Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, Rugster said:

My understanding is you isolate until her test comes back. If positive you get tested and continue isolating unless you test negative and are double jagged. 

Thanks for the reply. So you reckon we should all have been isolating until her result came back and not just the wee one? That makes considerably more sense but definitely not what I was told.

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Thanks for the reply. So you reckon we should all have been isolating until her result came back and not just the wee one? That makes considerably more sense but definitely not what I was told.

I think so but could be wrong. It’s changed so much recently. 

20 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I am really confused about the whole self-isolating situation.

I posted yesterday about our mates whose wee one was sent home. Later on the same thing happened to us (our kids go to the same nursery).

I took the day off today to watch her as we needed to get her tested. But I spoke to my work's covid person who said the procedure in such a case was that the wee one gets tested and everyone else in the house carries on as normal. Then if a positive test comes back for the wee one then we all need to get tested and anyone who tests positive has to self-isolate but anyone who tests negative can carry on providing it's been more than two weeks since they're double-jabbed. Does that sound like I understand it correctly?

By the way I hope she is negative and if not I hope she’s ok. 

9 minutes ago, Rugster said:

By the way I hope she is negative and if not I hope she’s ok. 

Yes, thankfully negative result came through late afternoon. Cheers!

I am really confused about the whole self-isolating situation.
I posted yesterday about our mates whose wee one was sent home. Later on the same thing happened to us (our kids go to the same nursery).
I took the day off today to watch her as we needed to get her tested. But I spoke to my work's covid person who said the procedure in such a case was that the wee one gets tested and everyone else in the house carries on as normal. Then if a positive test comes back for the wee one then we all need to get tested and anyone who tests positive has to self-isolate but anyone who tests negative can carry on providing it's been more than two weeks since they're double-jabbed. Does that sound like I understand it correctly?
My understanding is you isolate until her test comes back. If positive you get tested and continue isolating unless you test negative and are double jagged. 
I just had a look at the letter we got when our son was sent home to isolate as a close contact (in mid May).

Obviously the double jagged part didn't exist then, but as far as isolating before his test result came through it was only him that was required to do so.

Can someone explain to me why all the mad conspiracists are into this ivermectin drug? It’s not some all natural remedy, Big Pharma produce it so it doesn’t work from that angle. Aside from they are all a bit mad I can’t work it out.

Daily Cases Update:  Day 21 in a row of our 4th wave of infections, case rises up a huge 11.50% to 480.0 and infectivity up to 11.3% Expect another rise of around 6% tomorrow.  Todays 5K cases more or less guarantee us hitting about the 650 mark.  Ignoring New Zealand with tiny numbers, Scotland has the fastest growing infection case rate in the world of any major country.  We will also hit the 2nd most actually contaminated major nation in the next few days.

Dunbartonshire now in a private battle for top of the league.  

As Dumfries Central continues top neighbourhood spot for about 2 weeks now, you have to wonder how many in total have been infected from the population of 3,387  I think possibly as high as 700 people working back through the daily numbers.

Figures for Jags  1st Vaccines   3,342 to 3,401 ,  2nd vaccines  16,284 to 14,258

Total Cases Scotland 7 days 17th August to 23rd August were  23,532 now 26,238 up 11.50%, Positivity was 10.7% now 11.3%.  Cases per 100K were 430.5 now 480.0

Home Nations Daily update  :  UK Average  339.3 to 344.5 up 1.53%, England 327.6 to 329.9 up 0.70%, Wales 336.2 to 348.5 up 3.63%, Northern Ireland  614.6 to 629.1 up 2.36%

In Europe for travellers  Ireland  250.2 to 258.8 (Weekly change +6%),  Greece 214.9 to 220.9 (Weekly change +3%), France 221.0 to 213.9 (Weekly change -14%),  Switzerland 199.2 to 203.9 (weekly change +10%),  Portugal 159.3 to 160.4 (Weekly change -1%), Spain 160.5 to 148.9 (Weekly change -18%), These are still the only main countries over 149 cases per 100K 

Apart from Spain & France virtually everywhere is now on the rise.

