Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

Saw this tweet about working from home

fair enough. I do think that some people miss the potential impact of this on people who can’t work from home comfortably. A little further down on the thread you get this:

I do think there’s a bit of misery guts Twitter doomerism at play with working from home. If you listen to people, even on here, someone asking what’s in your sandwich is an intolerable imposition. 

I am well aware that I come across as a miserable c**t on here and online, but I actually don't mind interacting with people on a daily basis at work. My workmates are generally nice pleasant people and I would class some of them as friends. We are starting back one day a week (for those who want to) from today and two days from next month and I'm looking forward to seeing people a bit more.

I've already been working in the office a day a week or so now because I don't have space to WFH properly anyway.

Edited by craigkillie

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I am well aware that I come across as a miserable c**t on here and online, but I actually don't mind interacting with people on a daily basis at work. My workmates are generally nice pleasant people and I would class some of them as friends. We are starting back one day a week (for those who want to) from today and two days from next month and I'm looking forward to seeing people a bit more.

I've already been working in the office a day a week or so now because I don't have space to WFH properly anyway.

People on here who speak with almost visceral hatred for anyone in their workplace freak me out a bit tbh. The posts along the lines of "am no spending one more second than a huv tae wae they c***s!" about going for a pint at Christmas in particular stand out as being really odd.

It's a bit different for me now as I'm older, have a famiy and live out in the 'burbs but the job I had from the ages of 26 to 34 was excellent, I made good friends with quite a few of my colleagues and we all continue to meet up.  One of my colleagues had a child around the same time as me and they became close friends when the babies were the same age.  Until Covid we had regular meals out and went to see bands etc together, i had only moved to Edinburgh from Inverness a few years earlier and it made a big difference in my social life.  It helped that the office was slap bang in the middle of town rather than in some souless out of town business park.

Lots of people in that job, and others I've done, also met their partners through work - I think the Twitter thread I put up a few days ago mentioned this as well.  It's another factor that's going to make things shitty for younger people starting out.  It also must be pretty hard for young people starting jobs to not be in the office, not be able to observe and learn from your colleagues.  That's a big part of learning the ropes in my experience.

I have had space to work from home over the last 18 months but I recognise that it would be better being in the office some of the time.  Im keen to get some sort of split formalised (likely 3 days in 2 days at home) and think that would work well for most people across the organisation.

The point missed by those arguing it should simply come down to a personal choice  is that any detriment caused to one person in requiring them to attend an office at least some of the time is that it is probably outweighed by the benefit to multiple staff being able to work with them in the same location.  That said, I dont think there is any need to force everyone back 5 days per week.

Quick question for our medical / science experts, I'm intending on going to Spain in a couple of weeks and just wondered if I should book the PCR or Antigen test for way back ?

There's only about £25 difference (27 euros v 54 Euros) between them but wondering if the "false positive" is more of a risk with the RAT test ??

Any ideas folks ?

33 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

People on here who speak with almost visceral hatred for anyone in their workplace freak me out a bit tbh. The posts along the lines of "am no spending one more second than a huv tae wae they c***s!" about going for a pint at Christmas in particular stand out as being really odd.

It certainly suggests they should maybe try finding somewhere else to work, though I appreciate that's not possible for everyone.

41 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

But you're much younger and don't have the cumulative resentment that I might have.

I noticed, in reality, since going back to office work that I do get on well with colleagues in the immediate area or whom I have a direct working relationship. When I or they move that ends and the replacements step in. I don't want the same degree of social interaction I did when I was younger.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

12 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

I have had space to work from home over the last 18 months but I recognise that it would be better being in the office some of the time.  Im keen to get some sort of split formalised (likely 3 days in 2 days at home) and think that would work well for most people across the organisation.

The point missed by those arguing it should simply come down to a personal choice  is that any detriment caused to one person in requiring them to attend an office at least some of the time is that it is probably outweighed by the benefit to multiple staff being able to work with them in the same location.  That said, I dont think there is any need to force everyone back 5 days per week.

My work is being very flexible on this, my own department are still all WFH with the exception of one OPS Manager, however they have told us that if anyone is wishing to return either full time or a hybrid model then they will do their best to accommodate them.

Personally I like my colleagues and miss the daily chat, however the saving on travel is nearly 2k p/a and I have more time for Golf etc so I'm more than happy to stay in touch via teams for the time being.

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

r the saving on travel is nearly 2k p/a and I have more time for Golf etc so I'm more than happy to stay in touch via teams for the time being.

Yeah, that's the other side of it.  It's easier for me as I have a simple commute, my collagues in London have long drives in heavy traffic or pay a fortune for train tickets.  f**k that.

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yeah, that's the other side of it.  It's easier for me as I have a simple commute, my collagues in London have long drives in heavy traffic or pay a fortune for train tickets.  f**k that.

I was having a look at rail season ticket options. The flexible tickets don't seem to offer much, if any, saving. Anyone else tried it, because either I'm doing it wrong or it's a shite offer? I hope it's just the former.

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Saw this tweet about working from home

fair enough. I do think that some people miss the potential impact of this on people who can’t work from home comfortably. A little further down on the thread you get this:

I do think there’s a bit of misery guts Twitter doomerism at play with working from home. If you listen to people, even on here, someone asking what’s in your sandwich is an intolerable imposition. 

My office has been open now on a totally voluntary basis for 3 weeks and I’ve really enjoyed going back in a few days a week. 

Personally I find that 5 days a week stuck in your bedroom for most of the day is not conducive to good mental health or work-life balance. I also do like chatting to colleagues in person.

