Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Were you really expecting any better?

I do keep falling into that trap tbf. 

Maybe im guilty of not knowing his MO prior to engaging. Seems like one of the "hahahaha keep masks just for the seethe on this thread" types in retrospect

32 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

These ones show where the infections are rising age wise. Can't see it slowing down anytime in the immediate future but it certainly shouldn't see us go backwards.as far as restrictions go. 

Screenshot_20210824_174045_com.android.chrome.jpg

This is really good to see, especially amongst the older groups. 

Saw the charts from Israel today, which I'll be honest fucking depressed me. They showed that infections amongst the fully vaccinated rising at just about the same level as the non-vaccinated. This, on the other hand, shows that they are not. 

This is the Israel chart - 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I do keep falling into that trap tbf. 

Maybe im guilty of not knowing his MO prior to engaging. Seems like one of the "hahahaha keep masks just for the seethe on this thread" types in retrospect

He most certainly is that.

What’s everyone’s hopes for the public hearings? Love to see one of the decision makers behind the punt old folks into care homes whilst infectious and kill loads of residents tactic face criminal charges. Hope that it gives people failed by the government the chance to speak without being shouted down as ‘tories’ or now ‘covid deniers’. 
Ultimately expect that none of this will happen because it will be a sham. 

7 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What’s everyone’s hopes for the public hearings? Love to see all of the decision makers behind the punt old folks into care homes whilst infectious and kill loads of residents tactic face criminal charges.

FTFY.  Would like to see this both sides of the border.

Unfortunately your second paragraph will be true both sides of the border.  No-one will be personally held accountable for anything.  The most that will happen is some wrists might be slapped for having inadequate stocks of PPE.

What’s everyone’s hopes for the public hearings? Love to see one of the decision makers behind the punt old folks into care homes whilst infectious and kill loads of residents tactic face criminal charges. Hope that it gives people failed by the government the chance to speak without being shouted down as ‘tories’ or now ‘covid deniers’. 
It will take years, cost millions and the verdict will be zilch....just like every public enquiry ever held, a massive waste of money. No one will end up behind bars and no decisions that could lead to compensation claims will be reached.

Now that we are not too far off of two years into this, with the commonly accepted truth that covid will become endemic what can Scotgov of the UK gov point to that they have implemented for mid to long term mitigations? How many more NHS staff are in the training pipeline? How much more hospital capacity over and above any already planned has been sanctioned as a result of the pandemic to ensure future pandemics do not cripple the service?

Its all very well standing there and doing the political thing about "cant rule anythi g out".

Whats been done to ensure future outbreaks of novel diseases are dealt with differently?

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Plenty of folk in the under 25 age group will still be waiting for their second vaccine and the vast majority of the under 19 group weren't even allowed to get a vaccine until a few weeks ago.

And many will not had their first despite walk in vaccination being in place for a few weeks now.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Now that we are not too far off of two years into this, with the commonly accepted truth that covid will become endemic what can Scotgov of the UK gov point to that they have implemented for mid to long term mitigations? How many more NHS staff are in the training pipeline? How much more hospital capacity over and above any already planned has been sanctioned as a result of the pandemic to ensure future pandemics do not cripple the service?

Its all very well standing there and doing the political thing about "cant rule anythi g out".

Whats been done to ensure future outbreaks of novel diseases are dealt with differently?

That’s a fair point.

Don't like harking back to the past but I recall most towns had specific ‘infectious disease hospitals’ specifically for things like this including scarlet fever.

Seems eminently sensible.

Why invest in hospital staff and infrastructure when you can just blame football fans, pub goers and general "scum" instead?

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

This is really good to see, especially amongst the older groups. 

Saw the charts from Israel today, which I'll be honest fucking depressed me. They showed that infections amongst the fully vaccinated rising at just about the same level as the non-vaccinated. This, on the other hand, shows that they are not. 

This is the Israel chart - 

We need boosters but that was always the case.

That chart is for people aged 60+. I’d be interested to see the same chart for non old foggies.

Tbh regardless of whether it’s just bluster, I am pretty pissed off that restrictions are even being mentioned again after barely a fortnight of ‘freedom’.

I always said we should get everything open in July rather than the usual England + 3 weeks schtick as cases were always going to rise when schools went back and we have unis and cooler weather to follow.

Going to ‘beyond level 0’ on July 19th would have given 3 weeks more breathing space with no schools open.

3 hours ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Let's rule things out forever to make you feel a bit better just in case you feel you might hypothetically be very mildly inconvenienced in the future.

I'd shut this topic for a start.

The last 18 months have been a 'mild inconvenience', have they?

Over the next 6-12 months as SARS-CoV-2 truly settles into its endemic cycles as per every other respiratory virus, we won't be at any increased risk. Never in the history of western democracy have civil liberties been curtailed in what will be pre-pandemic, mundane circumstances. I think you're one of those people who finds it difficult to comprehend that it isn't going to perenially be the threat it has been up to this point. Perhaps you could try contemplating the likelihood that the four other coronaviruses which circulate in humans and cause common cold symptoms were once novel and deadly pathogens to the human population. They aren't any more - maybe you could have a think why that is?

3 hours ago, Snafu said:

McDonald's runs out of milkshake, what a shame.

Subway and the worst pub chain in the UK also struggling for fresh produce.

Blame it on because COVID and Brexit.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/mcdonalds-milkshake-subway-wetherspoons-shortage-b1907975.html

Surely you can make superior milkshakes at home though?

McDonald's milkshakes are fucking top.

18 minutes ago, Elixir said:

The last 18 months have been a 'mild inconvenience', have they?

Over the next 6-12 months as SARS-CoV-2 truly settles into its endemic cycles as per every other respiratory virus, we won't be at any increased risk. Never in the history of western democracy have civil liberties been curtailed in what will be pre-pandemic, mundane circumstances. I think you're one of those people who finds it difficult to comprehend that it isn't going to perenially be the threat it has been up to this point. Perhaps you could try contemplating the likelihood that the four other coronaviruses which circulate in humans and cause common cold symptoms were once novel and deadly pathogens to the human population. They aren't any more - maybe you could have a think why that is?

McDonald's milkshakes are fucking top.

I think you're one of those people that think McDonalds milkshakes are good. Which rather undermines the rest of your deliberately misleading and rather cunty word dribble.