Scotland peaks in Wave 3 at 425.1 for 27th June to 3rd July, (UK was 229.9) . Cases that day were 23,222 and positivity 10.8%

Scotland previously peaked in wave 2 at 301.9 for figures 29th Dec to 4th Jan, (UK was 642.1)    Cases that day were 16,496 and test positivity rate was 11.9%  

Council progress in last 24 Hours as follows.

Click cases by neighbourhood to see the spread on the geographical map. 
https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview

West Dunbartonshire  787.9 to 866.0  Alexandria (Egypt) 1,622

East Dunbartonshire   668.5 to 794.5 Kirkintilloch West 1,789

East Renfrewshire 651.7 to 683.9  Williamwood 1,734

Clackmannanshire  604.4 to 674.6

North Lanarkshire  553.4 to 664.8  Up a huge 20%

Argyll & Bute 553.7 to 659.0 Up a huge 20%   Bute 1,746

South Lanarkshire 566.7 to 646.2

Renfrewshire   580.3 to 646.1

Glasgow City 562.9 to 622.8

Dumfries & Galloway  611.6 to 622.4  Dumfries Central 1,890

Inverclyde   516.5 to 554.1

City Of Edinburgh 491.5 to 536.0

North Ayrshire  434.3 to 447.7 

West Lothian  380.3 to 437.4

Stirling   391.2 to 436.9

Dundee City  357.5 to 418.0

East Lothian  367.9 to 412.4

South Ayrshire   371.0 to 396.8

Midlothian  367.1 to 396.1

Falkirk   363.7 to 394.2

Scottish  Borders   355.8 to 388.8

Fife  345.3 to 371.3

East Ayrshire 300.2 to 339.6

Highlands    282.5 to 319.4

Angus   255.6 to 265.1

Perth & Kinross    222.5 to 244.1

Aberdeen City  211.7 to 242.7

Aberdeenshire   187.5 to 224.7

Western Isles    132.1 to 132.1

Shetland Islands   100.6 to 126.8

Moray   107.6 to 125.4

Orkney Islands   58.0 to 67.0

Edited by superbigal

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

They have been talking about staffing levels for decades. 

The SNP cut the number of medical places.  Audit Scotland reported that we would add only 4 (four) new GPs by 2027 and as a result of working practices this would actually be a reduction in FTE.  The Scottish government has committed to increasing the number by 800 in the same timeframe.  I know which one I think more likely based on previous actions.

Edited by strichener

9 minutes ago, strichener said:

The SNP cut the number of medical places.  Audit Scotland reported that we would add only 4 (four) new GPs by 2027 and as a result of working practices this would actually be a reduction in FTE.  The Scottish government has committed to increasing the number by 800 in the same timeframe.  I know which one I thin more likely based on previous actions.

Yep, the staffing crisis is only going to get worse. Most of my wifes business partners are late 50’s early 60’s, recruiting new GP’s particularly outwith Glasgow/Edinburgh is becoming increasingly difficult. 
The other significant factor is the complete balls up the Scottish Government have made in terms of taxation and pensions, with the way its all worked out a GP working 7 sessions (3.5 days a week) with the difference between taxation and superan it would actually cost them money to work out of hours shifts, which in turn means these services are suffering also. 

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yep, the staffing crisis is only going to get worse. Most of my wifes business partners are late 50’s early 60’s, recruiting new GP’s particularly outwith Glasgow/Edinburgh is becoming increasingly difficult. 
The other significant factor is the complete balls up the Scottish Government have made in terms of taxation and pensions, with the way its all worked out a GP working 7 sessions (3.5 days a week) with the difference between taxation and superan it would actually cost them money to work out of hours shifts, which in turn means these services are suffering also. 

Yeah, the pension situation is mental.  One of my friends is a GP, she was a partner and eventually ended up being the only partner at the practise.  She handed back the NHS contract, quit the practise and took up a salaried position at another practise doing the job part time.  It is entirely unsustainable without significant investment in training and restructuring the way GP practises operate.  Speaking with my friend, I would describe GP services as privatised giving the way the commercial relationship is structured. 

On 25/08/2021 at 15:27, Frankie S said:

During the pandemic there has been no shortage of unedifying mewling from the older generation about ‘irresponsible kids’, so it’s no surprise to find boomers wailing about vaccine hesitancy from the younger generation.