I’d probably be looking for another job if my employer told us to WFH full time permanently.

39 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It certainly suggests they should maybe try finding somewhere else to work, though I appreciate that's not possible for everyone.

I think a lot of these people would have that attitude towards their colleagues in any workplace, or their neighbours, or other members of the general public. A lot of people carry a lot of anger.

I can go in whenever I like now. The Tuesdays-only rule lasted about three weeks. I'm in tomorrow as are a few of my pals. Probably spend the day just chatting to folk.  The point made about Teams is right - unless there is an actual need to speak to someone, you don't. So you miss out on just casual social interaction with people who are not directly involved in your work.

My wife has been doing 2 days per week for a few months now but they are changing it. On for a full week, then home for a full week, all on a rota basis so the office is still only half-full.

1 minute ago, PedroMoutinho said:

My office has been open now on a totally voluntary basis for 3 weeks and I’ve really enjoyed going back in a few days a week. 

Personally I find that 5 days a week stuck in your bedroom for most of the day is not conducive to good mental health or work-life balance. I also do like chatting to colleagues in person.

I’d probably be looking for another job if my employer told us to WFH full time permanently.

My work can be pretty stressful and I found, espeically in my old house that I was in until December last year, that I wasn't getting any opportunity to decompress in any way.  It's better now that I've got my own work space, I can leave that room and not go back in, it gives some separation but completely separating your work from your home can be a bit destressor.

My work are very understanding, they are kid-gloving us back.  No compulsion but you can go back full time if you want.  Being cynical, we are all pretty well paid and most wouldn't struggle getting another job if we wanted to.  I wonder how people who are working in call centres are doing with this.

Our office is operating at 50% capacity and has allocated specific team days where we don't have to book in otherwise we need to fill out a form. Mondays and Tuesdays for the HR drones and the associated departments. Quite happy with that arrangement even if I'm miffed about office attire working.

Anyway, I'm on my last day before taking some annual leave so I can head back up north for Riverside Festival and obvs have just had a positive LFT test. I've taken two since and they've both reported back negative. Some laugh.

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

I find I work more effectively in the office and I like the break my 20 minute drive gives me. Get to listen to music or audio book and it breaks up the day. I didn't enjoy the feeling of being at work all the time, nor my heating and power bills! Each to their own I guess. 

Not everyone can build a home office or office shed. We had younger folk in small flats without proper desk space and people living alone not seeing anyone day to day. I think the social aspect of our office is fairly good, my colleagues are decent at helping out if you have an issue etc. 

I'm wary about the 'productivity is higher' stuff. We found people were working well into the evening - emails between our teams at 8pm and 9pm weren't uncommon and were being answered then too. People were working more hours, so whilst productivity might have been up it was because people were doing 10-12 hours of work a day and working for free in the evenings. The company did warn against doing this tbf. 

I identify closely with this. I had to admit to my boss recently that I was struggling badly working from home. I live alone, in a small flat and although I have a spare room with a desk, that's for my gaming stuff and for my personal time. I had to get a fold up desk to work in my living room to separate work from that.

But I've been feeling a lot of isolation and loneliness and as low mentally as I ever have done. Some days are a serious struggle to get my head on and get through a day's work. Other days it's a struggle to get out of bed at all and find any sense of self worth and motivation to work hard and better myself. 

Our office is opening again soon on a booking basis and I'll be taking that up at least once a week for my own good. 

Edited by GiGi

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

I identify closely with this. I had to admit to my boss recently that I was struggling badly working from home. I live alone, in a small flat and although I have a spare room with a desk, that's for my gaming stuff and for my personal time. I had to get a fold up desk to work in my living room to separate work from that.

But I've been feeling a lot of isolation and loneliness and as low mentally as I ever have done. Some days are a serious struggle to get my head on and get through a day's work. Other days it's a struggle to get out of bed at all and find any sense of self worth and motivation to work hard and better myself. 

Our office is opening again soon on a booking basis and I'll be taking that up at least once a week for my own good. 

Hope it goes well for you. My wife had a similar conversation with her boss a couple of months ago, and as such she was allowed back in the office before anyone else. 

Sounds like you are struggling. I'm no expert but struggling to get out of bed is pretty bad. Might be worth speaking to a doctor if you have not already done so.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Quick question for our medical / science experts, I'm intending on going to Spain in a couple of weeks and just wondered if I should book the PCR or Antigen test for way back ?

There's only about £25 difference (27 euros v 54 Euros) between them but wondering if the "false positive" is more of a risk with the RAT test ??

Any ideas folks ?

I returned from France yesterday and did an antigen test there before my flight and it was fine. I am sure it is fine for Spain also, but my mate who lives there came along with me and did the translating/discussion about the accuracy etc required, and I'd also add that I flew back from Carcassone which is a tiny little airport who often look like they're just making it up as they go along.

Having now fully experienced travel in 2021 I can now confirm it's all very very silly. Forms to fill out to get into France that weren't checked and a PLF form that I have no idea how they'd know if I hadn't done at the UK border as nobody was checking at all, leading to me wondering if the £70 or whatever it was for the test once I've just returned (y'know, the yin I have to do despite having done one in France literally the day before) was just a monumental waste of cash because they wouldn't even know. 

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Hope it goes well for you. My wife had a similar conversation with her boss a couple of months ago, and as such she was allowed back in the office before anyone else. 

Sounds like you are struggling. I'm no expert but struggling to get out of bed is pretty bad. Might be worth speaking to a doctor if you have not already done so.

Yeah, I agree with that and I've arranged to speak to my GP. I will be one of many in the same boat.