Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Some hooha in our household this morning. Wife is an EYO at a local nursery and her pal wasn't feeling very clever on Friday. Her pal done a lateral flow test which was negative then done another lateral flow test immediately after (no idea why) which came back positive. PCR test done and she's confirmed positive. Naturally her pal gave track and trace a list of all close contacts which consisted off all her work colleagues. This caused a massive panic from management who started messaging all staff this morning telling them not to get tested unless they are advised to by track and trace. Then when she realised all her staff were getting messages asking to get tested decided to phone said positive staff member to ask what she told track and trace as in their opinion all staff should have been sufficient distance apart to not be classed as a close contact. Anyway unless their PCR test results are back by 8am tomorrow the nursery will be closed. 

It’s all a bit of a nightmare at the moment. My son heard friends at school talk about someone who had tested positive and he realised he had been at break with him the previous day. My son also had a headache and sore throat so advised the school he had Covid symptoms. He was told to stay in school unless track and trace contact him(which they didn’t). He then had a positive LFT when he came home and the PCR test was also positive.Because I work in social care I also now have to self isolate for 10 days despite testing negative.
This is my 3rd self isolation since June despite never having had a positive test result myself.

Received a few texts saying I was due my second dose and then couldn't get one thanks to the shitty system. Luckily spotted a walk in centre while out and about with a mate and could go and get out of my tits at Pride with a fully dosed up body and a deid arm.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

It’s all a bit of a nightmare at the moment. My son heard friends at school talk about someone who had tested positive and he realised he had been at break with him the previous day. My son also had a headache and sore throat so advised the school he had Covid symptoms. He was told to stay in school unless track and trace contact him(which they didn’t). He then had a positive LFT when he came home and the PCR test was also positive.Because I work in social care I also now have to self isolate for 10 days despite testing negative.
This is my 3rd self isolation since June despite never having had a positive test result myself.

The whole system is a shambles. We had a situation during the week there where we thought our youngest might be positive. Because I've been double-jabbed more than a fortnight ago technically I don't need to self-isolate (even if she's positive) as long as I test negative. No-one can tell me how often I am supposed to get a PCR though.

I like how the headlines are making the point that the SG aren't considering a circuit breaker, as if they have any choice in the matter. 

Furlough ends in 31 days time. There can't be one.

31 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I like how the headlines are making the point that the SG aren't considering a circuit breaker, as if they have any choice in the matter. 

Furlough ends in 31 days time. There can't be one.

There's also the fact that for a circuit breaker to have any chance of making an impact at all, it needs to be targetted at the areas where it will be most impactful.

Looking at the recent trends, the SG have a problem. They have already pledged to keep schools open, yet it is school aged kids who are undoubtably driving the numbers up.

20-24 is plateauing, which gives credence to the "ride the wave and let it burn out" approach currently being taken.

Screenshot_20210829-213308_Opera.jpg

Screenshot_20210829-213556_Opera.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

How did the idea that masks make any fucking difference whatsoever genuinely enter the scientific mainstream. yXAbrOQ.png

I think all they ever really were was visual reminders ie see a mask and remember there’s a pandemic on the go so don’t let your guard down
But now that social distancing is gone it is all the more pointless unless you want to coax people into making the choice to keep a distance from someone even tho they don’t have to

I think all they ever really were was visual reminders ie see a mask and remember there’s a pandemic on the go so don’t let your guard down
But now that social distancing is gone it is all the more pointless unless you want to coax people into making the choice to keep a distance from someone even tho they don’t have to
Aye, it was masks what won it.

49 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

If anything masks simply gave people a comfort blanket to think it was safer to keep their distance less.

It’s the Peltzman Effect - the more you increase someone’s perception of safety, the greater the risks they take.

How does that apply to COVID, given the general risk is minimal anyway? I’m not sure. Maybe people are testing positive on LFTs but think that it’s fine to pop to Tesco to stock up because “everyone’s wearing a mask so they won’t catch it from me” (I’m assuming that such people also don’t understand the rationale - however flawed it might be - behind the wearing of masks).  

Is it common for folk with covid symptoms (cough, fever etc) to be deemed a covid case even when they've consistently returned negative LF and PCR tests?

Know someone who is in this situation just now and is being treated in hospital due to other underlying health conditions.