Coronavirus (COVID-19)

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Banished from society is overstating it a bit.

- Nightclubs and adult entertainment venues.
- Unseated indoor live events, with more than 500 people in the audience.
- Unseated outdoor live events, with more than 4,000 people in the audience.
- Any event, of any nature, which has more than 10,000 people in attendance

For now. Once a framework is in place, it would be very easy to extend that to other settings if there was a surge in cases in the winter, for example. A classic example of a slippery slope.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

For now. Once a framework is in place, it would be very easy to extend that to other settings if there was a surge in cases in the winter, for example. A classic example of a slippery slope.

The dribbling morons at the press briefing will be demanding it when cases, astonishingly, don't start falling after the passport is introduced. 

Back in the day the same arguments were made against seatbelts and indeed still are by some numpties.
Which is fair enough if in 50+ years time the vaccine is still required and its proven to have no serious adverse side effects then the people arguing against it would be complete nutters but you'll never get a society free of people like that.

Just now, Empty It said:
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:
Back in the day the same arguments were made against seatbelts and indeed still are by some numpties.

Which is fair enough if in 50+ years time the vaccine is still required and its proven to have no serious adverse side effects then the people arguing against it would be complete nutters but you'll never get a society free of people like that.

OK...let's wait 50 years to see what transpires.  In the meantime...

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I remember folk saying it would slow you down jumping out of the car if your brakes went.

24 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
30 minutes ago, Aladdin said:
Is it?  Why would you not want it?

I'm double jagged but don't see why my 17 year old son should need to get it when he's fit and healthy with no underlying health conditions so likely to cope fine with getting actual Covid and probably have a better long term immune system getting Covid as opposed to a vaccine he doesn't need.

Still a few unknowns and uncertainties there though.  

What's the downside of him getting the vaccine? 

6 minutes ago, Hard Graft said:

I take it there will be exemptions to the vaccine passport for the Climate Change Conference - surely Sturgeon will not be insisting all visitors, including those from abroad, have a vaccine passport? 

If there are more than 10,000 folk there I don't see why they would need an exemption? 

11 minutes ago, Empty It said:
17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
What do you think it might do to you?

I don't, hence why I've been vaccinated. On the flip side all my limbs might fall off in 5 years.

16 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

We JuSt DoNt kNoW!

Aren't these the same arguments just presented from a different angle by both sides of the debate?

Again, for the greater good.  It helps to reduce onwards transmission to those more vulnerable, even if that reduction is not as great when considering the Delta variant.
The whole argument about a person's individual risk smacks of the "Im alright Jack" position some adopt when discussing WFH and other restrictions and are rightly criticised for.
Scotland truly is turning into Sandford.

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What do you think it might do to you?

Taking any medicine carries a risk to the individual, however small.  There may be larger unknown risks with these vaccines that will only come to light over time.  It does happen occasionally that medicines are approved and later withdrawn when these risks are deemed too great.  

Approval is not a 100% guarantee any medicine is safe.  That’s unfortunately the swaying factor for some people.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Instead of going through the window the seatbelt will cut you in two.

If I had money on any poster still driving a car with lap belts it would have been you sarge.

Glad you've got a classic still on the go.

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Taking any medicine carries a risk to the individual, however small.  There may be larger unknown risks with these vaccines that will only come to light over time.  It does happen occasionally that medicines are approved and later withdrawn when these risks are deemed too great.  

Approval is not a 100% guarantee any medicine is safe.  That’s unfortunately the swaying factor for some people.

A rational person would compare that theoretical risk against the known and very real risks of a bad dose of Covid.

Just now, welshbairn said:

A rational person would compare that theoretical risk against the known and very real risks of a bad dose of Covid.

Most have.  I don’t think it’s fair to say anyone that doesn’t want to be vaccinated is not being rational.  The JCVI originally said the risks of vaccinating young people outweighed the benefits.  That has now changed but those statements will have helped entrench a position.

5 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Sadly, this is indicative of the job done by anti-vaxxers on prophylactic medicine.  We do many things everyday that carry a risk - some big, some small, some known and some unknown. 

I would be far more concerned about the long term health implications of the the contents of processed foods that large quantities of the population, including myself, consume on a regular basis yet most don't give it a second thought.

3 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

The official symptoms aren’t great at all now by all accounts but my guess is they don’t want every child’s maw or da in the country to book a pcr test every time Chantelle sneezes like what happened last year when they ran out of tests when the schools returned so they are asking people to use the LFT as a triage of sorts. I guess in your case the system kinda works?

They're already testing close to 60,000 people in Scotland every single day, so if every dose of the sniffles isn't already being checked out then we have got a nation of paranoid malingerers.