Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-coronavirus-winter-whitty-b1920176.html

Latest predictions. 7k hospitalisations per day by next month. Hopefully at accurate as the 200k cases Ferguson predicted.

7k a day is roughly 7 times what it is now, higher than it's ever been, and cases are starting to fall. How do these people keep a straight face?

I see they have also quoted Vallance out of context to make it sound like he advocated hard restrictions. Absolute charlatans.

Edited by Todd_is_God

25 minutes ago, superbigal said:

To the undoubted medical experts on this thread.

The Flu Vaccination evolves every few months to deal with all the new strains.

The current covid vaccines are less efficient in stopping actual infection with the prevalent Delta variant.  Dropped from around 80% for Wuhan and Kent variant to 50% for Delta infections (Still at high levels for stopping symptoms and illness).

Unless it has passed me by I would have expected new evolved Pfizer, Moderna & AZ versions that cope with the differences in Delta.

Anyone got any reference as I cant find anything obvious ?

While Pfizer and BioNTech believe a third dose of BNT162b2 has the potential to preserve the highest levels of protective efficacy against all currently tested variants including Delta, the companies are remaining vigilant and are developing an updated version of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine that targets the full spike protein of the Delta variant. The first batch of the mRNA for the trial has already been manufactured at BioNTech’s facility in Mainz, Germany. The Companies anticipate the clinical studies to begin in August, subject to regulatory approvals.

https://investors.biontech.de/news-releases/news-release-details/pfizer-and-biontech-provide-update-booster-program-light-delta

The Internet has been pretty much an essential for 20+ years.
Not much sympathy for old c***s who have stubbornly ignored it since the late nineties and are now complaining they don’t know how to use it.

It's essential for you, it's not essential for everyone and there's no reason it should be.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-coronavirus-winter-whitty-b1920176.html

Latest predictions. 7k hospitalisations per day by next month. Hopefully at accurate as the 200k cases Ferguson predicted.

This article discusses that 7k number briefly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58565061

"One model suggests infection rates could rise so much that admissions may hit 7,000 a day in England by mid-October, nearly 10 times what it is now. Most experts do not think that is a realistic scenario though."

1 minute ago, Left Back said:

This article discusses that 7k number briefly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58565061

"One model suggests infection rates could rise so much that admissions may hit 7,000 a day in England by mid-October, nearly 10 times what it is now. Most experts do not think that is a realistic scenario though."

Best publish it anyway so journalists can start screaming for lockdown again. 

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's essential for you, it's not essential for everyone and there's no reason it should be.

And it's not essential in this case either.

You can also get a copy of your vaccine status by phoning the COVID-19 Status Helpline on 0808 196 8565.

26 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

7k a day is roughly 7 times what it is now, higher than it's ever been, and cases are starting to fall. How do these people keep a straight face?

I see they have also quoted Vallance out of context to make it sound like he advocated hard restrictions. Absolute charlatans.

I was thinking I'd read it wrong and they meant 7k in hospitals but it's already over that just now.

Seems to be utter bullshit if the vaccines are doing their job.

29 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The Internet has been pretty much an essential for 20+ years.

Not much sympathy for old c***s who have stubbornly ignored it since the late nineties and are now complaining they don’t know how to use it.

Exactly. I'm on the internet but it's still in black and white. I'll upgrade soon, when my rental agreement is due.

20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It’s getting close to essential for anyone who wants to be part of modern society.  There will be folk with genuine reasons for not being connected, including economic ones.  However many more will just not bother and have to accept that there’s a downside to that.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

It's ironic that the number to phone if you don't have access to the Internet...is published on the Internet.   Is it advertised anywhere else?

I'm sure the old gentleman in question would do the same as everything else in his life, like applying for a bus pass or a season ticket, and ask somebody in person or by phone.

Just now, Steven W said:

Lads - there is not a soul in the country who doesn't have the internet, yet wants to go to nightclubs and gigs at the Hydro

There are plenty of old duffers who might want to go to a large football game though. 

Scott Gardiner was interviewed on the Wyness Shuffle podcast at the end of last season and he detailed the difficulties they had setting up older Caley season ticket holders to use the stream and other onlin services during the pandemic.  Quite a few of the older fans didn't have email addresses etc, he siad it was a big challange.  Not a big leap to suggest that they might not have smart phones etc.

Of course, our stream was the worst in Scotland last season so maybe it was for the best.