regulate prices charged by test companies.

“I’m a believer in the market, that competition drives prices down. I hope we see lateral flow tests for much more reasonable prices,” he said.

Technical changes were also required to Passenger Locator Forms before lateral flow tests could be accepted for travel.

“The sooner this can happen the better,” Shapps said.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Turkey is the same.

At the moment they don’t accept double vaccination certificates. Crazy!!

25 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/shapps-half-term-switch-from-pcr-testing-in-the-balance-30574?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Midday Bulletin

The transport secretary said test providers had been focused on PCR and were not ready for mass lateral flow testing.

Shapps was answering questions from parliament’s transport committee. Committee member Ben Bradshaw said the government was putting travel’s half-term reboot in danger.

“Why wait until possibly the end of October to switch from PCR to lateral flow tests?” Bradshaw asked. “It is exactly the same companies that provide the Day 2 PCR tests as provide lateral flow tests.

“They could provide them now if you just changed the rules now, so why are you potentially jeopardising the very important half-term for the industry which would be a lifesaver for many companies and dragging your feet on this?”

Shapps said the matter was one for the Department for Health and Social Care, which understood the importance of the issue to the travel industry, but added:

“My understanding is the ramp up of supply of lateral flow through the private testing sector has some way to go, in as much as they have been almost entirely involved in providing PCRs currently.

“I think it’s just a question of scale, we’re going from a situation where they probably provide the low number of thousands to probably millions of tests very quickly and they need a few weeks to scale up on it.”

Shapps also said he would not step in to regulate prices charged by test companies.

“I’m a believer in the market, that competition drives prices down. I hope we see lateral flow tests for much more reasonable prices,” he said.

Technical changes were also required to Passenger Locator Forms before lateral flow tests could be accepted for travel.

“The sooner this can happen the better,” Shapps said.

That can't be true surely when everyone is being encouraged to take two LFT's a week and has been for months.  Who's been manufacturing the LFT's all this time?

ETA is this possibly a ploy to allow the providers to get rid of their existing stock of PCR tests before switching to LFT?

Edited by Left Back

4,024 new cases of COVID-19 reported (3598 yesterday, 7 day average 4668 one week ago)

53,811 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results

8.0% of these were positive (7.8% yesterday, 7 day average 10.8% one week ago)

37 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (31 yesterday, 26 one week ago)

86 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (82 yesterday, 94 one week ago)

1,057 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 (1076 yesterday, 1054 one week ago)

4,166,056 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,818,428 have received their second dose

4 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

When you quote anything from the Telegraph on here you’re leaving yourself open to being ‘in thrall to the right wing, fascist, Tory loving UK media’.

As it is, Gilbert is immense and gives off a sense of real knowledge and professionalism. Wish we had more like her.

Even Sky News are reporting it now! The zealots will be turning on the creator of the Oxford vaccine for this!

Meanwhile, SAGE get it embarrassingly wrong yet again:

Are The Main Event ever wrong?

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Am I remembering correctly that sometime last year the BBC had an article about traditional viruses, possibly wintery ones, bodying covid out of the way?

I only ask because cases are dropping but anecdotally speaking, since this all started, iv never heard more folk coughing/spluttering/talking about being ill, colds returning etc than now.

Yes, viruses compete with each other. It's something that's not fully understood.