When the JVCI can’t make a convincing case that the benefits of vaccination for under 30s outweighs the potential risks, even when the risk of a dangerous adverse reaction to the vaccines is vanishingly small (1.1 cases per 100k in age group 20-29 suffering serious harm from vaccination (AZ) compared to 0.8 cases per 100k ICU admissions prevented by vaccines in the same age group, according to JVCI’s own data) then it’s crystal clear that there is very little compelling evidence to suggest that the under 30s need to be vaccinated for their own good. Indeed the evidence suggest the opposite - that vaccination is riskier for under 30s than contacting the virus, contrasting sharply with the clear benefits offered by vaccination to older cohorts.

It’s probably fair to say that (notwithstanding their general incompetence) both the Scottish and English governments are fully aware of the negligible risks presented to the younger generation by the virus, and (whatever their pronouncements to the contrary suggest) there is an unspoken acceptance in government that the virus will circulate freely among the younger, healthier age groups, and that natural immunity by infection will play almost as significant a role as vaccination in ensuring that the under 30s acquire immunity.

The contention that kids have some altruistic debt to their elders or moral obligation to get vaccinations they don’t really need for the benefit of the fully-vaccinated, who are currently enjoying maximal protection, is so deeply engrained in the popular mindset that it’s taken for granted, but it’s really just another instance of the ‘what can the younger generation do for us’ mantra that has become endemic since the start of the pandemic. Thinking back to the disgraceful Scottish government TV advertising campaign, where kids were being exhorted not to kill their grandparents, it’s not difficult to see how this view became mainstream.

What can the younger generation do for us? Well apart from accepting the hugely diminished experience that now passes for an education over the last 18 months (with more to come), and seeing their job opportunities wither on the vine, while their social opportunities and leisure pursuits (live music, arts, hospitality, nightclubs, sports, dating etc.) are stigmatised and criminalised. All the stuff that older generations were able to enjoy to the full are the very things that we’ve demanded younger generations sacrifice to keep us old timers safe.
I’ve got a 17-year old daughter who is going to Uni in September, and she’s taken it upon herself to get vaccinated, (by going to a drop-in centre, not because she’d received a blue letter - she hasn’t). I’m delighted that she chose to get vaccinated, but I’d have been just as supportive of her had she chosen not to. The pandemic has effectively ruined the last 18 months of her life, which is a much more significant proportion for her than it is for me, at a time when having a normal social life (meeting friends and prospective partners) is a crucial part of her development and mental well-being. I’m acutely aware of the sacrifices that she, her friends, and indeed all youngsters have made.

It’s long past time for double-vaccinated old timers like myself to start letting the younger generations (to whom we are already hugely indebted) enjoy their lives once again - restriction free - without stigmatising them as reckless or irresponsible, and without threatening to crack down on them and their favoured pursuits at the first opportunity. There’s a disproportionate amount of stick being used to beat younger generations with, and a negligible amount carrot on offer in a dystopian new world where governmental control of businesses and draconian restrictions on civil liberties have become the new normal.

It’s not the responsibility of the younger generations to protect the elderly any more: the vaccines are doing a perfectly good job of this, and (in conjunction with occasional boosters if needed) will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Ultimately all the fuss about vaccine hesitancy among the young is simply masking an incontrovertible truth: Covid simply isn’t much of a threat to anyone that isn’t elderly and / or afflicted with multiple co-morbidities, and the apparatus of governmental control that has inhibited, controlled and restricted our lives since the start of the pandemic has represented a much greater threat to the welfare of the younger generation than the virus.

Wow.

59 greenies for a well constructed post that's supportive of young adults choosing not to get vaccinated.

There are a great many on here that don't really know what they think, but if fed the red meat of a disparaging reference to "boomers", jump aboard anyway.

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There are a great many on here that don't really know what they think, but if fed the red meat of a disparaging reference to "boomers", jump aboard anyway.

This is a board phenomenon that will never change.  You know this, of course.

Wow.
59 greenies for a well constructed post that's supportive of young adults choosing not to get vaccinated.
Maybe you should argue the well constructed points, rather than this snivelling, Granny Danger esque nothing of a post?