Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

I assume there is no connection between 2 new cabinet posts being created for the Greens and this vote next week given the Greens have been consistently against vaccine passports since their inception.

It won't matter what the Greens do.

The Tories will support it because the UK govt is doing the same thing. And Labour will at best abstain because they are weirdos with no policies.

2 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

It won't matter what the Greens do.

The Tories will support it because the UK govt is doing the same thing. And Labour will at best abstain because they are weirdos with no policies.

I get your logic but I’d be utterly astonished if the Tories backed any SNP motion. They’ll find some minute difference in the wording or something from the uk policy to use it to disagree. 

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I've resigned my membership of the SNP today.

I recognise that the Scottish Government has to make tough decisions but the introduction of domestic vaccine passports is a step too far.

It completely goes against my views in terms of civil liberties.

They seem to paint themselves as the party of the free thinking liberal elite but implement policies which are anything but, yet the left think they are just smashing and go along with it all.

Absolutely done with them, hope they get rinsed at the next election, would genuinely love to see Humza, Swinney et al on the scrap heap and Nicola on the back benches. 

Notice they’ve not put the passports as a requirement for churches etc despite the demographic which frequents them being far more at risk of covid than a nightclub goer. Wonder if thats because of the volume of religious fundamentalists in the party?

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Vaccine passports for the football and nightclubs because it's running rampant through the covid factory schools, why not impose restrictions on schools like mandatory masks?

Because it isnt a measure to stop transmission, its to try and force the reluctant to be vaccinated.  As people have pointed out, with the poorer performance of the vaccines against Delta in terms of transmission, and the sheer number of exceptions and settings where they won't be required, they're utterly pointless as a tool to reduce case numbers.

5 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Vaccine passports for the football and nightclubs because it's running rampant through the covid factory schools, why not impose restrictions on schools like mandatory masks?

This didn't work before. 

The only way to curtail the spreading in schools is to shut them down and put them back on Team/Zoom. 

From the BBC website:

“The number of people in hospital has more than doubled since 20 August, from 312 to 629.

Intensive care admissions have not risen as quickly, but have still gone up from 34 to 59 over the same timescale.”

So in 11 days hospitalisation have double and the number in intensive care has increased by over 70%.

Yet people on here are bleating because the SG wants to introduce measures to reduce infections and encourage people to get vaccinated.

Fortunately the majority of people in Scotland will support this move.

You are completely wrong about this.

It's a ridiculous attack on civil liberties that won't actually achieve what they want it to achieve.

I've defended the Scottish Government about a lot of things during this pandemic - this action is just plain wrong.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Fitba and nightclubs getting shafted again.

And what about other settings like further/higher education where participation is not compulsory but nobody is going to get lobbed off a course for not being jabbed?

The SG's  desire to pretend that hotbeds of infection match up to their middle class daydreams is why they've made a roaring c**t of this pandemic, time and time over. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's a ridiculous attack on civil liberties that won't actually achieve what they want it to achieve.

I've defended the Scottish Government about a lot of things during this pandemic - this action is just plain wrong.

I find that if you're on the opposite side of an argument from old man danger then there is a 99.99 pct chance you're right.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

The SG's  desire to pretend that hotbeds of infection match up to their middle class daydreams is why they've made a roaring c**t of this pandemic, time and time over. 

This is it in a nutshell. They've matched up their idea of what a "good" person does, and decided that transmission takes place when people are "bad". We've been treated like children for 18 months.

I’ve not read it but I think that Covid mitigation’s aren’t one of the areas of disagreement allowed as per the agreement between the SNP and Greens so they are bound by collective responsibility with regards to what is decided. Unless they feel so strongly that they tear up the agreement a week on? 

What will happen is that they’ll ask for assurances about the impact, receive them and the plans will be implemented with no changes. 

38 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Im against the principle of vaccine passports only because of the precedent they set, but have no issue with a measure in isolation to try and push people into being vaccinated.

The vaccination program has been enormously successful and there is no need for some stupid behavioural science nonsense to push for anything. Not least given that recent surveys suggest it will have the opposite impact on those who have chosen not to get vaccinated. 

Governments are also fraying the patience of a significant minority of people with this pish. The more daft hoops that they set people to jump through, the more likely they will be to just bin all of their shite entirely. 

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

99% of people to be asked for proof of vaccine to get into a club are tracked 24/7 by carrying a phone and bank card. It's just another app and if it encourages more to get vaccinated it will help all of us. 

10 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I find that if you're on the opposite side of an argument from old man danger then there is a 99.99 pct chance you're right.

I can't get my head round anyone not having him on Ignore at this stage. He's one of the all time worst in the history of This Forum.