Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Imo the huge increase is because we’ve opened schools and everything else at the same time.

Even opening on July 19th would’ve given 3 more weeks for nightclubs etc to bed in.

Remember we were still actually in level 0.5 until 2 weeks ago with pubs having to close early and social distancing.

Pretty much this. England will also see a rise, but It shouldn't be as dramatic as our has been, proportionately speaking. The spike we're seeing now is likely related to the 9 August reopening as well as schools going back. Remember that cases plummeted down south after the Euros despite 19 July before increasing again after a couple of weeks and subsequently levelling out.

8 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Pretty much this. England will also see a rise, but It shouldn't be as dramatic as our has been, proportionately speaking. The spike we're seeing now is likely related to the 9 August reopening as well as schools going back. Remember that cases plummeted down south after the Euros despite 19 July before increasing again after a couple of weeks and subsequently levelling out.

Exactly. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that cases will rise when schools reopen.

So why not use the 7 weeks of them being shut and people are generally outside more to get everything else open instead of delaying just to appear more caring than England?

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

There is now convincing evidence that immunity from natural infection is indeed actually superior to that provided by vaccination. Fantastic news, but also quite hilarious how many 'experts' were acting like this was some new alien super bug that would remain this deadly forever and that immunity would wane after three months. 🥴

Hence why I didn't bother getting vaccinated. 

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

A mix is good. I hate being stuck in the office all day. That’s way worse than being stuck at home.

At home I can knock one out whenever I want. It’s way harder at work.

All the more reason to knock one out, I would have thought.

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  344.5 to 349.6 up 1.48%, England 329.9 to 332.0 up 0.64%, Wales 348.5 to 357.5 up 2.58%, Northern Ireland  629.1 to 626.0 down 0.49%

England is still rising albeit very slowly as opposed to what a couple of posters have said.

What is interesting is that as Scotland soars day after day, Northern Ireland may have peaked.  Be an absolute shocker to surge past them but I think when I report on Monday that will be the case.

We may also well become world champion gold medalist infectors on Monday as the former Soviet Republic of Georgia is dropping sharply.

I wasn't that bothered about getting the vaccine, I'm not old or have any health issues and I'm not too keen on needles, but got one due to the much hinted 'once everyone is vaxxed, we'll get things back to normal' stuff that the government were saying.

I caught covid last weekend and the symptoms started on Tuesday afternoon. It's felt like the worst bout of flu I've ever experienced. I'm a bit better now, but still feel a bit shit. I dread to think what it would have been like unvaccinated.

It's obviously up to individuals if the want to get jagged or not, but it might end up being a bit more than 'mild cold symptoms' you end up catching.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Hence why I didn't bother getting vaccinated. 

Vaccination and natural infection combined will likely provide even more robust protection long-term...

There is zero chance of England reintroducing restrictions in any situation bar a vaccine evading variant.
Apparently they have been crunching some numbers to see where the tipping point is.

https://inews.co.uk/news/boris-johnson-privately-accepts-up-to-50000-annual-covid-deaths-as-an-acceptable-level-1170069

I suspect the article is a load of shite but would be surprised if there hasn't been some kind of financial/death weighting done by the government.

Shouldn't they be penning the same letter to the Scottish Government at this point? Of  course, they wouldn't actually do that as they're largely cut from the same cloth. titter.png

Shameless grifters, though it fair hoodwinked a few on here.

49 minutes ago, MuckleMoo said:

Apparently they have been crunching some numbers to see where the tipping point is.

https://inews.co.uk/news/boris-johnson-privately-accepts-up-to-50000-annual-covid-deaths-as-an-acceptable-level-1170069

I suspect the article is a load of shite but would be surprised if there hasn't been some kind of financial/death weighting done by the government.

I've said from the start that, rightly or wrongly, we're prepared to accept a 5-figure number of flu deaths each year so why can't the same apply to COVID?

It's also the case that the Venn diagram of "people likely to die from flu" and "people likely to die from COVID" is near-enough a circle, so the vast majority of COVID deaths will be instead of rather than in addition to those from flu.