Coronavirus (COVID-19)

14 hours ago, Baggio said:

Any tips for testing a 3 yr old? Not looking forward to this at all.

Kids are dropping like flies at the minute, loads off at our school, daughter's nursery was like a ghost town today as well.

We have had to test our three year old three times now, last time was last week.  I think he remembered it because he absolutely did not want it done, eventually we just had to hold him in place and do it, then give him a cuddle and an ice cream (frozen yoghurt that we tell him is ice cream) afterwards.

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

Vaccine side effects being classed as Covid related explains the uptick in young people in hospital. 

I was out for the first day today to meet a few friends. One said he was any vacs. I punched in the face, not hard just enough to tell him, stop being an arse. I'll never meet you, thank f**k.

Just now, SlipperyP said:

I was out for the first day today to meet a few friends. One said he was any vacs. I punched in the face, not hard just enough to tell him, stop being an arse. I'll never meet you, thank f**k.

If makes you feel any better I've been punched by an alchy in the past so it would just be more of the same. 

21 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If makes you feel any better I've been punched by an alchy in the past so it would just be more of the same. 

Fingering about and sniffing ones arse. Is not getting punched.

If you've got any more shite, I'll send the boys (me) to let you enjoy the rest of your day.

I'm on the RED list......cartoons, from now, comical posting after all 

Edited by SlipperyP

17 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Wtf does 'turning off bits of society' mean ?

I honestly don't understand that pharse at all. 

That's what "turning off bits of society" would be.

29 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Enjoying the emergence of a new Covid thread troll.  I don't think he'll measure up to the guy who said he had to recruit a load of Ukrainians to build his son's "homestead" in Fife.

tenor.gif.0f4d367b65ed086f81b5e1cd56c05fae.gif

im not trolling fella, my life just doesnt revolve around ''having a pint''  and thinking i know more than a 'dentist'' or 'Devi

49 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

We have had to test our three year old three times now, last time was last week.  I think he remembered it because he absolutely did not want it done, eventually we just had to hold him in place and do it, then give him a cuddle and an ice cream (frozen yoghurt that we tell him is ice cream) afterwards.

Telling him lies and assaulting him? He'll be scarred for life...

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

The supposed high prevalence of LoNg-CoViD being exposed as a lot of utter shite in clinical studies, compared to self-reporting drivel?

I'm really surprised!

Does this mean we can start calling it what it actually is - Post Viral Fatigue?

Maybe more one for the travel thread but feel like I should share my experience of trying to holiday during COVID (and why I won’t be leaving the country again until life is normal) as I’m sure some people on here said it was a piece of piss.

I am double vaccinated and was travelling to an amber country (Jamaica) that had actually been tipped to go green a few times.

The first drama you will have is booking your pre-departure test as everyone is aware us Scots can only use 1 provider, although good to see that is changing. The only issue here is feeling the need to isolate prior to this test to ensure you get your holiday.

The next issue is on the day we are due to leave Jamaica announces ‘no movement days’ basically a lockdown across 3 days. No big deal we still go our holiday and just need to stay in the resort nothing we can do about their case numbers now the Americans and us are bringing over the Delta variant. However there was a travel review while we were there and as most are aware Jamaica was widely tipped to go red meaning the Wed and Thurs we were sporadically checking our phones all day (because the government don’t see it fit to have the announcements on a set day and time) luckily it stayed amber therefore things looked to be going our way.

However we then went to get our departure tests 3 days prior to leaving. I will state here from about day 2 onwards my nose had been running like a tap, I assumed this was due to sleeping/living in a hotel room with air-con on a lot and being in and out of water etc. I got an antigen(?) rapid test in my nostril that was running and it came back positive. I then had another 2 antigen tests in the other nostril which came back negative while my partners 1 test was negative and that was it, but due to this positive I was made to isolate in a room for 16 hours while these were all sent to be tested under PCR conditions which came back negative. I really doubt the veracity of this test tbh as Im about 95% sure the hotel didn’t want to put me up for 10 days. So I shall see what my return test here shows and probably just stay in the house as a precaution until then.

We also found out that despite paying for what we were told was ‘comprehensive’ travel insurance the Covid cover included only would have paid out if we couldn’t go due to a positive test, not if you test positive while you are there.

Additionally the UKs return requirements seem ludicrous compared to elsewhere. Americans going through the airport with just a handwritten negative/fit to fly test with the ‘clinics’ stamp on it. While the UK require a printed out result on headed paper as well as the ridiculous passenger locator form.

Long story short - Boris, Nicola, The Government, whoever have got exactly what they want from me with the traffic light system and travel requirements. I’ll just stay here and spend my money like a good little boy and never leave the country again.

ETA - Masks on the plane is a farce as well. I’m not an anti masker I’m pretty nonplussed about them but I hate the pantomime aspect of them which this was. Sit with your mask on for the full flight but you can take it off when you want for a drink or to eat or if you fall asleep with it off we’ll just leave you to it.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

So we could have been at the fitba and festivals for the past 18 months?
What a waste, Jason.

At least it’s a pivot away from immediately just closing it down. The other rent a quote from NHS Grampian on the other hand was immediately saying the first thing she’d get rid of is mass sporting events because “they’re not really important to people unlike education”.

Sums up neatly why I can't really be arsed with the hassle of it. However I won't spend money on home holidays because they are terrible value, for which I'm sure Johnson is devastated. 

Booking ahead is proper crystal ball territory as well. The countries that get green listed tend to be moved to amber after they've had the arse kicked out them, and of course anything going red is a non-starter. If you heavily restrict certain destinations, everyone will go to the one place and, lo and behold, that particular place will see covid cases. The government's restrictions are perpetuating this cycle. 

The Red list increasingly makes less and less sense also. It's there under the guise of keeping out variants, but there are few countries where this really presents any concern at all. Delta is dominant just about everywhere and so I don't see why hotel quarantine is necessary for a lot of countries. Only really Peru and Brazil I can understand, but there's nothing to suggest those variants will out compete Delta. And talk of travel introducing infections is pointless as we already have high case rates here anyway. 

It would give completely false piece of mind because the tests that the government gormlessly procured are useless. So much so that the US FDA's recommendation is for people to - quite literally - throw any tests that they have in the bin*:
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/stop-using-innova-medical-group-sars-cov-2-antigen-rapid-qualitative-test-fda-safety-communication

* 'trash' because America. 

I totally agree, I personally know of 2 cases of negative LFT followed up with a positive PCR test the same or next day. Apparently they are only around 55% accurate.
I have only ever seen one return a positive result and that was confirmed with a positive PCR test.
If you are unsure or have symptoms only a PCR will give a more accurate response, it’s just annoying having to wait about 24 hours for the text/email.

35 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

At least it’s a pivot away from immediately just closing it down. The other rent a quote from NHS Grampian on the other hand was immediately saying the first thing she’d get rid of is mass sporting events because “they’re not really important to people unlike education”.

I know the woman you mean. She's on BBC Radio Scotland all the time spouting this pish. Very worried about case numbers and the like (ignoring the, er, vaccine)