Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  353.3 to 355.0 up 0.48%, England 319.9 to 315.2 down 1.47%, Wales 388.8 to 410.6 up 5.60%, Northern Ireland  633.5 to 615.3 down 2.87%

England down for 4th day in a row and currently at about 44% of Scottish levels.

NI down for 2nd day in a row.

Scotland 720.3 for reference.  World Leaders.  

4 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

That makes zero sense. Use the end of furlough to in effect reimpose measures that would require the no longer existent furlough ???

I think the rather clumsy point he’s trying to make is that the SG might consider restrictions now because it won’t be possible after the end of next month. 

It’s the sort of thing Nicola Sturgeon herself mentioned around this time last year when furlough looked like it was being binned. 

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

I think the rather clumsy point he’s trying to make is that the SG might consider restrictions now because it won’t be possible after the end of next month. 

It’s the sort of thing Nicola Sturgeon herself mentioned around this time last year when furlough looked like it was being binned. 

Yup, this is what I took from it - a month of restrictions while they still can!

No way something as drastic as that comes out the blue without a drip feed prep so won't be happening tomorrow.

Stepping in whilst the case rates are high but manageable, rather than riding it out to the peak to see how a wave with little restrictions (to speak of, lets not pretend this normal life yet) plays out wouls be a monumentally stupid thing to do, all but confirming normal life is unattainable...... It would be disastrous for ongoing vaccine or booster uptake IMO. 

Also, having fed us the info that its mainly unvaccinated people in hospitals, reintroducing restrictions now would effectively be saying these restrictions are in place because of unvaccinated people. Not all of whom are anti-vaxers, and despite yer more edgy types on here insisting that unvaxxed folk DeSeRvE aW tHeY gEt!!!!!!!!, I dont think its particularly clever to create a scenario where livlihoods etc are under threat and providing people with a target to blame it on. 

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

That schedule quite blatantly won't happen. 

20 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Good thing cases are peaking then, Christopher, you fud.

I mentioned this yesterday, but cases peaking is good news for everyone, but bad news for the parts of society cuntshoes would like to close down.

Something to keep an eye on is the cases by specimen date, which do (out of nowhere really) actually appear to have done just that. The next few days will be very interesting here.

Limiting football crowds, binning vertical drinking, and cutting opening times for a few weeks (to keep people safe) when cases have already plateaued would be straight out of the SG playbook. Allows them to continue to look as though they have control of the virus like water from a tap, whist also allowing them to gloss over the rather obvious correlation between schools starting back and an increase in cases.

Although, to continue to be fair to NS here, she continues to "not rule out" re-imposing restrictions (which is the obvious default answer that will never change) whilst not coming across as trigger happy and threatening anything. Definitely seems to be happy for now to kick the can down the road a bit and ride it out.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I mentioned this yesterday, but cases peaking is good news for everyone, but bad news for the parts of society cuntshoes would like to close down.

Something to keep an eye on is the cases by specimen date, which do (out of nowhere really) actually appear to have done just that. The next few days will be very interesting here.

Limiting football crowds, binning vertical drinking, and cutting opening times for a few weeks (to keep people safe) when cases have already plateaued would be straight out of the SG playbook. Allows them to continue to look as though they have control of the virus like water from a tap, whist also allowing them to gloss over the rather obvious correlation between schools starting back and an increase in cases.

Its not so much the virus numbers, or even Scotgovs interpretation of them that worries me, its more the chain reaction of media hysterics and wilful misinterpretation of the numbers resulting in Scotgov bowing to pressure from people who have been scared into not knowing any better..... So far Sturgeons language on this latest wave has been good. Some attempt to appease but ultimately, we charge on. Some time though, there will come a perceived political cost asscoiated with not doing something for the sake of shutting people up. 

For that, a lot of people should be really ashamed of themselves, in particular the media