Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Whilst I am not in favour of vaccine passports, I struggle to grasp the justification behind people not getting the vaccine. Unless you have a medical reason, why wouldn't you get it? You might be a young healthy person who wouldn't be particularly affected but, even against the delta variant, the vaccine reduces the risk of passing it on to others.
I'm more for carrot approaches rather than sticks but I just don't get the excusal of people not getting vaccinated.
FWIW I've been vaccinated and definitely not anti vax but my good lady is a scientist who done testing on the AstraZenica vaccine and more that half the people in her department are refusing to take it because how little it's been checked, the data was QCd with nothing to compare it to and they were told to just tick it off. There are many reasons why people could choose not to take a vaccine including medical conditions the scottish government don't see worthy enough of exemptions. Everybody should be entitled to the choice without being pressured.

26 minutes ago, Empty It said:
38 minutes ago, Aladdin said:
Whilst I am not in favour of vaccine passports, I struggle to grasp the justification behind people not getting the vaccine. Unless you have a medical reason, why wouldn't you get it? You might be a young healthy person who wouldn't be particularly affected but, even against the delta variant, the vaccine reduces the risk of passing it on to others.
I'm more for carrot approaches rather than sticks but I just don't get the excusal of people not getting vaccinated.

FWIW I've been vaccinated and definitely not anti vax but my good lady is a scientist who done testing on the AstraZenica vaccine and more that half the people in her department are refusing to take it because how little it's been checked, the data was QCd with nothing to compare it to and they were told to just tick it off. There are many reasons why people could choose not to take a vaccine including medical conditions the scottish government don't see worthy enough of exemptions. Everybody should be entitled to the choice without being pressured.

But surely there is enough real world data know to allay such concerns, assuming they were legitimate in the first place?

Apart from medical conditions, what other valid reasons are there for not being vaccinated?

But surely there is enough real world data know to allay such concerns, assuming they were legitimate in the first place?
Apart from medical conditions, what other valid reasons are there for not being vaccinated?
Why should someone be forced to get a vaccine to protect against a virus that most probably wont affect them?

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

Imagine banning people from partaking in society if they don't want to take a vaccine against a virus that even if they caught would most probably not effect them. If it was about suppressing the virus a negative test would be enough but it's about taking away peoples right of choice.

Banished from society is overstating it a bit.

- Nightclubs and adult entertainment venues.
- Unseated indoor live events, with more than 500 people in the audience.
- Unseated outdoor live events, with more than 4,000 people in the audience.
- Any event, of any nature, which has more than 10,000 people in attendance

Also less than a year in the "real world" shows absolutely nothing when it comes to possible long term side effects.

Banished from society is overstating it a bit.
 - Nightclubs and adult entertainment venues.
- Unseated indoor live events, with more than 500 people in the audience.
- Unseated outdoor live events, with more than 4,000 people in the audience.
- Any event, of any nature, which has more than 10,000 people in attendance
Sorry meant to put parts of society.

15 hours ago, Proposition Joe said:

"Nobody knew who I was until I carried the passport"

And then still nobody knew. 

Except every business you've visited and subsequently every advertising company who now have a perfect profile of your habits after an accidental leak of your confidential info. And the feds. 

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Why should someone be forced to get a vaccine to protect against a virus that most probably wont affect them?

I don't believe people should be forced to take it.  As I said above, getting vaccinated helps reduce transmission to those who may be more vulnerable.

24 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Not wanting to get it is a perfectly valid reason

Is it?  Why would you not want it?

I'm double jagged but don't see why my 17 year old son should need to get it when he's fit and healthy with no underlying health conditions so likely to cope fine with getting actual Covid and probably have a better long term immune system getting Covid as opposed to a vaccine he doesn't need.

14 hours ago, Detournement said:

The particles are much smaller than the holes in masks. It's like trying to keep midges from biting with a string vest. 

Put on a mask, fart and if you can smell it then we have the required proof. 

It might not be ideal, but if more folk adopted that approach it would certainly help improve social distancing. 

17 minutes ago, Empty It said:
42 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

You could make the same argument for not wearing a seat belt - you most probably won't ever be in an accident but still need to wear one.  

You could make the same argument for not wearing a seat belt - you most probably won't ever be in an accident but still need to wear one.  
Correct if seatbelts had very little testing and someone's concern was that it would do them more harm than good.

4 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
10 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

I'm double jagged but don't see why my 17 year old son should need to get it when he's fit and healthy with no underlying health conditions so likely to cope fine with getting actual Covid and probably have a better long term immune system getting Covid as opposed to a vaccine he doesn't need.

Again, for the greater good.  It helps to reduce onwards transmission to those more vulnerable, even if that reduction is not as great when considering the Delta variant.

The whole argument about a person's individual risk smacks of the "Im alright Jack" position some adopt when discussing WFH and other restrictions and are rightly criticised for.

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Correct if seatbelts had very little testing and someone's concern was that it would do them more harm than good.

What do you think it might do to you?

3 minutes ago, Empty It said:
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Back in the day the same arguments were made against seatbelts and indeed still are by some numpties.